Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jackierooke

How to start cuttings?

jackierooke
19 years ago

I won 10 Hoya cuttings on Ebay. Now how do I root them? Also they are common names and I can only find pictures of a couple. They are : Bella, BrightEyes, Queen, Princess, Kerri, Compacta Green, Compacta varigated, Shepardi. Can anyone help?

Jackie

Comments (21)

• mayhr
    19 years ago

just put them in plain water till they get roots, then plant

• Panamon_Creel
    19 years ago

Make a search for "rooting Hoyas" or "propagating Hoyas" within this forum and you'll get multiple discussions in that regard.

Hoya bella, also sometimes called Hoya lanceolata ssp. bella.
    Hoya carnosa 'Krimson Queen', white/cream leaf edge, green inside.
    Hoya carnosa 'Krimson Princess', Green leaf edge, white/cream inside.
    Hoya kerrii, heart shaped leaves.
    Hoya compacta (including variegated form), commonly named Hindu Rope, Rope Hoya, Krinkle Kurl.
    Hoya shepherdii, cgoes by the common name of stringbean hoya I believe.
    Bright Eyes I don't know about but it might be one of those creative (or not)cultivar names for H. pubicalyx or H. carnosa.

• nazanine
    19 years ago

Just to add a tiny thing to what Panamon said : I believe "string bean hoya" also is applied to H. kentiana and others that have bean like leaves.
    Personnally I rather rooting directly in soil, I poke a hole with my finger (around an inch or so), stick the cutting in and put back soil around it. Water well the first time, put in bright spot and then water from time to time (generally every 2-3 days or when soil becomes dried on top). With time you will learn that there are many ways of rooting cuttings, and you'll find what works best for you!
    Good luck with rooting, you received a very nice choice of Hoyas!

• ryanferre
    19 years ago

OH NO NO NO!!!! Yet another one bites the dust! Welcome to the addicting hoyas! Once you see them bloom--your hooked---but you even got it worse--you get an instant introduction the the many varieties! ARGH!!!!

They really aren't difficult to root! Nazanine knows whats she talking about (***wink--from PLANTRYAN***)

I use soil myself--but there are many who prefer water!

In any case---once your plants get rooted you will want to provide pest control--they get bugs--especially mealies. I simply use a systemic! This keeps them happy and I dont have to look at wierd creatures!

With much sympathy for your new found addiction

RYAN

PS--you might not be addicted yet--but once you start..... ... .. . . . . .

• tondajoe
    19 years ago

I have 5 cuttings of Hoya...1 is sitting in water and the roots are crazy...and my other 4 are in dirt...they took a little longer to root..but after about 3-4 months they took off (the ones in the dirt!)
    My suggestion is throw them in water and sit them in a window or in front of grow lights..and within 3-4 weeks you'll have roots...at least that was my experinece.

Tonda

• pirate_girl
    19 years ago

Hi Tonda,

Sounds like you're doing well w/ this. Just wanted to suggest to you that the one you have in water, w/ the crazy roots, should probably be potted up soon. If the water roots get long, the plant has a tougher time adjusting to the new environment in a pot w/ soil. Spring might have been the ideal time to pot it up, but I wouldn't wait longer if it were me. Good luck w/ it!

• blb66
    17 years ago

I have a hindu rope plant which I've had for at least 7 yrs. Just last yr. it has produced flowers. I would like to make cuttings but don't know where to cut or break off and then what do I do??

• ines_99
    17 years ago

Just cut off 3 or 4 inches, strip the leaves from the bottom nodes, dip in rootone and plant in a good fast draining medium, making sure node is below soil level. Keep in a bright place with no direct sun, don't let them dry out.

In a few weeks, tug gently, if you get any resistance, they have probably sent out roots. You will need several cuttings to make a plant so root at least 3.

• luxum
    17 years ago

"Just cut off 3 or 4 inches, strip the leaves from the bottom nodes"...

If i cut it back 3 or 4 inches, there will be no leaves on the cutting at all. I have what E.A. calls hoya kentiana, but which some sites say is really wayetii. I got it about a year ago, and i just love it to death.

It has grown a shock of very long hanging, leafless stems with small epiphytic roots at each node, and lots of peduncles have formed since this spring - it's been in bloom continously since May. At the top of the plant it is very full with succulent leaves that are sort of "taco-shaped". The leaves on the window side blush a lovely red - i turn the plant periodically.

