Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maidinmontana

Proper care and feeding of a peace lily

maidinmontana
17 years ago

I was awarded with a beautiful peace lily that was from my dear Grammas funneral last October. It is in a 1 gallon pot (original from nursery I'm sure). As I am good at growing plants I wanted to take extra caution with this as it has special meaning to me. So I did some research and learned it's needs, wants and requirements. It is doing very well. It has constant new growth as in leaves, I did notice a very small flower tucked way in the middle at the very bottom of the pot, I really had to look to see it. I read where they like to be root bound but what is TOO root bound. When do I know when to re pot it? I plan on taking to nursery to have this done as it is a huge plant. I am 5'7" and it comes past my waist and is bigger around than I can reach. I don't want to tackle the beast. It is so big I have to be careful what I set beside it as it tends to "over power" almost everything. I water it regularily when it feels somewhat dry whan I stick my finger in it, I have only fertilized it twice since Oct last year, Once a month I set it in the bathtub and soak it really good with about 2 gallons of water and leave it there to drain well. It never gets direct sunlight but the room is full of natural light, now in the summer the average temp is about 70 degrees but usually about 68 degrees. Question, when do I know when to re pot it and how do you encourage blooms? I wish my camera was here so I could take a pic it is so pretty I have never seen one like it before. I want to keep it forever. Any and all advice is welcome.

Comments (13)

• watergal
    17 years ago

I wait to repot mine until they are at the point where they are drying out so frequently that they are a pain to water.

Fertilize according to package directions with a good fertilizer like MiracleGro or Osmocote and you'll see many flowers forming within a few weeks unless it's in a really dark spot.

• buyorsell888
    17 years ago

I have houseplants that haven't been repotted in ten years. Repotting is often for you, not the plant.

No plant ever died from not being repotted and many have died because they were repotted.

If it stops growing and flowering or if the soil is all roots so it is drying out more frequently than usual, then worry about repotting.

• maidinmontana
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Took the advise on fertilizing from watergal, I used miracle grow once, got two flowers, used it 2 weeks later I now have 6 buds. . . yipppee! Thanks flower gal.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    17 years ago

Though I would never in a million years suggest that someone wait for ten years to repot a houseplant, one of the worst things you can do to a Peace Lily is OVER pot it. By that, we mean moving it up to a container that is too large.

Peace lilies are quite sensitive and can be a challenge. They like to have an evenly moist soil, but despise soggy conditions or wet feet. Those conditions can be avoided with a very coarse, fast draining potting mix, but alot of folks don't know how to provide that and the average soil-less potting medium just doesn't cut it. Actually, it's probably the quality of the average potting medium that makes it difficult for some people to grow these great plants.

Sounds like you've got a good 'feel' for your plant, and I suspect that you'll do fine. Do some searches here and in the container forum to get some ideas about potting medium options. Providing your plants with a good, coarse mix makes growing even 'touchy' plants very easy.

• gw:plant_babies
    17 years ago

I noticed when watering a certain variety of Peace Lily - a branch would die. This stopped when I began to water it from below!

This particular variety is a pain -- it has never flowered, and won't let me move it from its 'spot' in the bathtub surround. The other variety I have outdoors is growing like crazy, and flowering.

I used time-release fertilizer for houseplants on the pain-in-the-butt last year. I can still see it in the soil.

Possibly I need to switch to a fert. for flowering plants?

:)

• birdsnblooms
    17 years ago

Plantbaby, if you fertilize one a month, you can always alternate plant foods..One month an all purpose, the next month blooming. Start in Mar and stop in Sept or Oct, whenever the days shorten. Toni

• marcheline
    17 years ago

I've had a large peace lily in my living room for about six or seven years now. Always looked nice, tho it rarely flowered.

The other day I decided to fertilize it with some timed release plant food.

Now, the stalks and leaf stems are like rubber - the whole thing has flopped over and won't stand up on its own.

HELP!

I'm deciding between just chucking it out or giving it a drastic crew cut and 'starting over'.

- M

Here is a link that might be useful: Marcheline's Mental Meatloaf

• angieb-peace
    17 years ago

I was given apeace lily by a dear friend after my mothers funeral. It well for about 11 months now its leaves are turning brown and yellow. I was told to pinch off the leaves but now it looks almost naked. What can I do for this plant. I do not want it to die. Please help me and my plant.

• greattigerdane
    17 years ago

You would probably get more answers if you posted this separately, but I'll try to help if I can.

First, you need to figure out why the leaves are turning yellow and brown.
    Peace lilies don't like constant wet soil, or dry soil, you have th find a happy medium since this plant like evenly semi moist soil at all times.
    A couple things to keep in mind. The pot should only be an inch larger than the root-ball, they like to be snug in their pot like many indoor plant do.

Need for a good draining soil is essential. I like to add "Perlite" to the soil which helps with drainage. It can be found at any of the box stores like Lowe's.

The leaves can burn in direct sun, keep it where it gets bright light, but no direct hot sun.

When the top inch of the soil starts to feel close to dry, water the soil thoroughly spilling out any excess water out of the saucer.

As far as fertilizing, use only half strength or less, too much can cause the roots to burn.

Billy Rae

• glendac105_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

I also got a peace lily from my husband's father's funeral and what I call a hawaiian plant (heart shaped leaves and red tube flowers. They have both been repotted because I thought the moss was absorbing most of the water. I know peace lillies like crotons usually tell you when they are in need of water because they droop and both don't like direct sun. Don't know what I'm doing wrong. Pretty sure they aren't getting over watered. Both have quite a few brown leaves. Have used some miracle grow but not often in either.

• jhlpsyd_aol_com
    12 years ago

I received a beautiful peace plant from my best friend and intended to take good care of it. I usually do fairly well with plants. Not this time. It seems that everytime I water it, which is about once per week, I lose a flower or a leave turns yellow and dies. I have tried watering less as the soil felt damp but that didn't work either. Today I came in to find the leaves are sagging. It is on the floor and only gets indirect/little sun. I planned on putting it on the window sill, although it can't stay there for long bc of its height, and see how that works. Any advice? Thanks Joan

• slickrick2003
    11 years ago

Sorry to hear that but what I do for both of mine if first stay away from any mirico grow products threw my experience I had the same problem. So I changed soil and everything I give my plant specialy the soil is number one I use the all perpose black Gold potting soil and put inserts inside the pot and gave it a good flush with bottle water and then I just left it till almost dried soil and then water it again I do it ones a week and trust me it work. I hope my treatment work for you, the mirico grow soil and other products for me they don't work. Here is a picture of how they look now. If you won't go to my Facebook garden page and see all my plants using the Black Gold soil

• HU-284531115
    5 years ago

I have had this one since April. When I got it, it only had 2 blooms and now it has. 12 full blooms and 2 budding. All I do is water it twice a week. Monday's and Thursday's.