Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tlbean2004

What kind of peace lily is this?

tlbean2004
9 years ago

I got this at lowes marked as "peace lily" but it looks a little different that the standard one. These leaves are a lighter color, are not shiny, and have white going down the middle of the leaves.

What is the scientific name for this version?

Comments (14)

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

I had one myself and was unable to find the cultivar name (I wasn't sure it was a 'Peace Lily' at first), and a good friend of mine on here by the name of Jon (asleep_in_the_garden) IDed it for me.

Spathiphyllum 'Silver Streak'

Doesn't seem to be much information on it, this is the only website Jon and I could find regarding it.

Planto

Here is a link that might be useful: Spathiphyllum 'Silver Streak'

• asleep_in_the_garden
    9 years ago

Beth..?

You "had" one?

Oh no...it's not gone,is it?

I remember how hard finding the little info that we did was...at the start I was somehow convinced that it was a Dieffenbachia,because I was aware of cultivars that looked similar with the stripe and all,but after chasing my tail with that incorrect notion for way too long I finally broke down and considered that maybe it hadn't been mislabeled after all and was in fact some sort of spath. I think I included the search criteria of "spathiphyllum white stripe" or something like that and poured down a list of images 'til I saw it.

Took us long enough,didn't it?

Was way fun coming back with the right answer after all that work though...worth the effort...every bit! :)

• tlbean2004
    Original Author
    9 years ago

How do i care for it?
    The leaves keep turning brown at the ends.
    I dont want to lose it!!!
    please help!

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

Jon,
    Uh oh, busted. :P Yeah, I ended up returning it after discovering some pests. I haven't been able to find another one.

I know, it took us quite some time to find out what it was (more of your time than mine). I still greatly appreciate you going through so much effort for me. :)

Tlbean,
    Their care shouldn't be any different than that of a normal 'Peace Lily.' Bright, indirect light (an East window for example), allow it to dry a little bit between waterings (PLs are bog plants and don't appreciate drying out as much as say a 'Pothos,' but don't keep it wet either (keep it moist). PLs are known to get brown tips, so I wouldn't fret. Do you have it in the original potting mix it came in? Where do you have it placed light wise? How often have you been watering?

Planto

• tlbean2004
    Original Author
    9 years ago

yes its in the original potting mix. I have it setting ontop of my kitchen cabinets with other plants.
    They dont get sun light. just the kitchen light. and i water once a week.

• Jason J
    9 years ago

I have one I picked up to a few months ago, mine was in flower. I was shocked to see it, never seen one before so I spent a little more then I normally do for it. Its still alive but still going through accumulation, it finally got to the point I felt safe moving it over to a terra cotta pot, and wicking it. I am hopeful it will spring back to life any moment now.

• tlbean2004
    Original Author
    9 years ago

cooljjay

How much did you pay for yours?

• Sans2014
    8 years ago

tlbean, here are the photo's you wanted. enjoy!

Fred

• MrBlubs
    8 years ago

That's such a neat looking plant!

• Jason J
    8 years ago

I just lost mine this winter....

• tlbean2004
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Its so pretty. I hope mine looks like that someday.

Jason, i read that you had one on another thread and was going to ask you how it was doing.

I guess i know now.

• Jason J
    8 years ago

Yeah we had a lot of snow for Arizona this last winter and this rental is a horrible 70s build...It just couldn't stay over 70 degree up stairs...I lost a lot....opting now to just not buy anything but hardy well know houseplants..

• Sans2014
    8 years ago

70, wow my house is typically 64!