Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mdahms1979

Plants on the Brain

mdahms1979
13 years ago

I finally broke down and ordered a planter from Etsy seller Plants on the Brain. The planter is about the equivalent of a 5" pot. I am trying to decide if I want to put a pendant growing Hoya or maybe one of the more airy thin stemmed Rhipsalis species I grow in this new pot. Because of the larger capacity of the pot I can't put any of my smallest Hoyas in it for fear of causing root rot. So far I think my Hoya parvifolia or aff picta might be the best choices.

Does anyone have a suggestion? My friends think I am nuts just for buying this pot but I find them to be quite cute albeit a tad quirky and maybe a little bit strange. LOL

Mike

Comments (23)

• cpawl
    13 years ago

Mike I love your new head pot.I think aff picta would look great in this pot.
    I hope its ok to show off my cute pot.I have lacunosa planted in the pot.

This is a self watering pot.

Cindy

• mdahms1979
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Cindy where on earth did you get your pot? That is such an interesting design for a self watering pot. It would be neat to grow a little Gesneriad in one of those pots.

Mike

• cpawl
    13 years ago

Mike, I got this one and another a bit smaller from jj plant market in Bangkok.I now wish I had gotten more,I like the self watering aspect of this cute little pot. The smaller one I'm hopping to get a few cuttings of linearis to plant in it.

Cindy

• kellyknits
    13 years ago

Oh, good gosh! What fun planters!

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    13 years ago

Mike, I don't usually go for the anthropomorphic pots, but yours is oddly intriguing....
    the eyes and the chin/jawline have such a living quality. Great buy, in my opinion.

I'd set it near the candidate species to see which colors/textures/patterns
    would most compliment the pot.

Josh

• mdahms1979
    Original Author
    13 years ago

In case anyone is interested I linked to the sellers Etsy page. You can commission a piece as well and there have been several people who get a likeness of their pet made.

Cindy Hoya linearis would look fantastic growing in one of these pots. I have my plant in a 2.5" pot and I am afraid to move it into anything else even though it hangs down almost three feet. Maybe one day I will get brave enough to pot it up into something larger.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Plants on the Brain by Clayflower22

• Denise
    13 years ago

Mike,

I like Rhips in these pots. I have one that would look particularly grand in a head pot. It's been tenatively ID'd as R. burchellii or campos portoana...
    {{gwi:685847}}

I have a head pot, too (though not as interesting as yours!) and would like to try it in mine, but because it's an EA plant with EA soil, I'm hesitant to try it...

Denise in Omaha

• mdahms1979
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Dense I have had a Rhipsalis like that in the past and it was a fussy plant. The species I grow now are quite tough and cuttings root very easily. I will have to give some serious though to the Rhipsalis vs Hoya issue, either that or I need another head pot.
    I linked to the Rhipsalis I have been considering of using. The other species I have are very robust and have far to wild a growth habit to use.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Rhipsalis burchelli

• kellyknits
    13 years ago

Walked into a pet store yesterday to get an algae eater and saw these! HADDDDD TO GET THEM!

• mdahms1979
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Those would make nice breeding caves for some bristle nose Plecos. My nephew would dig those in his fish tank but they look like the kinda thing that you would not see in a large pet store chain. Makes me want to dabble in pottery.

Mike

• mitzicos
    13 years ago

Rips are very commom plants here in Brazil and I have a lot of them at home. It is very easy to propagate and I could send some leaves if it is ok in your countries, (sending plants by mail).

• kellyknits
    13 years ago

Mike,
    Amazingly these came from Petco!
    I was thinking the same thing - I want to take up pottery!
    Kelly

• mdahms1979
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Petco! LOL
    At least I will not have to try to make them myself. I use little coconut huts for my fish to hide in but those heads have neat folk art look to them that I like.

Mike

• greedygh0st
    13 years ago

Mike, I don't think you're at all weird for getting your new pot (and congratulations, btw!). I've had this vendor in my bookmarks since you mentioned her last time. These things look like just the sort of thing you'd find in the serial killer's house, which must be why I just can't decide which one I want most. I think parvifolia would be lovely. I think I have to be looking at my plants to make other suggestions.

I kind of want to get 'new born baby' and put serpens in it.

Cindy, yours is also very cute, in a less serial killer way.

And Kelly, yours is very interesting in a different horror movie kind of way.

^_^

I love them all!

• mdahms1979
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Now I know why my friends all absolutely hated the pot, serial killer huh? I was thinking of having a cute one made that looks like my Chihuahua but I don't want people to stop visiting me now do I.

Kelly's do look like severed heads. LoL

Mike

• greedygh0st
    13 years ago

Well to be fair, have you ever noticed the way set designers always give the most awesome stuff to the most psychotic characters? I keep rewatching The Cell just to get decorating tips.

• mdahms1979
    Original Author
    13 years ago

You mean like Chriastian Bale in American Psyco? LOL

Mike

• greedygh0st
    13 years ago

Mmm or think about the layers of all the deranged serial killer families. How cool are they?

So, are you going to commission a purist severed chihuahua head or a chihuahua head on the body of a human a la Baby Bird Vase? Because I think that will directly relate to the number of visitors you'll be getting afterward. :X

I have a feeling it won't be perfect for long, but right now my mitrata would be the ultimate plant for one of these pots. It looks just like a sort of pixie cut.

• mdahms1979
    Original Author
    13 years ago

LOL No just thinking about a replica of my Chihuahua in a sitting pose although I think that it would look quite odd with a plant. Maybe time to reconsider?

Mike

• greedygh0st
    13 years ago

It won't look odd! Check it out, I have a bulldog (I collect animal planters) ^_^

I think you should go for it!

• quinnfyre
    13 years ago

He's cute! BTW, who is living in the bulldog planter? I can't really tell, the leaves are mainly facing down...

• geosdee
    13 years ago

Well, why not a retusa, it would look like hair going every which way. I have actually been looking for a small terra cotta medusa head for my retusa.

Dee

• greedygh0st
    13 years ago

Thanks! It's a Dischidia ovata.