Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
purpleinopp

Piggy-back / double-space plants

To utilize some of the empty spaces at the soil surface of some larger plants, there's some doubling-up going on here. Do you have any space sharers like these?

The Thanksgiving cacti I got recently fit perfectly at the tops of the little home made trellises (I'd prefer trelli but spell check likes trellises better) DH made (bent) for a couple little Philos.

TC over Philo 'Micans.'

Comments (11)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    Original Author
    11 years ago

TC over Philo 'Brazil.'

Original Author
    11 years ago

A TC in a Dracaena's pot, and a Drac in a Drac.

Original Author
    11 years ago

A piece of Cordyline that's growing in water set in a pot with Easter cactus and some kind of Callisia repens.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Tradescantia spathacea in a Drac's pot.

Original Author
    11 years ago

This poor little Sans has been knocked over about 4 times in the very brief time I've had it. Hope it can recover in peace here in the pot of this weird thing which may be Philo bipinnatifidum, not sure, already defoliated from frost when I got it recently.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    11 years ago

I have quite a few plants piggy-backing in larger pots, trying to get them as much light & sun as possible...

...with ficus Benjamina:
    {{gwi:69383}}

...with bay leaf:
    {{gwi:69384}}

...with Meyer lemon:
    {{gwi:69386}}

...with variegated jade:
    {{gwi:69387}}

:Rina

Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, excellent use of spaces!!! Good looking groups. Your little succulent babies are sooo cute. I can't wait to play with my jade plant when everybody goes back outside. In the 2nd pic down, what is the smallest plant, that's kind of hiding? Whitish balls planted (or topped) in white gravel. Can't tell if it's prickly or just fuzzy, but I want to refer to it as "the ghost plant." How cute is that tiny thing?!

Love your rocks too! Wish I had brought more with me from OH but there are only 3, a pink one, a green one, and a piece of petrified wood that may be cursed but I can't part with it - probably part of the curse.

The only rocks I've found in this yard were a bag-shaped rock that used to be a bag of quickrete, a nice piece of glittery granite someone had previously installed as part of a border, an old concrete property marker, a few bricks, the top of an old storm sewer, an old concrete koi pond, several chunks of parking space border/curbs, and a headstone that says "WILSON." Assuming there's not a guy buried under my son's bedroom, (not part of the original house) but headstones usually go with graves... DH thinks it was a pet, no dates or anything, who knows? Anyway, all very ironic and the worst kind of teasing to someone who considers rocks a necessary part of the landscape. I've never once found a "real rock" bigger than a pebble digging in AL yet.

At this point, I'm still trying to turn things to keep them even but it gets harder as the puzzle of how they will and won't fit gets tighter. There may be some laziness. And some of the hanging plants worked SO hard to arrange themselves, each leaf so perfectly aimed in the same direction, part of me thinks they would be best left uneven at least while inside, to not waste energy on reorienting the leaves... or is that a healthy stress? Maybe it's the propagator in me who looks forward to chopping off uneven parts to play with in the spring rationalizing this. I don't know... Hardly seems like the same person who was recently caught saying "I won't tolerate unevenness." Is this cabin fever? Am I raving? Should people line up to smack me like in that Airplane! movie? No, wait, don't answer that.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    11 years ago

purple

You are so funny...I love the idea of cursed petrified wood, or the headstone...actually all your finds!

My rocks come from a bag from store that I bought as 'decorative pebbles' long time ago; I would much prefer rocks found by me too, but no such luck yet. Have to get out more, wondering along some of canadian lakes - sure will find some nice rocks there!

Hidden plant in small dark pot is recently bought Haworthia mirabilis mundula (as labeled); the small white balls have spines, and they are freebies that I don't have name of.

Everything is crammed together by the windows, at this point just wanting everything to live thru winter. Will be probably end of May before they will get outside and shaping-trimming-evening out will start then.

Rina

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

Since space IS at a premium ...

Well I don't do much of these piggy-back things, but it so happens I've got two of them at the moment.

This is a (mad scientist) Sans. experiment I've started in a pot w/ something else, what was that again? I think the remains of an Anthurium is in center of pot, in case it's only dormant & trying to fake me out. If it sprouts in Spring then dormant wins. Otherwise, they'll just be wacky Sans. experiments (I cut up the bottom of the rooting ends, as suggested by someone here to try for some new sports (Maybe Mr. like2you)).

{{gwi:69388}}

(Pls. excuse the drips down the wall, I have't washed them all off yet. This is dripped condensation from when I had no heat for 3 wks after Hurricane & was using gas stove to boil water to heat the kitchen. Sorry if it's (a) gross or (b) TMI, stuff happens! I'm just glad the plants haven't frozen or cooked given the wildly fluctuating heat I've been having. Sadly it did cost me some exotic Hoyas I'd been gifted this summer, but then I've still got 5 survivors out of 11).

The other is a bit of TC I dropped into a pot w/ an already existing Begonia. The TC was a small branch w/white bloom I salvaged off floor of a local HD, I liked the white bud it had & while the upper segment dropped off, the remaining segment has rooted since it's just sprouted its first new leaf.

{{gwi:69389}}

Trick seems to be keeping these 2 well watered (like every 3rd day or so).

Original Author
    11 years ago

Rina, thanks! And great showcase pic of 2 especially interesting plants, IMO. Wonder what kind of bids you'd get on Ebay for a "rare ghost camo cactcus" that looks like it's sprouting from the stones? Ha!

Wow, PG, the way you capitalize Hurricane is telling of what an awful experience it was for you - well lots of other people too but I don't "know" them. (As if 3 weeks w/o electric doesn't tell that.) So sorry that happened, to anyone! You gotta do what you gotta do, and sounds like you did it, so well done.

If you keep boiling, maybe the wall will finish washing itself. Probably not, but if you steam it up good again when you do get the gumption to address it, it'll wipe off easily. Condensation is how I keep our windows clean, well OK I admit, I occasionally wipe it off only because I want to see something outside... but our plan to not use the central heat is working. Only spent about $80 on heat for Dec (and the cost of a filter too.) And love the retained humidity, no static in my hair!

The judges ruled that, technically, your pics show companion plantings and not piggy-backs, but awarded extra points for them being propagation attempts, so you're even Steven. Cool, huh? That little Begonia looks so "juicy" and ready to Pop, and that new TC leaf is adorable. Much enjoyed looking at!

• greentoe357
    10 years ago

> the small white balls have spines, and they are freebies that I don't have name of.

Rina, those look like mammillaria gracilis v. fragilis to me. Google the pic and see if the ID is right. I have those too - they are ridiculously prolific little buggers.