Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
diana55_gw

Why won't my Peace Lily Flower?

diana55
16 years ago

I have a Peace Lily and it doesn't grow any flowers. Does anyone know what I am doing wrong? It gets lots of light, water when it's dry, and I do fertilize it, every now and then.Thank You!!! Diana55

Comments (13)

• GrowHappy
    16 years ago

Is it a young plant or mature plant? What light exposure are you giving it- East, West, South, North? How many inches is it away from the light source? Is it potbound or does it still have a ways to go before the roots fill the pot?

GH

• greattigerdane
    16 years ago

Growhappy asked some good questions!

I noticed you said you (water when it's dry) Make sure the soil stays a little bit on the moist side at all times. They don't like to dry out, or stay too wet.Water the soil thoroughly when the top inch or two of soil starts to feel close to dry, but not dried out.

Billy Rae

• birdsnblooms
    16 years ago

I agree w/GH and Billy Rae. I've notice that PL's that were a bit rootbound will bloom faster.
    What type of fertilizer are you using? Toni

• lil-again
    16 years ago

1st they really don't like fertilizer all that well. also is it pot bound? they often won't bloom until pot bound. also do keep slightly damp, but not soggy.

this will keep your plant happiest & will bloom soon.

lil.

• watergal
    16 years ago

Best to let it get ALMOST dry before watering - if it wilts, that was too dry, but don't keep it soggy or the roots will rot (been there, done that).

I find that a normal dose of MiracleGro or Osmocote will lead to nice blooms within 3 to 6 weeks. They do bloom better when potbound.

• birdsnblooms
    16 years ago

Diana, aside from a PL being rootbound, (to a degree) I notice when I let soil really dry out a few wks, then give a heary watering, flower buds form..
    I'm not telling you to deprive watering, but this is what works for me..Toni

• watergal
    16 years ago

Toni has a good point, and I've seen the same with spaths. Many tropical plants will respond to a mild drought stress by blooming.

• triciacarol33
    11 years ago

I have had a peach lily for 10 years now, it was my moms, and in all that time I have only ever had 1 bloom, what am I doing wrong.

• garyfla_gw
    11 years ago

Hi
    Though i grow PL in pots none are on the house They are located in dappled light fern bed or in the shadehouse .I use two methods one enriched soil second in sand in standing water in a shady marsh garden, They invaribly flower in spring though have noted that a temp drop will often spur flowers. Don't know if that would help you or not ??
    Since I use them as garden plants they experience down to frost over the year . Seems to me they flower more heavily from this, short of a hard freeze. that is fatal.
    lol gary

• rosebuddy
    11 years ago

Have a peace lily which never flowered for five years up in my kitchen which had proper light, proper water etc. and thrived just fine otherwise. I decided to put it in the lower level of the house which has the same amount of light, but we keep that level much cooler as it is not the living area. It has flowered many times since the move and now has a new flower forming as we move into the cold winter temps. I'm thinking it likes a colder temperature than we humans do, as garyfla suggests

• garyfla_gw
    11 years ago

Hi
    Don't know if it's good for them ,in my case that's what ma nature dishes out lol. Usually flowering in Feb
    but alway seasonal.
    Have often wondered when you go to nurseries they are always in flower they know something?? lol gary

• dellis326 (Danny)
    11 years ago

Nursery plants are often treated with gibberellic acid or something similar to force flower them.

I've read somewhere, but can't find and verify the info that it can take a long time for some plants to recover from it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Spathiphyllum care