Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mdahms1979

More Hoya blooms

mdahms1979
12 years ago

I have a few more Hoyas that are blooming. One large leafed species is in bloom with at least eight or nine peduncles on a three or four foot section of bare vine. The flowers are small and only a few are open at a time so it's just not very impressive. I should try and get some photos of all the peduncles but as for flowers I think I will only take a few single flower macro shots.

This little Hoya species was initially collected on the island of Sulawesi, it came to me from Apodagis in Thailand a few years ago. I have to admit that I fell in love with this Hoya the moment I first saw a photo. The leaves are quite fleshy with raised veins and the plant seems to do very well growing rather dry. This is the first blooming for my plant so I expect more flower buds in the future, a few buds may have dropped due to the potting mix staying dry too long. The flower peduncle is slender and about five inches long, I have yet to notice a scent from the blooms but have not checked in the dark.

And because it might be a little while before I add more Hoya flower photos to this thread I will a splash of colour. This is Sinningia speciosa from Cardosa Moriera in the state of Rio de Janeiro in Brazil. What a beautiful plant!

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Hoya sp 25 APODAGIS

Comments (37)

• maggnome
    12 years ago

Both of those plants are gorgeous. Great pics!

-Jacob

• cpawl
    12 years ago

Mike, thanks for sharing your photos with us.I have to say that I really want to get that hoya.Its so different than some of the more common ones and the color is so cute with the combo of yellow and pink.
    My hoyas are not really doing to much at the moment but this is because I am changing them over to S/H. Buottii is growing like a weed since the change.

Cindy

• mdahms1979
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Jacob, and welcome to the forum by the way.

Cindy my plants are all doing pretty good in the bloom department. Some plants that should be blooming are just sitting there but many of the bloomers are doing so for the first time so I have no comaplaints. Hoya boutii has some more buds developing and Hoya lobbii is just about to drop it's latest round of blooms.
    Come spring we should do a swap as I can easily take a cutting of this Hoya.

Mike

• golden_ca_2000
    12 years ago

Very Pretty Mike! Did you happen to get a chance to see if you could smell any kind of fragrance from the flower.... I always love the fragrant ones! As always great photo!

• cpawl
    12 years ago

Mike I would love to do swap come spring.Keep me in mind when your weather warms up.

Cindy

• mdahms1979
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Golden. :)
    I did not notice a scent and tonight the blooms are ready to drop. I had expected the blooms to smell sweet because that is what I have read for Hoya myrmecopa which has to be a close relative. My Hoya myrmecopa has never bloomed but the leaves of these two could not be more different, still the blooms are quite similar. It may be that with so few flowers the scent was not noticeable.

Will do Cindy.

Mike

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

Beautiful little blooms, Mike! Congratulations. I have to say I just love this plant too. Did you get a shot of the peduncle? It sounds lovely.

Where do you grow your Sinningia? I would be ashamed to show you mine, which would really need some work before they were show ready (lol). Still, they are growing and happy and that's something.

• grmadarr
    12 years ago

Beautiful pictures mike. So far I don't have anything to swap but would love to have a cutting some how.Don't know the rules for trading and buying!! Darr

• mdahms1979
    Original Author
    12 years ago

GG thank you and it's great to see you back!
    I had a really hard time photographing this little Hoya because it's about six feet long and in a tiny little three inch hanging pot. Getting that thing into the photo cube without having it fall out of the pot or knocking the flowers off was enough to make curse. Next time it blooms I will take a photo that shows the peduncle.
    My Sinningias are all grown in from of a sunny South facing window. That beauty above was half grown when I got it from a local woman who just happens to have great taste in plants. I have another that is from the same seed packet and is much shorter and with darker leaf/stem colour. I also have some not so pretty Gesneriads but I think I am getting the hang of them. I just learned that the 2013 Gesneriad Society Convention is being held in Toronto so I am beyond thrilled about that.

Darr it depends on where you are, trading over the boarder is pretty risky but it can be done. Where are you located?

Mike

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

I have to say that I was poking around in an aquarium the other night and the Gesneriads in there looked so beautiful - soft and pastel, like a landscape of marzipan and plush animals.

Recognize this one? A perfect example of someone who needs some structure.

