Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moonwolf_gw

How's Everyone (And Their Hoyas) Doing?

moonwolf_gw
13 years ago

Hi everyone,

That old feeling is back again! I've been looking at hoyas lately and trying to figure out which ones I want to add to my collection. I would like cuttings/ maybe I'll have to send away for motoskei. My huge plant I got in a trade last spring has been reduced to a small cutting. The Dragons are a definite must on my list.

As for updates, RHP and Red Buttons are sprouting new leaves. Carnosa (Nikki) and Pink Silver are growing somewhat :). I found a very splashy leaf on Pink Silver (funny thing, it's on the side facing the window). Turns out it was just new growth on Nikki instead of a peduncle (I've done that before). As for my non-hoyas, the only thing I have to report is that my TC is budding up somewhat again.

So, how are you all doing? I can't help but wonder where some members have gone (tigerdawn, maid in montana, to name a few). Anyone tired of winter yet?

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Comments (10)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    13 years ago

Hey, Brad.

My Hoyas are handling the winter well.
    Vanuatuensis and RHP are continuously growing. Pink Silver and Obovata are fat and happy.

My Christmas Cactus hasn't stopped blooming yet.

Josh

• binlin
    13 years ago

I was gone for a few weeks and left my plants tied up in clear garbage bags. The Hoyas all loved the garbage bag treatment and fared quite well, but a few of the xeric plants didn't appreciate the increased humidity.

• quinnfyre
    13 years ago

Ooh! Who is this lovely one that we are looking at? Also, do you have mylar on your walls too?

As for adding to my collection, I'm not going to. I'm thinking of an out of state move sometime this year, and adding more is just going to make things that much harder. So, it's just growing what I already have and keeping them happy, so that the stress of moving takes as little out of them as possible. I might still have some trades in the works, but I don't know if they're still on. We'll see when we get there; it's too cold to ship anything right now anyway.

• binlin
    13 years ago

@quinnfyre
    That's H. chlorantha. It's a quick grower and blooms every few weeks under good conditions. The mylar in the background is lining a wire shelf I use to grow plants in my apartment. I've got only one window so I grow exclusively with fluorescent lights.

• kellyknits
    13 years ago

Wow! That chlorantha is beautiful! What kind of mix do you grow in? Thinking you've shown your setup before - will search for it!

Brad, I go back and forth with what I'm going to do this year! There are still more than several hoyas on my must have list...but then part of me thinks I need to concentrate mostly on what I already I have. Since I've gotten so many of mine as single cuttings or plants, been thinking I should start propogating some to produce full plants.

Kelly

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Rennet, that's a beautiful hoya! The picture I've seen of the flowers are green not white. How odd!

Josh, my obovata cutting has done nothing since I got it (except take root of course).

Quinn, good luck with the move when it occurs.

Kelly, I go back and forth too. I started off the same way you did.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

Everything is pretty good here Brad. There was that problem with my Hoya lauterbachii and I think that I will have to repot my Hoya sp Sulawesi GPS 8898 because it develops yellow leaves quite often. I moved it to a large pot but the new mix is too heavy on peat based compost and not enough coconut husk chips or bark.
    I have been moving more Hoyas up from 4" pots to larger containers and I really do think I am at my limit space wise. I think this will be a year where I get very few new Hoyas.

Not much blooming but the regulars Hoya DS-70, multiflora and yellow Hoya heuschkeliana. The plants that I got in the fall are all doing well and putting out new growth and a couple look like they are starting to think about blooming. My Hoya lambii is growing many new leaves and a new vine or two. Last night I had to give my big hanging Hoya carnosa a bubble bath to drown the mealies that are always plaguing it. That was the first time I ever gave a plant a bubble bath. LOL

Mike

• quinnfyre
    13 years ago

That is a lovely chlorantha, I have to say again! I have mylar on my walls behind a wire shelf also, and lining the tops and bottoms of my growing shelf. I noticed an added benefit I wasn't thinking of when I put up the mylar: it keeps things warmer. Perhaps that is one reason why my subcalva is happier in that window than it was last winter.

I love the visual of giving a carnosa a bubble bath!

To amuse myself, even though I really don't want to add to my collection this year, I WILL put up a wish list. Here's mine:

campanulata
    camphorifolia
    chlorantha (it was already on my list but now doubly so!)
    globulifera
    limoniaca
    obscura
    pottsii with the greenish blue flowers
    siariae
    sigillatis
    sp. Nong Nooch
    tjadasmalangensis

Probably missing some, but that's the general idea. Of these, I only really want chlorantha and obscura sooner rather than later, and I think I have a trade going for a cpl others already. So, a pretty manageable list, eh?

• swizzmizz5557
    13 years ago

My Hoya was doing beautifully in in 2009. During Summer 2010 it didn't bloom as much and the leaves started getting pale. Most are pale now. It has mealy bugs and has been sprayed once with soap/water solution. It has been in the same pot for 9 years. It sits in a south west location with indirect sunlight. I think I was over watering it. I don't know what type of Hoya I have.
    1. How can I get the dark green color back?
    2. How often should I treat for the mealy bugs?
    3. Should I re-pot it and during what season?
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    13 years ago

Yes you should re-pot!!!
    Nine years is waaaaaay too long for a potted plant.
    Are you in zone 11? If so, you could potentially re-pot right this minute.
    Otherwise, wait until the start of Spring and the return of warm weather.

Josh

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH