Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bugsorter

Schefflera troubles

Bugsorter
18 years ago

I have a large schefflera that resides outside in the summer until mid October if warm enough. Within 2 weeks the leaves start dropping after I bring it in for the winter. I have scheffleras that live indoors all year but do not have the same problem. I've tried feeding, spraying to no avail. By the time it warms up enough to move it out again it has lost 75% or more of it's leaves.What's up with this plant? My gardenia does the same thing. I noticed with that plant that after it flowers it seems to lose alot of leaves so I figure that its normal but the schefflera doesn't flower so I'm at a loss. Anybody else have this problem?

Comments (23)

• birdsnblooms
    18 years ago

I agree with Al..If you're having this problem yearly, then next fall I'd bring indoors in Sept..
    If possible, gradually move the Scheff to a shadier spot until it's indoors..I'd bet if you do this defoliation will halt.
    As for the gardenia, I think it's a light/air problem..I keep my gardenia's out late in the yr..in fact they're the last to come indoors since they like cold temps..Then again, when I bring mine it, thay are set in a cool room/south window. Misted daily, and my house is fairly humid. If you've a cool room with bright windows, that'd be the best place to set your gardenia.
    If you've ever noticed in a florist shop, gardenias are kept in cool friges. Especially when they're in flower..the cold air keeps flowers alive and well.
    I also think misting is important..so if possible, mist away. Do not bring either plant in a hot room from cooler, air-ciruclated outside. Toni

• Bugsorter
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Unfortunately my house is hot and dry. I will try bringing the schefflera in earlier and putting it in the shade first to see if that helps. Thanks!

• grice
    18 years ago

Bug,I have the same problem as well.
    I will take the scheff out in May and bring back in around late Sept. and the leaf drop starts.
    It has not been as severe this year as last year when the tree dropped most of its leaves but it has dropped them.
    I can't offer any advice,just wanted to chime in that it happens to my tree as well.

• birdsnblooms
    18 years ago

One suggestion I have to offer is bring those that drop leaves in a month earlier than you normally would..So if you haul them indoors in Sept, try for Aug..Even 2 wks may make a difference. I notice this w/citrus. When I keep out till Oct, my citrus drop more than they would if I bring in earlier..so I've been lugging them indoors in Sept. I'm not saying this will stop leaf drop completely but it's worth a try..Toni

• Marian_2
    18 years ago

I always bring my Schefflera ( Brassaia ) back in at least 2 weeks before the time that I may have to heat the house . It never loses it leaves . ( I do have a problem with scale , though . So far this winter it is clean . )
    Marian

• maxwell_smart
    17 years ago

I have a dozen 10 y/o Schefs, 3-5' in 12" pots that got left in a cold dark room for about a week. Brought them to the new house and they lost all their leaves, but the stems are still green or old-tree looking.

They're now in a 70 degree room with Southern windows (albiet, Washington S exposure.) Should I just tolerate their nakedness for a few months? Prune? Take the handfull of leaves off or leave them? I love these guys. They're my own personal jungle.

Am I right that they'll just come back bushier than ever?

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    17 years ago

Should I just tolerate their nakedness for a few months? ... as opposed to putting the leaves back on? ;o)

Whether and how fast a new flush of growth occurs depends mainly on the amount of energy stored in cambial tissues when defoliation occurred (an indicator of this is the vitality with which the plant was growing before it started into its winter rest period), amount of light currently available, and current temperatures.

Cold/dark (especially sudden) = leaf abscission. That's tree physiology & is predictable. Do not prune or remove any but that tissue known to be dead. Schefflera has a good amount of chlorophyll in stem tissues & retains the ability to photosynthesize with reasonable efficiency, even when defoliated. Of course, allowing existing leaves to remain increases photosynthesizing surface and enhances the plant's ability to feed itself, so please do not further defoliate.

Al

• maxwell_smart
    17 years ago

Thanks, Al.

Unfortunately most of them are already bare, and the ones with leaves left have maybe a dozen or so groups on them. BUT the good news is that they're all sprouting a few little new leaves! Even the ones I thought were completely toasted.

So I guess now my question is food and water, because I'm determined to bring these guys back. I assume as much light as I can give them, being as I'm in W. Washington?

BTW, they were really healthy when they froze. I don't think I ever saw a lost leaf, and they sprouted a new cluster every week or two all summer.

It started with one plant that I picked up at a garage sale and split into five pots. A few years later I split all of those. They've been healthy, beautiful and happy for a good ten years.

I'm hoping they all come back.

