Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
martinso

Peace lily: Wilt flower, healthy leaves/stalk. Where to prune it?

MartinSo
9 years ago

Hi, some of my peace lily flowers are wilting and the stalk is starting to become yellow, mostly in the upper part. I know I have to cut the stem and I have read I had to do it at the base of the stalk, close to the soil level. Yet somewhere else I read that if some of the stalk is still green I have to cut it wherever is still green... Most the wilting flowers not only have most of the stalk green but there are pretty green leaves with their own stem growing from the same main stalk (*see note 1).

So should I still cut them below the leaves stem, close to the soil, or should I cut them above the leaf branch, on a still green part of the stalk?

*Note 1: I don't quite get the difference between "stem" and "stalk" so bear in mind I might not using these words properly.

Comments (10)

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

Is it possible to take a picture? Our definitions of certain parts of the plant may be different and I might tell you to cut the wrong thing!

Planto

• auron22
    9 years ago

I clip just the flowers off that start to brown/wilt. I let the flower stem remain until i can pull it out with ease, when it is dark brown and all shriveled up. If the stem is an eye sore i cut it to where it doesn't poke out above the leaves.

• MartinSo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This for example (it is not possible to post more than one pic on a post?), in the center you see the lighter green almost yellow curved stem/stalk which ends in a flower enters a much greener/darker stalk which ends in a big dark green leave. I don't want to cut the leave when the flower wilts (this one it is about to, but not yet. It was the clearer pic though)...

• MartinSo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@Plantomaniac Sorry gardenweb forum seems to rotate pics randomly, if you download the pic and see it vertical you'll appreciate all much clearer. The camera turns yellow into green, but you can still differentiate it.

@Auron22 Nice plants of yours, including your peace lily :)
    It is not a question of (mostly) aesthetics for me; I read that leaving the stem that is getting brown (not the one displayed -I took those pics a week ago) would put more stress on the plant, which could use that energy to grow healthier...

The question is, if I cut it (maybe now this is previous question), should I do it on the base close to the soil, or wherever is still green, or above/below the other branch/stem that ends in a leaf? Thanks anyway though

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

Martin,
    It's okay. It comes upright on a mobile device (but sideways on my computer, go figure lol). And unfortunately, the only way to upload more than one photo at a time is to insert a photo link from a Photobucket or Flickr account.

I see what you mean. It is not necessary to cut the section where the leaf is connected to (if that makes sense). I've posted a picture of where you should cut. This will be only cutting the flower stem.

As Auron stated, it will eventually turn brown, dry up, and you can pull it out. It takes awhile though, so expect it first to yellow, then brown, and take forever to dry out before you can lightly tug and it'll come out with ease. I'm being dramatic, but it may be a month or so before the stem dries out all the way down to where it connects inside the sheathy part on the stem (I hope that makes sense too, I also don't know the proper terms). So, if you tug alittle and it resists, come back in another couple weeks.

I hope this helps. This applies to any future flowers you have as well.

Planto

• MartinSo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@Planto Phenomenal (and vertical) pic/explanation.
    So do I have to ? If I make a (45ú) cut on the stem I don't need to right? Oh I guess you mean to the rest when is wilt after cutting it ...

@Aaron you definitively have nice plants and must be nearing the "expert level" even though you say in you profile you aren't. Your post here was nice to know too, just that you say what you do but don't say why, nor even that it is the correct thing to do in my case. So, as I have read others who gave some arguments (although still not very compelling) about cutting the stem near the soil and now @Planto tells me "I should" cut it there I'll go by that.

I appreciate both of your feedback a lot. This help is to me like reinvigorating fertilizers must be for plants. Wish you vigorous awesome blooming plants ;)

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

Well, you can cut it as you like. Straight across, at an angle... I made my line too long so I opted to make it slanted. I didn't want it to appear that I was telling you to cut the stem with the leaf attached off too.

When folks say to cut back to the base of the plant, they are usually referring to a leaf that has died back (they mean to cut the stem that the leaf is attached to, back to the soil line). At least that's what I infer from that. There is no need to cut the stem from which the flower is emerging from (the stem with the leaf attached). New growth will eventually come from the stem where the flower comes out of (If I remember correctly). I hope this makes sense. I ought to learn these technical terms lol.

Planto

• brooke_paez
    8 years ago

Should I prune it back or leave it until they completely turn brown?

• HU-362516429
    5 years ago

Sounds like you can prune stem or flower, whichever. It's all good.

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County