Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tiajolie_gw

Corn Plant dying fast!! Please help!!

Tiajolie
9 years ago

Hello,

I received a corn plant a few days (5 days) ago. It was originally used on a fashion shoot set and then donated to me after the shoot ended. It was transported from Manhattan to Brooklyn (about 1 mile) in the back of a pick up truck in 20 degree (Fahrenheit) weather. I posted a photo of what it looked like when I got it (see image 1).

When I got the CP, I noticed that some of the leaves on one side had turned brown, but I did not think much of it because it was my first corn plant and it looked healthy otherwise. I also noticed that there were small brown dots on most, if not all of the leaves.

The plant is in the living room in a north/east facing corner. There are bay windows in the south east/west end of the room so there is adequate lighting in the room. The temperature can get very dry due to the old heating system. (I live in Brooklyn, NY in a brownstone building built in 1901 -- with two massive radiators in the living room).

The soil was dry, but I did not water it the first day. On day two, I noticed that the leaves were starting to droop a little and the leaves appeared to be more brown. I checked the soil again and it was loose at the very top and seemed dry to the touch an inch into the soil. I decided to give it a little water (room temperature).

The next day (day three), the corn plant seemed to look worse than it did the day before. The leaves are drooping, dry with brown leaves. I added more water, just enough to water the roots and I dried up the excess water at the bottom.

I should add that the CP is sitting on a plastic bag with two brown Trader Joes paper bags underneath the plastic bag. It did not come with a tray and I haven't had a chance to buy one yet. The pot is 13 inches in size. I do not know if it has been repotted, if it needs repotting or anything about its history -- other than the fact that it was used on set before I acquired it.

Day 5 the CP looks lifeless and most of the leaves are brown. (see photos images 2 to 8)

What should I do?

What am I doing wrong?

How do I save my plant? It's only been five days, but I have become very attached to it and I would hate to lose it.

PLEASE HELP!

Thanks so much.

Tiajolie

Comments (14)