Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
topshopper19

What are the most common problems encountered with peace lily's?

topshopper19
9 years ago

Hello,

Can someone point out some of the most common problems encountered with peace lily's?

I want to plan ahead.

Thanks

:)

x

Comments (9)

• christine1950
    9 years ago

They tend to dry out quickly if they arent watered correctly, I keep mine moist but not wet., You'll get alot of great advice here....

• bkempress
    9 years ago

watering is pretty much the biggest issue

water but don't over water give it light but not too much if you want to have flowers I don't think they flower in full sun I could be wrong Im a newbie as well

Mine is on my table about 4 feet from my window and I water when it feels dry. Have really good drainage so the roots wont rot add a good amount perilite in your soil to help

If the leaves start to turn yellow somethings wrong its either over watered or needs to re-pot (re-potting was needed in my case)

when the plant is watered the leaves kinda have a bounce to it..the more water is needs the less bounce the plant has so that's the easiest indication of the water level in the plant

they say to mist..mine hasnt changed from misting or not misting but this plant I do like to baby a little so I do mist it maybe once a week

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    9 years ago

By far, the most common issue is soil related, - usually a soil that retains an excessive volume of soil for so long it affects root function and/or causes root rot. This issue is often oversimplified and filed under the 'over-watering' heading, but is actually more complicated than that simplification.

Closely following over-watering are nutritional issues or problems associated with unfavorable lighting, the former often inextricably connected with soils that hold too much water.

Root congestion is another common issue that causes poor growth, sparse foliage, and a laundry list of other issues that diminish eye appeal.

Al

• User
    9 years ago

Also, the misting of the leaves is useful in keeping the dust removed. If your a/c and heating system leave dust in the air, then washing the leaves is a good idea.

My peace lilies stay outdoors in the summer, in the shade beneath a huge camellia sasanqua "tree". I spray the pot down with a 1-to-10 mix of household ammonia and water before I bring them inside (to clear away any hitchhikers). Then they spend the 3-4 months of cooler weather in the living room getting southern light but no direct sun.

I have 3 kinds of peace lilies....the normal kind, the variegated leaf, and then the huge one -- which I thought was a white bird of paradise when I bought it! HUGE leaves.
    {{gwi:101296}}
    {{gwi:101297}}
    {{gwi:101298}}
    {{gwi:101299}}

• lynngun
    9 years ago

My first house plant was a peace lily. At the age of probably ten years old I was not consistent with my watering. I would consistently forget to water it. During that time I came to believe that the best quality of peace lilys was that they would droop a lot when they needed water. If it was not for that I think that it would have died. One thing is that the leaves lose they're shine when dust covers them. This can be fixed with a wet rag or paper towel. Also the plants leaves tend to turn brown on the edges. I have not found out how to prevent this. If you start having the same problem you can cut off the brown part to make it look better, if you want to. don't cut the part that is not all of they way brown, its like fingernails, don't go to far.
    LG.

• lauraeli_
    9 years ago

Water with bottled water or rain water to prevent leaf-tip burn from the chemicals in the tap. Letting the water sit overnight will not remove fluoride. Peace lilies are sensitive to it. The leaf tips WILL turn brown and die back if you water consistently with tap water. Doing it every once in a while is ok, if it is really thirsty and you havent anything else on hand.

• stewartsjon
    9 years ago

Developing what Tapla said, watering is the problem. People have told me that they get the most flowering by watering when the plant is just starting to sag.

As I do it commercially I work with sealed pots so I have to keep them pretty wet at times, occasionally (particularly the large ones (Spath Sensation) will flop even when wet, which is (as far as I can tell) down to the roots becoming desensitised by being too wet for too long.

By and large they are a pretty trouble free plant, they don't tend to get many pests, occasionally soil borne stuff from being wet. This summer we installed about 50 small troughs full of four peace lilies each in a new contract so I'm kind of over them at the moment!

Pic here if I'm allowed to link to my work blog.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to my blog post

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    9 years ago

Rain water, snow melt, distilled water, as well as air conditioner or dehumidifier condensate are pretty much free of dissolved solids, but bottled water can be very high in dissolved solids, so it isn't reliable as an effective hindrance to necrosis of leaf tips and/or margins.

When plants wilt while the soil is still moist, it's a very good bet the soil is too wet, and starved of enough oxygen for roots to function normally, which, since water uptake is an energy driven process, causes loss of turgor and wilting. Unless root function is severely compromised, affected plants normally regain turgor and stand up again as they close stomata in preparation for the dark cycle. If a plant wilts during the day & recovers turgidity at night while the soil is still damp or wet, it needs less water in the rhizosphere or a soil that has better aeration/holds less water at container capacity (when saturated).

Al

• lauraeli_
    9 years ago

Thank you for clarifying, Al. I usually use distilled water for my peace lilies. When i used spring water, they were still much happier than when I used water from the tap. Mileage varies. All tap water is not the same, and all spring water is not the same. Distilled seems to be a safe bet across the board.