Return to the Hoya Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hoya I.D.'s please

Posted by water_gardener (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 25, 06 at 8:53

Some of these I bought from Ebay, some were cutting's given to me.
Hope the pictures show.
Is this really Exotica?
The pictures labled Hoya 1 and 2 may be the same plant, the one listed as Hoya 2 was given to me and when bloom's it's supposed to smell like chocolate. Both 1 and 2 have some light colored spots.
Hoya 3 is a lighter green
and the last 2 labeled Krimson Queen, the one with most leaves were given to me and the sickly looking one with only 2 leaves is what is left of a plant I got from Ebay. It got sick when I was sick and so I'm trying to save what I can of it.
If pictures don't show up go to the link to Hoya at my Webshots.
Bobbie

Here is a link that might be useful: Hoya

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hoya I.D.'s please

Sorry the pic's didn't show up. I could have sworn I followed directions.
Bobbie

o

Hi WG,

The pix are visible to me.

I'm unfamiliar w/ H. Exotica, never heard of it before, so can't say, but it's a handsome leaf, if I saw some around, I'd buy it myself.

The Hoyas 1, 2 & 3 all look to be Carnosa types (yes, some say the blooms smell like Chocolate, mine have never bloomed for me, so can't say for sure).

The pot for Hoya 3 is too big, all Hoyas prefer to be potbound & in smallest possible pots (also helps avoid root rot). Also its soil looks very heavy & dense, like maybe it's from the backyard. I'd use some houseplant type soil & add abt 1/3 by volume of perlite (or pumice if you can get it).

They'll want bright, indirect light (in nature they climb trees, up into the canopy).

That very last pix, is a goner, might as well toss that, it will NOT recover (sorry).

o

Hi Bobbie- aren't you the one who got your first hoya cuttings from a cross stitching friend? I think I remember you, if that IS you!

Carnosas are good starter hoyas, the above information is what you need to know basically. Definately get some smaller pots, and some lighter soil- these are plants that live in trees, their roots aren't underground in heavy soil. Get some African Violet potting soil, and maybe some orchid bark and perlite to mix in - half soil, and 1/4 bark and 1/4 perlite or something like that - you don't have to be exact.

Give your cuttings some time and you will have beautiful plants!

o

Thanks!!!!
Yep, I'm the one that got cutting's from a cross stitching friend.
I'll pick up some of the African Violet soil. I am not happy at all with the soil I did use. It looked good when it came out of the bag then withen a few week's looked like it does now.
I'll also get sopme smaller pot's, did have some but my oldest daughter snatched them up for her baby cactus's that she started from seed.
Bobbie

o

Don't forget to loosen up that african violet soil- add generous amounts of perlite and a few handfuls of orchid bark - orchid bark is about 6 bucks for a nice size bag at Home Depot, I have also seen it at Walmart recently. If you can't find it, add extra perlite.

Sometimes I have trouble finding small (under 4") plastic pots, but you can always find the small clay pots...you may have to water more often, but that's not so bad when you are only dealing with a few plants.

Good Luck - maybe in the spring I will trade you some of the harder-to-find hoya cuttings for some of your pond plants - I need something that doesn't mind some shade.

o

I'd be happy to trade you some pond plant's. I have about 20 different kind's of water lily's and several differnt kind's of bog/Marginal plants. If you like Elephant Ear's I have some of the pond variety called Taro's. The Imperial Taro is green and black, the more shade it get's the blacker the leaves. Look's like black Velvet with a green background.
I have 3 pond's, 1 at about 5,000 gallons and 2 small 90 gallon pre-formed ponds. In one of the little ponds I have a mini yellow blooming water lily that I can get a start off of anytime as it put's out shoot's like a Spider Plant.
Bobbie

o

Our pond is square about 8 ft by 4 ft, 2 or 3 ft deep, surrounded on one side by a slate "deck" and then shrubbery and ornamental grasses on the other sides. The trees around it have grown so that it is pretty shaded, more so as the sun moves across the sky in the afternoon, that is why I would need something that can live with only a little sun. Most of the pond plants I see for sale around here need full sun.

I will have alot of my plants ready to take cuttings from in the spring, it would be great to trade with you for whatever you think would be happy in my pond. Lets remember to remind each other after the winter!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hoya Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here