All of the new growth had this very long extention with the leaves slowly filling down from the top. If i cut a few nodes back from where the leaves start, the cutting will be 12 to 14 inches long. Advice?

• pirate_girl
    17 years ago

Hi Luxum,

You could just take off one pair of leaves & pot it up (w/ the node buried in the mix), but personally, I prefer to start these kinds of Hoyas in water, works fine for me.

Do I understand yr. post right, you have bare vines which are blooming? If so, I haven't come across that myself. I believe you only need one or 2 nodes & one pair of leaves to start cuttings, but really, I'd try water rooting instead. Then, when the roots are abt 1" long, pot the cutting(s) up & you're on yr. way!

PS: Taco shaped leaves are not Kentiana or Wayetti, which are similar looking & usually described as reminiscent of string beans or long thin canoes. Taco shaped makes me think of H. Compacta (aka Hindu rope). Also the pinkish blush is more chracteristic of Compacta or Carnosas, I've never seen or heard of Wayetti or Kentiana w/ pinkish, they're always solid green, no speckles either.

You might might to browse the Hoya Photo Gallery &/or do a search to ge a firmer ID.

• luxum
    17 years ago

It's definitely not hindu rope and doesn't have a leaf shape like any of the carnosas i've seen. I have browsed the photo galleries and it's an exact match for what most sites call kentiana, and that is how it was tagged although who can trust EA for ID, right? The bloom color and shape matches, including the way the petals open so far that they curl up backwards like fuzzy little Russian hats over the rest of the flower which drips nectar that smells sweet and faintly musty. The leaves fold in the middle like a taco, but they are more elongated, like a canoe perhaps. I guess i could see calling it "string bean', although i've never seen a string bean folded in the middle, they seem to be more cyndrical. Maybe if you only considered the side view.

I have a moderate quality picture of it at home with a few blooms visible that i can post later. If it's not really kentiana, then it's whatever most websites mistakingly call kentiana. It was completely green when i bought it and all through the winter. The side facing the window colored up around late June/early July, and the red fades quickly when that side is rotated away from the light. It's inches from a third story dormer-type window and gets unobstructed bright light all day and direct sun in the morning.

At any rate, yes i have very long bare vines that are blooming profusely, often more than one peduncle on each vine, and the peduncles are almost all towards the tips of the vines, not high up where the leaves are. My friend has a carnosa that bloomed much higher on the vine (and only two blooms total for him this year, off that single peduncle), and his vines only have a couple of inches bare before the leaves start. His plant doesn't seem to be growing the epiphytic roots at each node like mine is, and his flowers don't recurve like mine, they stay more or less flat, star-shaped. Mine has leaves way up high, then long leafless stems, some are leafless for more than 2 feet.

I guess my real question is if the leaves are even needed for propogation? If i just cut off a few inches of stem with roots at the internodes (and that will get some peduncles too), but no actual leaves, will they take? Or should i make 2 foot long cuttings in order to get some leaves?

• luxum
    17 years ago

Hopefully this will help to show you what i've been trying to describe. This is a picture from early June. It's from a strange angle and it's not the clearest image, but it's the best i've got. Since the photo was shot, each leafless vine extended 6 to 8 inches. The leaves advanced one pair on some vines, on some not at all. Each vine has at least one peduncle, and many vines have two or three, all towards the tips of new growth. When i took it down to water it, only a couple of the brand new leaves were showing the blush, and it has deepened to more of a plum color. The leaves which were more colored earlier in the season now have very dark leaf margins but overall deep green coloration.

• ines_99
    17 years ago

I think it's a very nice Hoya kentiana - is that an 8" pot?
    I got one in a 6" for $3 or $4 at Home Depot because it was in pretty sad shape. It looks great now, I figure one more year and it may look as great as yours.

I have been looking at it trying to figure out where the fowers will be forming, now I see that it is like carnosa and pubicalyx and the plant needs those long practically leafless vines to bloom on - I'm halfway there ...

Nice plant, good job growing it!

• pirate_girl
    17 years ago

Hi Luxum,

Nice pix, apologies (must'a had a brain glitch), I mistook yr. description of taco-shaped for something else. While I don't know these that well, it sure looks like the Kentiana, Wayetti group.

I can't offer any advice, as all of these of mine are small cuttings & far too young to even think of blooming. I'm jealous (in a warm, friendly way).

Good growing, it seems happy & healthy, if it were mine, I'd just leave it as is & continue w/ the same care they're enjoying now.

• ines_99
    17 years ago

Now I think I understand your question about how to do cuttings. First, find a nice healthy LONG stem with lots of leaves and cut it up near the edge of the pot just after a set of leaves. Now you can cut this cutting into 2 or 3 sections depending on how long it is - all you need to make a cutting is a node and at least one set of leaves. The cutting doesn't have to be the full stem with that leafless end viney part- in fact, you can just cut that off. To try to explain it simply, cut sections containing 2 sets of leaves each- keep track of which end came from the pot and which end is the end of the stem. Snip the leaves off of the bottom node, and there is your first cutting. It should be a stem with a leafless node at the bottom and a set of leaves at the top. Poke a hole in the soil, stick it in so the node is under the soil level and deep enough that the set of leaves are about a half inch above the soil level. Do 3 or 4 in a 4" pot. The reason for doing short cuttings like this is so that you will wind up with a full, bushy plant. As the cutting roots and grows, the stem should send up new growth from the soil level, and from the top leaves, and this new growth will eventually form the leaves and vines you see on your mama plant.

Is this what you wanted to know ?? I hope so

• luxum
    17 years ago

"Is this what you wanted to know ??"

Indeed! Thanks much.

Ines - it's either an 8" or 10" pot. It was nice and full when i bought it, and what you see is a little less than a year's unchecked growth. I've had little luck with flowering plants indoors (i'm not the most consistent waterer), so i'm really thrilled with this plant which seems to have been made for me. Even though i am constantly cleaning fallen flowers from the stairs and sticky nectar off the railing, i just love it.

Pirate Girl - no apology needed! A picture really is worth a thousand words. :)

• ines_99
    17 years ago

most Hoyas don't mind inconsistant waterers, I keep mine on the dry side. As long as they are getting good light and you don't forget the water completely, they can do well, as we can tell by yours. You should try other hoya varieties, some of them have messier flowers than others - I hear hoya kerii is the worst with the dripping nectar, mine has yet to bloom though.

Well, good luck with your cuttings - BTW, I took some cuttings from my kentiana in May and they rooted pretty quick but are only now finally showing new growth so be patient, some take longer than others depending on the species, the time of year, and the enviroment you provide.

• pirate_girl
    17 years ago

Dear Ines,

What an excellent lesson; while I'm certain Luxum appreciates it, so do I & & I imagine most other Hoya fans reading it. Well explained & informative, I will remember it for future so SOME day when my Kentianas decide to throw those long vines I'll know what to do!

As a matter of fact, now that I think of it, I have some that just threw their 1st rather long vine. I was given numerous Kentiana cuttings last Fall & had enough to experiment growing them in diff. ways.

So I have one cutting in the tiniest cup possible (condiment cup, next to my stove). Another in a solo cup hanging in west window (this one just has the 1st leaf on this long vine) & the 3rd in a small cup w/ Leca stones which I keep barely topped up w/ water (I guess this is my hydroponic version). That one throws short new stems w/ leaf pairs often. I got all of thesee last Oct (Thank you Lesli) & they were rather slow to kick into new growth, but the experiments have been interesting.

• ines_99
    17 years ago

Well, considering my kentiana was very slow in getting new growth, and so was yours, Pirate Girl - maybe that means that kentiana is just a slow one to get started. These things are so good to know, especially for someone who has never done it - you have to have patience, but it is a relief to know that you can come here for info.

One thing I would like to add, alot of people use much smaller pots for cuttings that I do ( 4" ). Two inch pots are recommended, and even I probably wouldn't put a single cutting in a 4 inch pot. If you do want to use a larger pot to start cuttings, make sure it is a well draining, quicker-to-dry soil. You will have to check for watering more often but there will be less of a problem with root rot. I also like clay pots, though I find that the plants roots stick to the sides and it is harder to get the plant out of a clay pot when it comes time to pot it up to the next size.

• luxum
    17 years ago

Pirate Girl, now that the ID is firmed up, do you still recommend the water rooting for this type? It's much easier for me to start cuttings in water than soil, so i hope so.

This weekend i took my shears up to where it hangs, to decide which vine to snip to use for cuttings... and i just didn't have the heart to cut it. So this is just for future reference really. :)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!