Return to the Hoya Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My First EVER Hoya Bloom!

Posted by OOwl none (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 4, 13 at 11:50

I'm not new to houseplants but I am to Hoyas. I was mostly an orchid grower until I discovered Hoyas at my favorite local garden shop. I got a few over the past summer, and I ordered some online. To date, nothing has died at all, so they must really like the conditions here in Texas. Even though it's quite dry here, I have aquariums in my home, so it's always humid. Anyway, I wasn't really expecting blooms anytime soon, especially with just getting started and acquiring small, immature plants. I love the foliage of Hoyas and I was content to just enjoy that for a while. The ones summering outside, I brought in and put under cheap plant bulbs (seriously, the ones at Wal-Mart mounted on my plant stand!) and, low and behold, the plants love it! I have 8 orchids in spike and I noticed my clearance $5 Hoya lacunosa in bloom and more coming! How exciting! The fragrance is lovely, too. I see why all of you are so enamored with the plants. Before today, I had never even seen a REAL hoya in bloom, only pictures, so it's pretty exciting for me. :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My First EVER Hoya Bloom!

Congrats on your first bloom! Grat news is once lacunosa starts blooming it lasts for month, it will grow new flowers on same peduncle over and over!

Aggie

o

May this be the first of many!

o

What a great reward! Congratulations!

o

Its very exciting getting flowers even for us old timers LOL.
Congratulations.

Cindy

o

• Posted by OOwl none (My Page) on
    Sat, Jan 5, 13 at 22:40

Thanks, ya'll! I always thought the carnosas would be the first to bloom. I never expected one of the others to, especially under cheapie lights (heck, I was just trying to keep them alive until they could go back to the porch this spring!). All in all, I've been really impressed with these plant lights. I decided to TRY them and see if they would keep stuff alive before I ordered more expensive plant lights everyone is always talking about, and they've done more than that. Tons of orchids are in bud, my Crown of Thorns are both blooming, all the cactus are growing, and, best of all, my Desert Rose didn't defoliate AT ALL!!!

Anyway, looking forward to more blooms in the coming months/years. I guess I'm well and truly hooked. :)

o

Congratulations, Owl! I am happy your interest in Hoyas has been bolstered by lacunosa's stellar performance. ;P

Your story about the cheap but effective lights made me smile. Sometimes it's the things you have the lowest expectations for that give you the most joy.

o

I hope you don't mind if I pile on here, but my lacunosa Snow Caps (seriously, guys... is it Snow caps or Sno Caps?) buds just opened up and I'm really excited. :) I haven't had a lot of success with my lacunosas giving me full displays yet, but this one looks like it might mean business this time, as several other peduncles are developing nicely too.

Hoya lacunosa Sno(w) Caps

Hoya lacunosa Snow Caps

Hoya lacunosa Snow Caps

Hoya lacunosa Snow Caps

Also, there's this pretty leaf nearby and I have nowhere else to post this picture, but I thought you guys might like it.

Hoya finlaysonii Ripple Leaf

Hoya finlaysonii 'Ripple Leaf'

o

In Texas also and they LOVE it outside in the spring/Summer! They all pout in the late fall when I bring them in. =)

o

both Beautiful GG.... Hey, what camera are you using??... your getting such nice detailed up close photos...

o

Thanks. I'm using a Canon Mark IV now, but I'm a long way from using its full capabilities. Practice makes perfect, though. ;)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hoya Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here