Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chadfran

Indoor Corn Plant

chadfran
11 years ago

I have a corn plant that seems to be dieing. The leaves started spotting with yellow then started turning brown. It started happening when the city started playing with their water, so I thought it was chlorine damage. I started filling water jugs to let the chlorine dissipate, but it didn't get better. I usually water once a week, but had to cut back because I topped off the pot with this new potting soil that retains the water better. So I'm watering now every 3rd to 4th week now. The light isn't direct but gets a good coverage when my wife doesn't close the curtains. She closes them more then I would like. I have a vent near the plant and in the summer I open the windows for a cross breeze, so that may be a factor. Any thoughts?

Comments (7)

• Dzitmoidonc
    11 years ago

Chadfran, can we assume that the floor vent visible in you photo blows warm dry air across your plant? That could be part of the problem. The air from that vent is about 0% humidity.

• chadfran
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I closed off the vent and will see if that makes a difference.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Don't know how/why I didn't see this days ago. From your mention of topping off the soil, I wonder if the roots were a visible jumble in the pot? That could be causing problems for the plant too, in addition to the stuff below...

How long have you had it?

"I topped off the pot with this new potting soil that retains the water better. So I'm watering now every 3rd to 4th week now."

You thought you were helping, but unfortunately topping off the pot, and doing it with that kind of stuff, is actually a recipe for disaster.

I'm also concerned about what looks like an attached saucer. If it is, that's going to be very cumbersome, trying to empty that whenever you water. Leaving water sitting in the drip tray is something to which roots will have adverse reactions. Add some water chemicals (which are staying in the pot for extended periods) and the damage will show up quickly and drastically, as you've seen.

When soil dries quickly (because it does not retain excess water, not just because it's too packed full of roots,) that is what is healthy for almost any house plants. Sitting in soggy soil is an unnatural state that usually/often causes roots to rot. For a healthier plant, the soil should be chunky, porous, airy, not containing fine particles that behave like a sponge, holding water forever until they're suddenly completely dry and water just runs off.

It's usually recommended to wait until the days are longer, the rays are stronger to repot house plants, but I might do it pretty quick for this particular plant because I suspect it may be unable to regain its' health in the current conditions. If you'd like to wait to repot, when it does finally dry out, take it to a sink or shower and gently flood it with water, flushing the entire surface and contents thoroughly, then make sure it is finished dripping before putting the pot back on the drip saucer. While you're thinking about it, I would urge you to remove whatever soil you added, back to the original level.

You're right that this plant doesn't need direct sun in some places, but you're in Canada and it's winter, so indirect rays may be insufficient at this time. Others with this plant in far north locations would be best to answer that, but just the difference from moving from OH to AL is amazing, dramatic.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dracaena diseases

This post was edited by purpleinopp on Sat, Jan 26, 13 at 13:20

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

Indoor corn plant? Is there an outdoor kind? Here in England theyre all indoor ;)

• mrlike2u
    11 years ago

Indoor corn plant? Is there an outdoor kind?
    Yes I'm told the out door kind is great at BB-Qs too several types of out door corn are grown but none of them are related to Dracaena

• Dzitmoidonc
    11 years ago

Larry, your outdoor corn plants are called maize. Since we grow a whole lot more corn that youall do, why don't you work on changing your language to match ours? :)

The Irish writer George Bernard Shaw once said: 'England and America are two countries divided by a common language'.
    More proof, as if any were needed.

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

Thats the trouble with common names! Corn plant is Dracaena, but I just call em Dracaena. Money Plant can be many plants, als Ice Plant.