Now, with your regal Sinningia photograph, I think I really have to figure out a way to give these plants some prime real estate so they can grow smooth and uncrooked without being lashed to a stake.

It's funny, with Hoyas, you ignore the way they are growing for half a year and it's all okay, but you ignore the way a Gesneriad is growing for a month and it is so embarrassing! Well, at least you can always start them over.

• mdahms1979
    Original Author
    12 years ago

GG I have a new secret weapon to hold Gesneriads proud and tall while being all but invisible. I found green floral wire used to make stems in flower arrangements. The wire is very think but stiff and it works like a charm unless the plant is really tall. My Kohlerias would probably be too large but the Sinningia was still ok even though it's about a foot tall.

That little one you have there looks amazing if grown pretty bright, it stands up pretty well. When it gets ugly I just hack it off, take some cuttings, and let the rhizomes sprout new growth.

I hope to have some time to photograph some more Hoyas this weekend, most are ones I have posted before so not too exciting.

Mike

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

That's a great tip, Mike. I'll have to give it a whirl. By the time they get tall, a lot of Kohlerias are robust enough to stand tall on their own, it's just when they're smaller that it seems to go wrong. At least in my apartment... @_@

My Gesneriads just need more light. The Hoyas keep expanding and I keep moving the Gesneriads around and I just haven't figured out the right solution yet.

Sometimes photographing a familiar Hoya results in more interesting photos, just because the pressure is off. My weekend goal is to update my database, I think.

• grmadarr
    12 years ago

Mike I live mainly in Elba Al. but also have hoyas in Gulf Shores AL. Both places are in Zone 8. I probably won't do any trading across the border but am wondering about the buying and selling among the forum members. Have a good one!! Darr

• mdahms1979
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ok I finally got around to photographing the peduncles on my Hoya sp Sulawesi GPS 8867. I counted 26 peduncles on a 24" section of bare vine. There are peduncles growing off of peduncles and sprouting in every direction. The flowers are the most boring Hoya flowers I have ever seen and only a few mature at a time, still weird is wonderful and the big beautiful leaves are more than enough for me.

Sorry for the terrible photo but I didn't feel like setting up the tripod.

Mike

• cpawl
    12 years ago

WOW!Mike What are you feeding that hoya?LOL.To bad they don't all open at the same time.That would be a sight to see.

Cindy

• mdahms1979
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Cindy I am not quite sure if it's the fertilizer or what. I have been using MSU and some generic bloom booster.

Here is an old photo of one of this Hoyas leaves, they newer leaves are quite large compared to that one.

Mike

• cpawl
    12 years ago

I like the leaves too.I like big interesting leaves so when you don't get to see flowers it's ok.

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

LOL That is so cool and hilarious, Mike. Thanks for the picture. If I had a plant behaving like that I would laugh every time I saw it. It hasn't quite figured out the lesson of less is more yet, has it? ;)

• mdahms1979
    Original Author
    12 years ago

This is Hoya sp aff. lacunosa (Giant) IML 1813 and it started to open it's blooms last night. The flowers are about 1 cm across which means the umbel is a little more than 1.5" across. The flowers are very strongly scented and they easily fill a room with their scent.

The umbel of flowers is absolutely giant in comparison to the standard Hoya lacunosa, a really great plant and it flowered in under a year from a cutting.

The leaves are about 2" long and they lack the indentations that give Hoya lacunosa it's name.

Mike

• maggnome
    12 years ago

Wow, those photos are incredible. Thanks for sharing!

-Jacob

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

I can't believe I forgot to respond to these pictures, Mike. They're fascinating. How strange that the leaves are smooth. This looks like a really great addition to any collection. :3

• mdahms1979
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Jacob.

GG it's true that this plant is much like Hoya lacunosa so perhaps not as exciting as something more rare. I do still think this Hoya is very much worth growing and if I were to have only one Hoya lacunosa type I would choose this one simply because the flowers are a good size. I was hoping to take a flower comparison photo of this one and a Hoya lacunosa but my lacunosas were not in bloom. I did find this one more fragrant than my Hoya lacunosa although it was a very similar scent.

Mike

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

Yep, I sure did want a side by side shot, but I figured someone as meticulous as you would have supplied it already, had it been possible. >:)

• mdahms1979
    Original Author
    12 years ago

OK I know this is a terrible photo (iphone in the middle of the night lol) but I was afraid that the blooms were already beginning to drop. This Hoya has a nice spicy scent and it's hard not to notice it when there are so many blooms. The blooms seem to be quite short lived but if I get another chance for a proper photo I will take one.

Hoya sp Sulawesi GPS 8867 in full bloom. This is by far the most Hoya blooms I have gotten at once from any Hoya plant I own. If the flowers were larger and more appealing I would be totally blown away, still it's pretty impressive.

Mike

• klyde
    12 years ago

How is that aff. lacunosa as a grower Mike? Is it as generous a bloomer as your bog standard lacunosa?

I think if I ever win the lotto, I may just collect all the lacunosa's, affin's and such. What is that group called? Was it Ottostemma? Forgive me if I am so off with the name, had to get up at 4:30 am this am. Where am I? LOL

• cpawl
    12 years ago

Well Mike I am impressive.Nice growing.

Cindy

• mdahms1979
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Kelly I like the aff. lacunosa Giant the most out of my Hoya lacunosa plants. My plant flowered in under a year from a cutting and even one umbel of blooms is impressive with this plant. I think the only other form of Hoya lacunosa that I want to add to my collection is the tiny little Hoya lacunosa collected in Langkawi Malaysia. Oh and yes Hoya lacunosa is the type species for the section Otostemma.

Cindy I am convinced that this Hoya (sp Sulawesi GPS 8867) is flowering like this in response to a much dryer winter rest. When the peduncles started to form I began to water a little more but still being cautious. Once the plant started to produce flowers I realized that it wanted even more water so I started to water heavily once a week and then even more often. This plant is grown in a 6" clay pot and the potting mix dries out quite quickly.

Mike

• Laura_Carnosa
    12 years ago

Criminy, Mike! That's outrageous!

• mdahms1979
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Laura. Most of the blooms dropped off yesterday so now I am interested in seeing if there will be a replay. My other Hoyas that have been blooming are all forming buds again or already blooming. Both colour forms of Hoya heuschkeliana, Hoya lobbii, Hoya walliniana, that little one from Thailand up at the top of this thread, and dare I say I think I saw a peduncle forming on my Hoya imperalis. Hoya sp Maluku IPPS 3749 has been trying to bloom but never quite makes it so I am going to have to start paying more attention to watering.

It's been a great winter for Hoyas around here.

Mike

• klyde
    12 years ago

Hey Mike:

Did you get the giant Lacunosa on a Liddle order or from somewhere else? :)

Kelly in Victoria

• mdahms1979
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Kelly I got it from a friend here in Ontario but she got it from the Liddles. I can see if she would like to sell a cutting, she has a large collection of Hoyas.

I have been a bit lazy with the camera and have not been keeping up with the re-bloomers. I did take the time to photograph one Hoya tonight, Hoya praetorii.

Hoya praetorii's flowers after I thoughtlessly had already cut flower #10 off to photograph alone. Not the best photo as the focus is not quite right but remember I said I have been lazy lately. lol

Mike

• klyde
    12 years ago

I'll send you an email :)

• PerrenialGirl
    12 years ago

Mike you have an amazing collection of hoyas and blooms!! I have a few but can't seem to get them to bloom. I've been taking some tips from Laura and have bought Sunblaster ligths and have been feeding them with orchid food. Also have moved all my hoyas into turface this tip from Cindi.

Please keep your fingers crossed that this will work for me.

• cpawl
    12 years ago

Mike again beautiful flowers,my praetorii blooms should open any day.Its will be the first time it has bloomed.

Donna good luck with the turface.I can say that my hoyas love it.

• PerrenialGirl
    12 years ago

Thanks, Cindi! I hope mine do to.

• mdahms1979
    Original Author
    12 years ago

PerennialGirl those Sun Blasters are great and they have helped me bloom many of my orchids that were being stubborn. Thanks for the kind words.

Cindy there are more buds developing as well, such a great Hoya, this and lasiantha. Congrats on getting yours to bloom. :)

Mike

• maggnome
    12 years ago

Those orange flowers are gorgeous! Thanks for sharing them with us.

-Jacob

Sponsored