Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rvpasquale

Top of hoya is yellow....

rvpasquale
11 years ago

Greetings,

I'm glad I found this forum! I've attached a picture of my hoya and am hoping to get some help.

My hindu rope hoya is about 10 years old, and has never bloomed. I purchased it mail order and it was 6" long when I got it. Now it is about 5' long, and has stayed in the same pot and same window for the last 5 years or so. In the last year, the new growth has come in pink/yellow...i.e. no green with variegation.

My questions are:
1. Should I move this plant?
2. Should I prune it?
3. Should I repot it?
4. Will it ever bloom?

Thanks for your time,
Gina

Comments (20)

• mdahms1979
    11 years ago

Can you tell us what conditions your plant is in? What way does the window face and how far away is the plant? Do you fertilize? I think repotting would be at the top of my list of recommendations. Generally non blooming house plants are receiving too little light but nutrition is often also a factor.

Mike

• rvpasquale
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sure, Mike. The window faces SE, and is a frosted-glass bathroom window. My hoya sits right next to the window.

I fertilize with half-strength Miracle Gro liquid houseplant fertilizer (8-7-6); 4 drops/qt, each time I water.

• rvpasquale
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's the photo...

• rvpasquale
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's a closeup of the top of my hoya. The leaves are pale, pinkish cream.

After much searching, I think I have a "H. Carnosa Compacta Variegated", originally purchased from Logee's.

Is it dying, since the new growth is pink? I've never really lost any leaves on this plant, and they have always been pretty fleshy.

Any advice?
    Thanks,
    Gina

• kevin8307
    11 years ago

I'm not much of an expert, but the growth looks healthy. Maybe its different variety of compacta that will have that coloring. It looks rather nice to me.

• teisa
    11 years ago

Wow!!! That is the variegated Hindu Rope. That is beautiful! I'm not sure what makes certain parts turn all white. But that's what it looks like to me. Some variegated Hoyas will produce long vines of all white. I've never seen the Hindu Rope put out an all white section but it appears that is what is happening. It looks very healthy!

• mdahms1979
    11 years ago

Conditions are ideal for your plant and I am glad to say that your care is not the problem. Your plant is showing variegation, a lack of chlorophyll on the margins of the leaves. The new growth completely lacks chlorophyll and this means that the plant is not able to use that growth to perform photosynthesis. The plant would do much better if the all white growth were removed. I have to admit that it looks quite neat but it's certainly not helping the plant remain healthy.

Mike

• alavoneluvhoya
    11 years ago

The pale leaves on this plant are amazing! Some of my Carnosas' throw these leaves from time to time. I have heard it is not good for the plant; once I see one I take it off. Its a hard decision here due to the beauty of your plant!

• plantomaniac08
    11 years ago

I have to agree, the all white vine is just apart of having a variegated Hoya. I have a H. carnosa 'Krimson Queen' that has a couple of all white vines that have been present since I purchased it last year. I haven't removed them because I like them. I have to say, it's uncommon IMO to see a variegated hindu rope let alone one with an all white vine!

Planto

• plantomaniac08
    11 years ago

Forgot to mention in my post... in the case of your Hoya, since it only has one vine and the tip has turned all white, I would trim it back as it will continue to grow all white. It should branch out around where you trim it (if not right at the tip where you cut it). I trimmed back my Hoyas a few times and sometimes I get two vines! It's similar to when a Hoya "reverts," you have to trim it back to get rid of the reversion or it'll continue to grow that way.

Planto

• rvpasquale
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow! Thank you all for your excellent posts and advice! I think I will trim off the white part today, and see what happens. I did find some other pictures on the internet of Variegated hindu ropes, where the tips grow white...and then grow pinkish...almost looking like an interesting flower at the tip. However, when I purchased this rope many years ago, I was hoping for some porcelain-type flowers, which have never shown up. So, I'll keep you posted...
    Thanks, again!
    -Gina (from New Mexico)

• cpawl
    11 years ago

I agree I would cut off the all white piece of vine.I have found that after a bit of time the all white leaves will start to brown and die anyways.

Cindy

• greedygh0st
    11 years ago

:) Sorry that it has to be pruned, but your pictures are gorgeous! Looks almost surreal. Nice growing!

• patrick51
    11 years ago

Gina...I suggest that you NOT cut the white portion off. If the entire plant was white, then it'd be necessary. With only parts of each vine being white, there's absolutely nothing to worry about. Those white leaves will eventually turn green...the plant knows what it's doing, and will turn the leaves to a variegated version when it senses that it requires more chlorophyl. Enjoy your hoya just as it is..it's one of the nicest variegated compactas that I've ever seen. Do NOT worry at all about the white leaves. Fondly, Patrick

• mdahms1979
    11 years ago

Patrick have you had a plant revert back to green after growing a vine without chlorophyll? I don't grow any of these variegated Hoyas, not really my thing. Still I am interested to hear about your experience.

Mike

• plantomaniac08
    11 years ago

Patrick,
    I'm also interested in seeing if you've had a plant revert as the all white vines on my Hoya haven't changed yet in the year I've had it. They've gotten longer, but that's it.

Planto

• Denise
    11 years ago

I've been growing variegated Hoyas (and other plants) for over 35 years and I've never had a spurt of all-white growth turn green. I'm very curious about this, too! I have a variegated carnosa ('KQ') and it has a couple all cream/pink vines that have remained in good condition for a few years (I'd guess 3 or 4). I do lose an occasional leaf to drying/browning as Cindy describes, but for the most part, they do fine. I used to cut off all white vines, because they tend to slow the growth of the plant, but mine is large enough now, I'm ok with it being slow-growing. I will admit, however, that it rarely blooms, and that may be why. But I love the look of the cream and pink, so it's a personal call whether to trim off or not.

That being said, I would probably still go ahead and whack it off in your case, only because it's got just the one growing point and I can't imagine it will go back to normal growth until you trim it. I do like the way you're growing compacta, though - I've never seen it grown on a trellis before.

Denise in Omaha

• plantomaniac08
    11 years ago

I agree with Denise.

Denise,
    Maybe that's why my KQ hasn't bloomed either... I chose to leave the all white vines on mine too. At least the foliage is nice enough to enjoy in the absence of flowers.

Planto

• patrick51
    11 years ago

Hi..my variegated compacta forms many white leaves, but the plant has far more green leaves, and therefore, the plant gets sufficient chlorophyl. On this compacta, the leaves don't usually change to green, more often they dry up and fall off. On the carnosa KQ, the all-white vines always revert to green...the green starts with a single green dot in the middle of the leaf, and rather quickly covers the entire leaf, other than the leaf margins...the 3-4 foot vines seem to all turn green at the same time. It's rare that the vines remain white for more than a month or so. Keep in mind that variegated plants are not as prolific bloomers as their all-green counterparts. My regular compacta blooms frequently, the variegated one has never bloomed...the variegated plants also don't grow as rampantly as the all-green ones. My variegated compacta is about a foot and a half long, whereas the all-green one is 6 feet long. Still, the variegated one is beautiful...and Gina's is one of the nicest ones I've ever seen...mine seems to go through stages. Hope this helps, fondly, Patrick

• Paphia
    10 years ago

I have the same plant, and the same thing is happening to me.. New leaves are completely white... At the moment I have only 4 leaves..

It's a rather small plant with only 1 stem... I don't mind if it grows slowly or never blooms... If that white leaves would not have any negative effect, I rather prefers to keep them... But now I am not sure about it... What should I do...