Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stephaniecay

Hoya Carnosa Rubra

stephanie_kay
11 years ago

I have had my carnosa for about 15 months, I bought it at Walmart for $3 or $4. As you can see it has grown very well for me but it does not have much pink to the leafs and that was one of the things I liked about it and also I was wondering about getting it to flower. I do have it in a
west window, should I take it out on the porch this coming summer? I live just outside of Chicago, anyone in this area that has one that flowers? Stephanie

Comments (3)

• tigerdawn
    11 years ago

What a happy Hoya!

I find that the pink cast is normally on the young leaves. They turn more creamy as they age. Rubra is proably not the best name...

Carnosas are known for taking several years to bloom. They like high light, but more than an hour or so of sun wil burn the leaves. If your temperatures are between 50F and 100F, and the humidity is moderate to high, your hoya should be happy outside.

Also, I notice it is in a pretty big pot. I don't want to suggest you keep it rootbound, but they don't always respond well to being overpotted. Now, here in Oklahoma, I have to overpot a little in the summer, otherwize I have to water several times a day in the heat.

There are other species of Hoya that will get amazing leaf coloration in good light. You might consider one or more of those to get your red leaf fix. Since I do not currently have a Krimson Queen (the original name of your 'Rubra' cultivar), I would be more than willing to trade a cutting of my nicholsoniae come Spring.

Here is a link that might be useful: H. nicholsoniae at Gardino's

• stephanie_kay
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Tigerdawn, I found out after my post that it is actually Krimson Queen. I like that name better.
    Here is my email rofa-2@live.com just email me in the spring to remind me about sending you cuttings. This is something I have never done before so am looking forward to sharing some of my KQ with you.
    A customer where I use to work and who grew Hoya's told me if I want to train it on something to plant it in the pot from the beginning. That is what I did. That is just one plant in there. In the time I have had it I have never trimmed it but after spending time reading different post this morning I am going to trim it and root some and share with you. Maybe do a hanging basket with some in it.
    I am hoping with a little plant food that I will get a chance to see this one in bloom this coming year.
    The Hoya nicholsoniae looks very pretty, am looking forward to trying it also.
    I just got 3 cuttings of DS-70, so am hoping I can get them to root for me.

This post was edited by stephanie_kay on Mon, Jan 7, 13 at 14:58

• greedygh0st
    11 years ago

Hi Stephanie

I did read your post first, but you and val asked the same question around the same time, and I happened to post my response in their thread, found here.

You should have no problem getting your carnosa to flower in Chicago. Mine has flowered with only natural light in both Minneapolis and Omaha. And there are a lot of Canadians in the forum that bloom Hoyas beautifully.

As for taking it out on the porch, it really depends on the porch. If it was an unshaded west facing porch, that would be way too much (although my wayetii did survive on mine!). If you have a partially shaded porch, facing a gentler direction, I think that would be great. At any rate, Hoyas burn, but they don't instantly crumple up into dust like a vampire. If the light is too strong, you will notice and have time to move the plant to a gentler location. And it will be just fine. :)

Sponsored