Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
talb3rtg

Help with peace lily

talb3rtg
9 years ago

Hi,
I hope someone can help with a peace lily I have in my possession. My neighbor has had it for 7+ years, and is moving to the the east coast in a couple of days. She asked if I would take care of it indefinitely because she forgot to send it by car with her husband. It looks kinda thin, and although I have a decent peace lily myself (except for brown tips), I'm not sure what I need to do to help this little guy (or gal :) put on some weight. It's not planted very deeply. I'm hoping to attach 2 pictures, one of the full plant and one of the base of the plant, which is above soil level. It looks like I can only attach 1, so I may have to send the other separate. Again, any suggestions will be really appreciated. TIA -Gerri

This post was edited by G3rri on Thu, Apr 10, 14 at 12:32

Comments (7)

• talb3rtg
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is the other photo :)

• summersunlight
    9 years ago

I have found that peace lilies REALLY enjoy hydroculture if you want to experiment a bit. Link attached if you are interested.

However even if you don't want to attempt hydro, I do think it looks like it could benefit from being repotted into some better soil. Its current soil looks pretty heavy. I'd repot it into some fresh soil that is light and drains well. Even though peace lilies like moisture, a heavy, wet soil doesn't let the roots get enough oxygen. While repotting I would remove all those dried out brown leaf remnants since those things only give pests a place to hide.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hydroculture how-to

This post was edited by summersunshine on Thu, Apr 10, 14 at 11:40

• Vikki
    9 years ago

Chlorine in tap water can make the leaf tips turn brown in peace lilies. Try letting the water set out overnight or, better yet, for 24 hours before watering.

I agree on the repotting. It looks like it could use a good refreshing of its soil.

• talb3rtg
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, vivey. I'll start sitting the water out before giving them a drink. I should probably make use of the abundance of rainwater we get here in OR as well:) Hopefully, I will be able to post a better looking follow-up pic:)

• tropicbreezent
    9 years ago

I agree with the others. But rainwater is the best, if you have enough all year then only use it. PLs don't like stagnant water around the roots, it's a real killer. Yet they grow well in fresh (aerated) water. I have some in a pond. The automatic sprinkler system sends a spray over them each day and that displaces any old water sitting around the roots.

• garyfla_gw
    9 years ago

Tropic
    I grow them in pots ,in the ground but the best are in standing water,I say best because they flower more and they last longer.. Water is provided by the water garden overflow which comes from the roof though supplemented with city when dry. so would guess somewhat fresh though I have no pumps or filtration on either.
    I have grown them totally submerged in aquariums but the trick there is very strong light and I suspect the correct specie??
    Have seen them growing in Costa rica where they were periodicly flooded. Even some that were flooded by high tide which really surprised me !! May have been another specie of plant but sure looked like spaths lol gary

• tropicbreezent
    9 years ago

An open body of water will naturally oxygenate to a depth of about 2 metres. So a garden pond shouldn't have too much trouble with oxygenation if there's reasonable air flow around it. And then the nutrients (fish 'manure') added to that would make it perfect for watering plants. So no wonder the Spaths are doing so well. Even if your ponds are topped up by town water, going through the pond would 'fix' it up. My water is from a bore, 45 metres underground. I doubt there'd be any oxygen left at that level. But being sprayed through the air by the sprinklers would help.

Surprised they'd grow in tidal areas. But maybe the tide is backing up fresh water and it's the fresh that's actually inundating them.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm