Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
val1_gw

Are these both Rubra?

val1
11 years ago

I purchased the first Hoya yesterday at Lowes. It was labeled Hoya "Rubra". Today at Walmart I found the second one. It was not labeled but looks just like the Rubra on the Exotic Angel website. The second Hoya I purchased for just $3.67 because it was labeled incorrect and I asked a CM about it. I also got a large Thanksgiving Cactus for $2.00. I was so excited!

Comments (11)

• tigerdawn
    11 years ago

The first is what Exotic Angel calls Rubra, but is actually Krimson Queen. The second, with the cream on the inside instead of the outside, is Krimson Princess. Both are varieties of Hoya carnosa and their care is pretty much the same.

Most people have trouble with Krimson Princess reverting to all green. If you leave the all-green parts, the plant can eventually become all green. I usually just cut those stems off and grow them separatly as "Hoya carnosa 'Krimson Princess' reverted".

• mdahms1979
    11 years ago

Hoya carnosa rubra has reddish stems. I linked to an older discussion as well.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Hoya carnosa rubra

• val1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the information. So the first one is Krimson Queen / Hoya carnosa Tricolor and the second one is Krimson Princess / Hoya carnosa Rubra.

Do I just cut the vines with all-green leaves at the base or do I have to get the root out? What about vines with only one all-green leaf and the rest variegated? Do I just pinch off the leaf? With hosta I try to get the root too.

• tigerdawn
    11 years ago

Cut the vine below the first all green leaf. It may be prudent to wait until there are 3 or 4 green leaves before you cut. Sometimes a new leaf will be green, but the ones that come after will be variegated again.

Green leaves aren't like bad apples; they don't "infect" the rest of the plant. It's just that if one shoot decides to revert, it will outperform the variegated shoots and will eventually become the bulk of the pot. I've noticed that a reverted plant can grow much faster than a carnosa that was originally all green. Not sure why that is, and it might just be my perception.

• val1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Tigerdawn, I have one vine that is totally all-green leaves, so I will cut that one at the base and root it (and label it like you did). I just didn't know whether I needed to get down to roots to get rid of the green shoot permanently (I assume you just keep trimming as it regrows). There are a couple that have only one all-green leaf towards the base but then the rest are nicely variegated. I will leave those alone. Thanks again.

• cpawl
    11 years ago

Plus the all green reverted vine once rooted will also bloom faster.

Cindy

• cpawl
    11 years ago

Plus the all green reverted vine once rooted will also bloom faster.

Cindy

• greedygh0st
    11 years ago

You don't need to get the root, Val. I don't think another green vine is guaranteed to re-grow from that node, although I can't say I've ever really paid attention. An individual plant might have a single root system, with no clean division to be made, as you can with a Hosta.

• val1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Cpawl, that is exciting!

Greedyghost, I cut it right above the soil level because every leaf was all-green. I dipped it in rooting hormone and potted it up. It was actually long enough to split it into two pieces.

• greedygh0st
    11 years ago

Sounds good! Good luck with your... now 3 different carnosas. ;)

Sponsored