Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blainel_gw

no clue what Im doing Dracaena Fragrans (Corn Plant) Care

BlaineL
13 years ago

To begin I am no gardener, this is the first and only plant I have ever tried to care for. I have read many of the articles and they have helped however it may be due to my inexperience that it the information wasn't quite sufficient.

The problems I have is brown tips, dead leaves, milky or salty looking streaks, brown/grey or dead spots within the leaves, The yellow streaks are disappearing leaving a dark green leaf, and the stalk is very thin. I started caring for this plant at my old job 6 years ago then took it with me when I left. IâÂÂm not sure how old the plant is for it was there before I started. We put it into a pot that from what I've read is too big however we must have been doing something correct because it began growing rather quickly.

the brown tips which I have read is due from a) tap water, b)not watering the plant enough, and/or c)using too much fertilizer. I have been using regular tap water once a week and fertilizing every other time, which I will discontinue immediately. I am not sure if the quantity of water I am using is also a problem.

The top leaves seem very sturdy and the ones underneath are very droopy and some completely dead.

I live in an apt so placing is rather limited currently it is located about 12 feet from a southern window. Central Texas is fairly humid, and I generally try to keep my apt. around 70 degrees.

The stalk of the plant seems like it needs the most attention but again for all I know it is normal. Where the plant sprouted from the stock, it varies from 1/2 an inch to maybe 1/4 an inch in diameter and is about a foot tall (it seems to me that it should be thinker by now).

Is there a certain angle or way to cut the brown tips of the good leaves and dead leaves?

As I said some parts of the plants seem (at least to me) healthy and other parts make the plant seem as if it were about to die. Please help

Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Blaine

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!