Return to the Hoya Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rooting aquarium

Posted by denise 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 27, 10 at 18:52

I'm attaching a photo of my aquarium setup as requested. I put together a "how to" sheet for people in my cactus club who grow Hoyas, too, and this is it, verbatim...

A cheap 10-gallon aquarium at Walmart: about $13

An aquarium hood: about $21

Bulb(s) one florescent, one incandescent is ideal, but just florescent will do, too: $5 +

A submersible heater: about $14

For a "deck" for my plants to sit on, I bought a 4x8 "eggcrate" diffuser they use on lighting fixtures for dropped ceilings. Its a little pricey it was $18, and of course I had to cut it down and only used less than of it. It works perfectly, though, because its plastic and wont rust or deteriorate in the water Heres how to cut it My husband showed me this its apparently the way they do it in construction, so its messy! Might want to do it in your garage! Measure and mark what row it needs to be cut at. Have someone help you hold it vertically. Take a screwdriver and push it through the 2nd from the top hole in the eggcrate. Take a hammer and hit the screwdriver, causing it to "pop" the plastic, being careful to go straight down that row. Each "hit" with the hammer will take out of few of the plastic pieces. Do the same in the other direction and voila! you have a perfect-sized grate for your aquarium!

Line your aquarium with some polystyrene foam for insulation if you plan to keep it somewhere cool, like in your basement or in a cool greenhouse in the winter. If warmth isnt an issue, this isnt necessary.

Place something in the four corners to hold your deck up about 3-4" off the bottom of the aquarium. I used little clay pots turned upside down. Place your submersible heater on the bottom of the aquarium. Fill the aquarium with water to about 3" (covering the heater). Place the grate over the heater, on your four "legs". Now youre ready to plug in your heater, your light cover and put your cuttings in pots or bags of moss on top of the grate.

Denise

Image link: Rooting aquarium (42 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hoya Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here