Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cpawl

Darwinii hoya

cpawl
13 years ago

Hi Everyone

I would like to show off my darwinii hoya.I have wanted this hoya for a long time.I have tried to root this one a few times before I got this one to root.It came to me with only 2 leaves,the smallest cutting I have gotten.It rooted for me and slowly grew.Its still small but this winter I noticed it started to get her secondary type leaves which is one of the of the reasons for getting this hoya. I would like to share a few photos.

One more but its a bit fuzzy.

Thanks for looking.

Cindy

Comments (13)

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

Cindy that's fantastic and your plant looks so healthy! Those little ant condo leaves are just plain cool.

I have tried this one twice but the cuttings either arrived dead or die very quickly after I pot them up. What did you root your cutting in? I have tried my regular mix and sphagnum moss last time. Now I want to try again, third time's a charm right?

Mike

• patrick51
    13 years ago

Cindy....WOW!! That's a great looking plant...and it's growing so well for you...thanks for sharing. Great growing on your part!! Fondly, Patrick

• cpawl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Mike, looks like 3rd time is the charm.It took me 3 times to root this one and mitrata.I rooted them in hydro chips and put them inside my rooting chamber.Im sure the clay balls would also work.I just like the smaller bits.
    Im using clay cat litter to root a piece of pachyclada that fell off when I was fiddling with it.I read some where that you could use cat litter so I wanted to try,It works. Im also trying a product called zeolight from the dollar store and this works.I find this method dose not rot the cutting.

Cindy

• cpawl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Patrick I must have been typing while you were posting.

Cindy

• kellyknits
    13 years ago

Wow! That's fantastic, Cindy! I've not done well with darwinii or mitrata! Love the funky leaves!

Can you give us more info on the zeolight (could it be zeolite?)? Interesting to hear about the clay kitty litter! May have to try that out!

Thanks for sharing!

Kelly

• cpawl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Kelley, your right its zeolite.If you should try the litter make sure its fired clay and its not the clumping kind of stuff.In Canada it was very hard to find but from what I have read you guys in the states will be able to find it more easier.

Cindy

• kellyknits
    13 years ago

Cindy,

Do you have the name of the distributor/manufacturer of zeolite? What section of the dollar store was it in?

Thanks for the advice on the litter!

Kelly

• cpawl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Kelly I should of been more clear when I said dollar store.I got the zeolite from a store called Daiso its a Japanese store.Its more like a 2.00 and up type of place.They have very unique plant nick-nacks.Im very lucky to live near one.
    Last year when visiting japan I almost lived in this store LOL.

Cindy

• greedygh0st
    13 years ago

Wow, that is just such a beautiful plant! I don't know if I'll ever have the courage to try darwinii myself, but it is very encouraging to see an example of a happy specimen in the hands of someone I know.

Joni sold me her mitrata in the fall and I am so happy she did because it has been doing so well this winter!! It's been my favorite plant to check in on. I put it in an aquarium with the other plants I was worried about getting too cold and it is so happy it looks like it wants to kiss me every time I mist. You know how they get that look sometimes. Hey there, little buddy, not so fast, I'm taken.

• mitzicos
    12 years ago

Hi eveyone,

Is hoya warwinii from cold or hot places? Mine was doing well but after this infernal summer, it is dying! I think this hoya doesn't like 35/40 Celsius, neither do I!!!!!!!!

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

I believe Hoya darwinii is from the Philippines although I am not sure on the elevation. If I had to guess I would say that this Hoya would be just fine in hot temperatures but there is one thing that you always have to balance when it's hot (best at all times) and that's air movement. If your plants are inside you really should have a fan running although it does not need to blow right on the plants. I have fans in every room where I grow plants, be it a ceiling fan or another type. If you have many open windows in your apartment and there is a breeze that should help as well.
    Hoya darwinii does seem to be a bit difficult to grow and I have yet to be able to root a cutting that I have imported. I am also going to make the assumption that this Hoya does not like stale potting conditions and would do best in a very porous potting mix that drains well. Think moist potting mix but open and airy. I would try sphagnum moss, large perlite, and bark but I know that you have different types of potting supplies available in Brazil.

Mike

• PerrenialGirl
    12 years ago

Cindy that is so cool! Does this plant grow like that only on the new leaves?

• mitzicos
    12 years ago

Thank you Mike, I think mine is gone!!!!! The stem still green but there is no leaf left!

Mitzi

Sponsored