Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tipsplants

New good site and community

tipsplants
11 years ago

Hi all!!!

I would like to introduce you with new site of lovers houseplants TipsPlants.com

You will find a lot of information and photos different plants, questions and answers for all. Join US!

Comments (31)

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    11 years ago

You're at a plant site, and you're suggesting we should use another plant site? Ochen strany!

• elichka
    11 years ago

Jeff

I love your Russian LOL

Inna

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    11 years ago

If you think YOUR site is cool, this one will blow your mind!!!

Al

• brodyjames_gw
    11 years ago

I am going to assume that English is not your first language due to the numerous spelling, grammatical and sentence structure errors on your website, as well as your location of Belarus. Investing the time to correct these errors would make your website appear more professional.

I see you just joined gardenweb today. Why not look around and see what we have to offer first, before posting advertising for a new site? It's the polite thing to do......

• plantmasterm
    11 years ago

this happens to be the best site on the web..Im sure many would back me up on that, so pls don't insult us

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

Al...cute!

• tipsplants
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks all for yours opinions! Really my first language is not English, but I and my friends love houseplants and gardening, because of that we created this site.

brodyjames,
    Please be so kind and show me examples of pages or text with mistakes, this very help us. We just want create a good site and share our knowledge.
    Thanks in advance!

I know this site gardenweb.com for may be 6 month, very intresting information and people. I'm just joined because I don't knew what to say :)
    Sorry for my English

• dellis326 (Danny)
    11 years ago

Al, you're such a smart a**, That's hilarious!

Really though, how many us here only visit GW? I probably have at least a dozen other plant forums bookmarked not to mention blogs and regular info sites. As long as the intent is to help people grow better what's the problem?

• TheMasterGardener1
    11 years ago

plantmasterm,

"this happens to be the best site on the web..Im sure many would back me up on that, so pls don't insult us"

Hahaha funny joke.

Plantmasterm, did you check out Tapla's link? ;)

Plantmasterm, are you here to advertise another forum, or ask a question?

Your sight looks like it was set up by a 5 year old......

• TheMasterGardener1
    11 years ago

sight or site?

TheMasterGardener1- You can't spell!

• TheMasterGardener1
    11 years ago

Wow! OOps I thought plantmasterm was the OP!?

• TheMasterGardener1
    11 years ago

I clearly thought the OP said:

"this happens to be the best site on the web..Im sure many would back me up on that, so pls don't insult us"

Which was not the case! I got mixed up, and I am sorry.

11 years ago

Well, at least you don't call yourself The Master Poster, so there's that.

• plantmasterm
    11 years ago

TMG1, I accept your apology, cactusmcharris, I may have misinterpreted but was that a jab at me because of my user name?..that's what I got from it but if I misunderstood accept my apology.

11 years ago

Not a jab at anyone, but I don't understand the propensity for 'master' in someone's user name, particularly when basic plant questions are asked by them. I do like the soupcon of irony, however.

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    11 years ago

I'm kind of rethinking my part in this thing after the OP's second post. Sure, it's against the rules to advertise another site, and at first, I thought that's all it was, but the OP's second post seemed so sincere & humble that I sorta feel shamed by my own making funny on someone else's back - even though I didn't mean for it to be too biting. If the person is intentionally taking advantage, he/she prolly deserves some or all of the hard time he/she's getting. Maybe I'm being taken in, but the thing is, after the second post it seems to me I reached a conclusion that I might not be able to justify in my mind. Jus' sayin' ....

Al

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

At least X amount of people could make a decision about what to say. I fail. But I am curious - why write your website in English?

• TheMasterGardener1
    11 years ago

"Sure, it's against the rules to advertise another site, and at first, I thought that's all it was, but the OP's second post seemed so sincere & humble"

Tapla,

That is my thoughts exactly!

Sorry TipsPlants. You can clearly see where I got mixed up.

• brodyjames_gw
    11 years ago

I agree with Al....and Purple. Perhaps I was a bit too smart-aleckish. I second the question, though, if this is for you and your friends, why not put it in your native tongue?

Nancy

• brodyjames_gw
    11 years ago

Ok, Tips, here you go:

At the bottom of the pages, you have "Abous us" rather than "ABOUT us".

Is Tip a person? If not, then perhaps your site should be called Plant Tips or Tips ON Plants. Your title right now suggests that the site is run by a person named Tip who wants to show off his plants.

