Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meyermike_1micha

Does anyone have Hoya that blooms during winter?

meyermike_1micha
13 years ago

I was wondering if anyone has Hoya that flowers during the darkest days of winter without added light? Just light from your windows?

If so, what conditions do you provide for your plants and what area do you live in?

I have a couple of plants that just seem to hold on to peduncles till the spring when the sun is much brighter and days warmer.

Thank you much

Mike

Comments (15)

• kellyknits
    13 years ago

I'm in WV. I have DS-70, bella and lacunosa (at least lacunosa was blooming a couple of weeks ago...not sure about now...). DS-70 and bella are in a Southern facing window - there is an additional light in the window, but those two are not under the light. Lacunosa is on a cool porch with an east facing window. Also multiflora is in a northern facing window. It just dropped the last blooms and is budding up again.
    Congrats on peduncles! That's always a good sign!
    Kelly

• peanut01
    13 years ago

Mike:

Some of my Lacunosa in my computer room are blooming for me at this time. Southern exposure window with no additional light. They are in the hottest and dryest part of my house though since I run several machines at once in there most the time. My DS-70 just stopped blooming a couple weeks ago with Northern exposure. If I move the DS-70 to a Southern exposure window I am sure she would start blooming again in no time. In my experience Lacunosa and DS-70 can bloom about 10 months a year(maybe more). I also hear others mention that so I know it is not uncommon. They only stop blooming when I first take them outside in the Spring. The cooler nights probably trigger a rest period. I take them outside in early spring so they can prepare for the intensity of the sun in the coming days. Maybe next year I will try Wayetti in my computer room since I hear this one likes to go a little dry between waterings. Then I can find out if I can keep this one full of blooms all year.

-David

BTW - I find Multiflora odd... Penducles on all leave nodes. Still growing daily. They always form very small beginning blooms that never completely form. The penducles never drop though.

• pirate_girl
    13 years ago

Hi Peanut,

David is it? Hi I'm Karen (aka PG).

I wanted to say I too have had Multiflora have peduncles at every node, once even 7 consecutive nodes (a cutting from a friend), very cool to see.

I suggest you increase the watering, that may help their blooms develop more fully. Also, sometimes a wick out the bottom of Multiflora's pot helps ensure complete drainage, esp. since they seem to like things on the more moist side.

The peduncles on Multiflora tend to drop off by themselves after their second blooming. I've had that happen often & believe others have said the same.

Multiflora seems to have a very different mindset from most other Hoyas FWIW.

• Denise
    13 years ago

I agree that lacunosa is a constant bloomer. It takes a short break a couple times a year, but it's pretty consistent. Multiflora is budding up nicely right now. Lobbii has another bloom that just opened. Plain green rubra has been blooming off and on all winter. I don't supply any extra light for mine - I just try to keep most of them close to the windows, mostly east and west exposures. It's nice to have blooms when we're stuck inside for the winter!

Denise in Omaha

• klyde
    13 years ago

My bella has been blooming almost non-stop for about 2 years now. She's such a good girl. Right now has maybe 10 umbels. So cheery. I just love that plant. I think it has a soul that one.

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you everyone for sharing your flowering plants!

I think I will go with a Lacunosa since it sounds like it loves to bloom. Now my problem is to find one. I e-bay very often and can not find any ever being sold..;-(

Mike..:-)

• cpawl
    13 years ago

Mike, Joni has one up on ebay right now.

Cindy

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Great. I have my I-touch phone here at work. Maybe I can somehow sneak and get on and see. Thank you very much!

Mike

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

Mike I would have given you a list of plants that I grow that bloom in the winter but I do use supplemental light that may be responsible for increased growth and blooming.

My Hoya lambii just bloomed again and it gets mostly natural light, about four feet back from a large south window.
    My Hoya pubicalyx does lots of growing during the winter and usually blooms as well. Hoya carnosa and shephardii like to bloom while it's cool and my carnosa gets only natural light.

Mike

• indiana_ron
    13 years ago

My Hoya DS-70, an Exotic Angel plant, came into bloom last month and has produce several umbels. I am absolutely gaga over the color of these flowers. To me, flowers smell exactly like melted butter.
    Grown outdoors this past summer as hanging plant on covered deck; received direct late afternoon and evening sun. Misted daily, sometimes with VF11. Given diluted fertilizer (8-14-9) and VF11 occasionally. Brought indoors in late September and placed in a southern window; found peduncles in mid-December. Ron

• paul_
    13 years ago

My Exotic Angel H. tsangii ?DS-70? bloomed very heavily in November, took Dec off and now is budding up again. My H. mindorensis is in bud too. Both are in my livingroom which receives unobstructed SW exposure. Mindie is in a window but the tsang/DS-70 is off to the side of the sliding glass doors. KQ is being stubborn, and she is just lucky I like her foliage.

• kellyknits
    13 years ago

Ron,
    Cool photo of the DS-70!
    Kelly

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Mike....I would have to say thank you for letting me know. I shall have to add one of those to my collection when springs comes..
    Ron.....What a unique pictures and beautiful plant..Thnak a bunch. That is one happy camper....
    Paul....Maybe one of those to my collection too? lol
    Thanks

Shessh, I never realized how many different Hoya there was until I came here and met you all. And such beauty to boot.

• beachplant
    13 years ago

Mine are outside but several are blooming now. I've got to pull a few in tonight for a cold front, 36-38 degrees but they'll go back out the next day.
    We've had plenty of days in upper 60's, 70's, sun so the plants are happy.
    Tally Ho!
    Hurry up spring!!!!

• imgl
    12 years ago

My Hoya Rubra & Hindu rope plant have both been blooming all winter. I have them hanging in an east window, water when dry, and that's about it. Btw, I live in northern Idaho, so I definitley don't put them outside.
    Ingrid

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH