Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carol2004_gw

Peace lily help

carol2004
9 years ago

Hi I have a peace lily but not sure what I'm doing wrong. I water it once a week being sure not to over or under water. Here is a pic.

Comments (10)

• tlbean2004
    9 years ago

You dont need to water it once a week. You might over water it this way. Only water it when the leaves start to droop. Then when you water it you will notice the leaves will stiffen back up.

• tlbean2004
    9 years ago

I dont know if this posted the first time, but i was saying...

You could overwater it by watering once a week.
    The peace lilly will tell you when it needs water.
    when you notice that the leaves are drooping that is when you need to water it. A few hours after you give it water you will notice that the leaves will go back erect/ upright.

• carol2004
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have watered it yesterday and this is what it looks like still

• Jasdip
    9 years ago

I'd cut off the yellow/dying leaves and stick my finger into the soil. If it's wet or damp at all, don't water it again until your finger feels dry when you test the soil again.

• tlbean2004
    9 years ago

You are overwatering it.

• carol2004
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So if I leave watering it do u think it will get better. Where abouts do I cut yellow leafs off to

• brodyjames_gw
    9 years ago

Location is important also. I had a peace lily on a buffet in my kitchen. No matter what I did to/for that plant, it would turn yellow and droop. As a last resort, I put it in my home office and it has responded quite well. Over the last 3 years since I have moved it, it has put out more growth and even bloomed multiple times.
    Water it only when you notice the leaves are drooping, and water it thoroughly....so that you see water coming out the drainage holes. Then, don't water it again until you see it drooping. Also, keep it out of direct light.
    And as mentioned, remove the yellow leaves, they won't green up again.

Nancy

• carol2004
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you. I have done this and will see how it goes and update.

• tlbean2004
    9 years ago

Ok.
    Good Luck!

• Dixie_Woman
    9 years ago

Where do I cut off the yellow leaves?

Cut the yellow leaves at the stem as close to the soil as possible without damaging other stems.

The younger leaves turning yellow may be from too little light. Where is the plant situated? Does it have access to steady indirect light? (Never put a Spathiphyllum in direct sunlight.)

Another possibility is to give it a slightly larger (1-2 inch increased diameter pot) using a high quality potting soil. If I love the plant, I'll splurge on Miracle Grow. The larger pot may reduce blooming (tight pots encourage blooming) but may make the plant more tolerant of watering variability.

YouâÂÂre not overwatering the plant. If you did, the tips of each leaf would turn black (like my small Spathiphyllum). We would all recognize that.