Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mitzicos

Need help with ID please

mitzicos
12 years ago

I have some hoyas which ID I really don't know, does anyone can help me please?

Thank you very much

Mitzi from Brazil

Comments (10)

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

Sorry Mitzi but none of those are distinct enough to identify without flowers. Do you know what the names are but the tags got mixed up or did you loose the tags?

Mike

• patrick51
    12 years ago

Mitzi...there are so many different hoyas that would look like the ones you pictured. A couple look like they might be H. meliflua, or perhaps a young H. meliflua ssp. fraterna. One looks like it could be H. subquintuplinervis...but, these are only guesses. It'd be much easier to tell you which ones they AREN'T...none are H. linearis, retusa, megalaster, etc. If you have detached ID tags...the names would be helpful. Best wishes, Patrick

• mitzicos
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you Mike and Patrick, in fact I lost their ID's during the trip back to Brasil, but they are going to be surprises hoyas for me!
    I heard that one could be obscura phillip, might be!

Thank you once again,

Mitzi
    Mitzi

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

Hi Mitzi,

Glad to see you back again & that your husband is recovering well.

Sorry I can't help w/these IDs, but wish to ask, what is that white powder on top of the mix in the last 2 pictures?

(PG) Karen

• mitzicos
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Karen,

The white powder is fertilizer.

From the ones I got in LA here is the names of ones I cannot find:

H. Crassicaulis
    H. Affinis
    H. Naumani

Can any of the above be one of those?

Sorry for my confusion! It came properly identified, but I made a mistake and lost their ID. My faul.

Thank you

Mitzi

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

Hi Mitzi,

Is the fertilizer supposed to be applied like that? Am doubting it. I have some fertilizer which is liquid, which one adds to water & then waters in.

I have some fertilizer which are powders to add to liquid & then water in.

I have no fertilizer applied just like that -- powder directly on to the mix, I'd be afraid it would burn the roots like that. Are you sure that's how it's supposed to be applied?

• mitzicos
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi PG,

I have no idea how should I apply this fertilizer because the original bottle broken, so I lost its instructions!!!!! I don't even remember its name, if I did I could find the instructions in internet. First I mixed it in water, but I notice that it was indissoluble and the powder remain in the watering! Them I put like that, the way you saw it. Probably it is not the correct use! Let's see what happen, but as far as I remember it was supposed to be used like that, but not sure at all.

I tried to put the powder as far as possible from the plant in order to avoid any demage, but let's see what happens...... thank you very much for your concern, I had the same feeling but I used it before..... I just killed one hoya............ LOL!!!!!

Mitzi

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

Hi Mitzi,

I'd take that powdered fertilizer out of there NOW, I'm pretty sure that's not supposed to be applied that way. Maybe try dissolving it in WARM water, I'd be concerned at damaging your plant.

I'd take it ALL out of there, the harm of no fertilizer at all will still be much less than the potential harm of applying it like this, could burn the plant &/or the roots; bad idea Mitzi, sorry. I'd also be concerned if you have any kids or pets in the house.

Excuse me Mitzi (mi desculpa), what you're doing is NOT SAFE. You MUST pls. keep the information w/ the name of product & directions or pls. throw the entire thing out.

As example, I recently took out my insecticide at home, hadn't used it in over 5 yrs maybe 10. I keep it in an old coffee can marked in red & yellow "danger, insecticide, wash well when done handling".

I live alone Mitzi, there's no one there to follow these instructions but me, as we say here in America 'better safe than sorry'.

• mitzicos
    Original Author
    12 years ago

PG,

Before reading your post I did took everything away. I remembered the name of the fertilizer and looked the usage instructions in their site! It was supposed to be dissolved in water! So I removed everything away........

Thank you very much for your advice! I hope I didn't do any damage for the plants.

Mitzi

• mitzicos
    Original Author
    12 years ago

PG,

I still laughing about your post it seems that I'm hearing you talking to me: "I'd take it ALL out of there NOW". I felt all your emphasize and your concern.

I don't have kids at home only a dog, but all my plants are out of her range.

I don't know why I did that, I don't like powder fertilizer, always buy liquids one. I'm very afraid about dosage of fertilizer I've seen many friends killing their plants with fertilizers.

Even before reading your post I removed everything away, and after putting the powder in the plant I told to my husband that he would not water the plant before I check if that product should be used that way. Honestly I have no idea why I put that powder there, maybe trying to get my hoyas strong and beautitul. A big mistake, of course!

Fortunatelly I remembered the name of it and look at the site of the producer to follow its usage instrucions...... of course I did wrong!

Once again thank you very much for your concern and advice.

Mitzi