• _Tara_
    11 years ago

We had unseasonably warm weather through the fall, and I live in a small apartment, so I didn't rush to bring my schefflera in, and it froze completely one night. It was a sudden freeze, which destroyed the plant at the cellular level and turned all the leaves (and even the 1"-thick stalk) black.

I brought it in and over the past two months have cut off dried-out, dead foliage, hoping to refocus the plant's energy on what it can still salvage. Gradually, I cut off more and more, trimming the stalk a bit last month and today noticing the remaining stalk is completely dried out. I started to trim the dry (clearly permanently dead) stalk off, and it broke off easily, revealing a seemingly rotten, BLACK center. I got carried away and cut the stalk down all the way to the wood.

At the base, right at the soil line, there are a few healthy green baby leaves remaining, and I see some new buds of leaves sprouting up. See photo.

How can I help this plant stay alive??

Thank you!

11 years ago

Be very judicious of how you water. Scheffs tolerate dry conditions much better than wet. WAIT until the soil is almost dry before you water again, then water thoroughly, and wait until the soil dries down again. Keep the plant warm (>65*) and in very bright light.

Let me know if you want more tips.

Al

This post was edited by tapla on Tue, Jan 15, 13 at 7:40

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

A lot of Schefflera species can grow as epiphytes, there's even one species that grows as a vine. But although they like a lot of water and high humidity, they also like the water to be able to get away from their roots very fast. Lots of epiphytes can go dry for a while without any ill effects. And needless to say, they also like warmth. So if you can keep it warm and not drown it you shouldn't have any problems. But remember that a pot is surrounded by air so cold can penetrate through to the roots quicker than with a plant in the ground. You need to avoid exposure to freezes.

• cheryl yoder
    8 years ago

My Schefflera is outside all year, we've been here 18 years and it has been beautiful all seasons green but now is loosing all its leaves, what can I do ? is it dying?

8 years ago

Where is 'here'? Was it outside all summer? Are you fertilizing it regularly? with what? how often? what strength? How long since last repot or potting-up? Which of the 2 did you do for the plant? Are you watering when you can still detect a little moisture in the soil with a finger? Are you watering so you're flushing accumulating salts from fertilizer solution and tap water every time you water? or at least regularly? The more effort you make to supply the information to guide us, the more specific the suggestions and information we offer will be.

Al

• cheryl yoder
    8 years ago

We are in San Diego it's an 8 foot tree never fertilized it its in the ground since before we lived here almost 20 years old tree

• cheryl yoder
    8 years ago

What can I fertilize it with is it too late? Love this tree

• cheryl yoder
    8 years ago

I really left more info but don't see it here sorry please ask more questions don't want to loose my tree

• cheryl yoder
    8 years ago

I've tried to leave a photo but seems not to work - there we go

• garyfla_gw
    8 years ago

Hi

That's really odd . I've one growing by the front door for over 30 years and remove 50 percent twice a year and it recovers in a flash.lol I would suggest you dig up around it sounds like something is getting to the roots ?? Any unusual conditions lately?? Something must be bothering the roots for that sudem a change can't imagine what it would be . I had an armadillo dig up over 2/3's of the roots and it didn't even slow down . have never seen any bug or disease affect one keep us informed I'm very curious ?? gary

• davers71
    8 years ago

That' Crazy ,Hope your tree Makes it.

• davers71
    8 years ago

I have several Shefs in the garage ,I put them in there every Winter for over 10 years. About 2+ weeks ago the temp got down to around 24 o & the Garage Door got left open from est midnight -7:30 am .On many of the 3-4 foot plants (they still had activity growing Tips ) Now the tips are all bent over & many of the outer Sucker leaves look a Dark Green (ie went from a 25yo Skin to a 70yo ) over night . Soo I have Gathered I should Cut back all that I can tell is Dead?

funny it did not effect the Cuttings I had on a 3 ft table .?

I was also thinking about bringing them inside after I trim then , Would this be a Shock as well.?

Thanks Davers71

8 years ago

Scheffs start 2 shut down once the temp gets much below 60-65*, which essentially means the plant is operating on energy reserves, rather than currently produced photosynthate. Obviously, if a plant is using more energy than it's making, it's on the way down the drain unless the trend is reversed. Bringing the plants indoors won't 'shock' them, and can only be viewed s a good thing from the plant's perspective. Removing the dead parts won't have an impact on any ultimate outcomes - it's an esthetic consideration only.

Al

• davers71
    8 years ago

Thanks So Much for the advice. I know all will be well.