Return to the Hoya Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
WANTED: Hoya help

Posted by maryataylor_2008 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 19, 08 at 10:35

I would like to start getting hoyas. Right now now I just have Hoya stripes, it is the one with really small leaves. and a cutting from string of hearts hoya. And will anyone let me know if The lipstick plant is a hoya? I have a large one of them. I have seen plants at the store that look like hoyas, but they do not say hoya on them. Do they usually say hoya on the labels? Please help me. I am very new to the hoya plant and really want to learn more about them. Thanks in advance. Mary

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: WANTED: Hoya help

Hello Mary,
First of all you need to post this in the discussion section of the Hoya forum here in Garden Web. You will get more feedback on your questions. This is the exchance section for the Hoya forum, it's for trading cuttings.

Your Hoya Stripes, can you post a picture of it? (on the discussion forum). The box stores (Lowes, Home Depo, Target and Walmart etc) carry an Exotic Angel Hoya named hoya stripes which is actually Hoya Curtisii, if that is indeed what hoya you have. There are about 300 species of hoyas so when you say 'small leaves' it could be alot of them. That's when it's good to post a picture, I personally think it's best to post a picture of the whole plant (to see growth pattern) and then a close up picture of a leaf. Even if you post a picture sometimes you may not still have a definate ID based on the leaves on your hoya, you may have to wait until it blooms.

As for the string of hearts hoya, haven't heard of it. I have herd of string of pearls which is not a hoya. There is a hoya called Kerrii or Sweatheart hoya with actual heart shaped leaves. Here's a picture of a couple of my Kerri's.
Variegated heart leaf kerrii
Variegated heart leaf kerrii

Hoya Kerrii
H. Kerrii

Hoya Kerrii 'reverse'
H. Kerrii

This is not a Kerrii but it does have heart shaped leaves. It's called Hoya Deykeae
H. Deykeae

Lipstick plant is not a hoya.

I seriously doubt if all hoyas are labeled in the box stores with the name Hoya on it. Some don't even have labels at all. If they do have a label, some of the Exotic Angel hoyas are not names correctly anyway. Confusing I know but just need to get to know your hoyas so if you see one in the box stores you can get it and know it is in fact a hoya regardless of the tag/name.

A website I visit alot in reference to hoyas is http://www.myhoyas.com/index ENG.htm

Hope this helps.

shanna

o
RE: WANTED: Hoya help

Your string of hearts might be this
Ceropegia woodii String of Hearts
http://www.plantoftheweek.org/week098.shtml
Or there's a Million Hearts Dischidia ruscifolia
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/59602/
Neither are Hoya's

Tami

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Hoya Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here