Return to the Hoya Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hoya looks dead but isn't what next?

Posted by AnkaDanka Vic (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 9, 13 at 3:50

Hi
I just picked up a poor hoya whose owner sadly passed away. The plant has been pruned right back and appears dead. However when I tried to bend the 'twigs' they didn't snap, so I'm hoping it's still got some life.

I've brought it home and fed/watered it and will repot at the week end but is there anything else I should do that could help it survive?

I've read that 2/3rd good potting mix and 1/3rd orchid mix is good for the plant?

Would very much appreciate your help as I know nothing about hoyas.

Many thanks
AnkaDanka

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hoya looks dead but isn't what next?

If you give it good light and extra humidity it has the best chances. Hoyas can come back to live from leafless "sticks" but it isn't a sure thing. I always put mine in an aquarium when they look like that and often, right around spring, they'll produce a new leaf. If it's a larger plant, I'd try a pebble tray, or maybe put a bag around it.

I wish you the best of luck!

o
RE: Hoya looks dead but isn't what next?

Are there any leaves left on the plant? If not then just be sure to keep the potting mix only slightly moist or it will rot the roots.

A potting mix as you described will do just fine. If the orchid mix has perlite and charcoal or other additives I would be suggest mixing it 50/50 with potting soil. You can even do 2/3 orchid mix and 1/3 potting soil but you will have to water more often. Also when you repot use a small pot just a little bigger than the root mass.

Mike

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hoya Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here