Though, I have no them since all plants require care. I don't like this process. However, once I had to rescue plant, which I have brought to a state of ruin. - What are you trying to say?

You said:
    One of the the most favorite plants of my boss - ÃÂroton, was in his office. I had to care about plant. After a while I have seen whitish spots on its leaves. Lots of leaves began to fall off. One of my colleagues suggested that the problem lies in the mite infestation. In such a way I got to learn about croton pests. I really found a thin web under leaves and between them. I had to learn how to deal with spider mites on croton plant.

Translation:
    "My boss had a plant in his office, a croton plant. I was in charge of caring for it. One day, I noticed whitish spots on it's leaves and many leaves had fallen off. I found a thin web under and between several leaves. One of my colleagues suggested that it might be a spider mite infestation. This was how I came to learn about plant pests, specifically, mites."

You said:
    I called to my friend and she gave me a few advice on how to kill the red spider mites. Spider mites don't progress in a humid atmosphere. That's why spray water over croton leaves and put plant in place protected from direct sunlight. Spider mites do not like cold. You may rinse plant with cold water.You can also wipe the leaves with a cotton swab soaked in alcohol or soap

Translation:
    "I called my friend and she gave me some advice on how to kill the mites. She said that mites don't like the humid atmosphere that crotons do and that I should spray the leaves with water, then put the plant in indirect light. She also said that mites don't like the cold, so I should rinse the plant with cold water. Another thing to try would be wiping down the leaves of the plant with a cotton swab dipped in alcohol or dish soap."

You said:
    I had to use all these tips in practice. Fortunately lesion zone was not great. Therefore I hadn't resort to help of pesticides. I realized that my efforts were not in vain. I managed to save Croton after a week of above mentioned procedures.

Translation:
    "I used all of these methods. Thankfully, the infestation was not over the entire plant and I didn't have to resort to pesticide use. My efforts were not in vain! I managed to save the croton after treating it for a few weeks."

I am sorry if I came across as rude in my earlier post. I certainly did not mean to be. I hope the above helps a little bit and please email me privately through the site if you have any other questions. I would be happy to help you.

Nancy

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    11 years ago

It seems to me that whatever is written in another language is auto-translated to english...When you try to translate whole sentence or paragraph, you get often nonsense...

• TheMasterGardener1
    11 years ago

I think rina may be very right.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

Al, your post didn't come across as mean at all...just funny and not really at the expense of the OP. If not for some of the other chest beating, this thread could be helpful.

• tipsplants
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks all for understanding!
    I have another website, russian, It is visited by 10,000 users a day and I with my friends decide to try create english website. This site is not just a translation of the Russian, the authors write unique and original articles, not duplicate. We just have accumulated a lot of different information to different plants and decided to go out into the world of English. We want to meet people from another continent, that they also wrote articles on our website and share knowledge. In English a lot more people in the world, and therefore created this site.

Special thanks to Nancy (brodyjames)! I will write to you privately

ps. Again Sorry for my English

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    11 years ago

TipsPlants

I didn't try to suggest that articles are being copied by you or any of your friends, just that text you/them write in russian is maybe being auto-translated as text.
    (I have used it, and the results are not too good.)
    If you are writing directly in english, that is great. The mistakes are understable.

Rina

• tipsplants
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Rina,

We don't use auto-translate
    Our mistakes because English is not native language, although we thought that he's a not so bad, but it turns out it is not so :)

We will try to improve it

11 years ago

Al,

It's against the rules to advertise, yes, but it's not against the rules to link to another site, even when that site, on the surface, is a competitor of GW. I don't think I make it a habit of doing so, but I have posts with links to other sites when exceptional things are there and have not been interwebusly spanked for it.

Tips,

Your English is not bad, in fact it's much better my mangling of the Russki izeek.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Tips, I think everyone understands you well, even if some of the grammar is not correct. Keep practicing and your English will become more smooth. It is good to hear about so many people in Russia who are interested in plants.

• cynandjon
    11 years ago

Tips I will check it out. Thanks

• yugoslava
    11 years ago

I should know, it takes long time to become fluent. I haven't seen the web page yet but I would think it would have been good to set up the web page written properly in any language. Rather than see mistakes as soon as you open the page. Enthusiasm will carry you far but poorly set up web page will not attract many.

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

Hmmm it seems to me that its a site to advertise the over-used Aloe vera juice because Ive just been there and all I see is advertising articles for the stuff!