Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
missyrose7

Got a hoya, now what?

missyrose7
14 years ago

Hi, my friend got me a hoya to add to my houseplants and I don't know anything about it. I have been finding conflicting information about them online. How do I take care of it? Does it need to climb or trail? If anyone can give my some idea of what is best for it I would appreciate it. The tag says that it is a Hoya Carnosa Strawberries and Cream.

Thanks,

Missy

Comments (9)

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Hi Missy, welcome to the forum and congrats on your new hoya. Sounds like you have Hoya carnosa krimson queen, check out the picture below and see if that resembles your hoya? I can share with you how I grow mine and hope it helps. I have mine in a hanging basket, but I think its a personal thing. Some people have it on a trellis as well. It all depends on you and how you want to grow it. I water mine(well) and then let the soil dry out a bit before I water it well again. I fertilizer at half strength every 2-4weeks during the growing season. They like med. to bright light prefably not full sun as it can sunburn or turn the leaves pale(washed out)looking. Soon you will some pretty blooms to look forward to.

Good luck with your hoya and enjoy!

• Denise
    14 years ago

Hi Missy,

Your conditions are similar to mine - I grow this one in an east window where it gets morning sun. If you got the one with the variegation on the edges (like Pug's), you got the better of the two variegates. The other one (with the variegation in the center of the leaves) reverts back to green if you let it. I keep the green shoots cut off so it stays variegated.

Denise in Omaha

• pirate_girl
    14 years ago

Pardon me ladies, but I thought the Hoya 'Strawberries & Cream' was what was more normally called H. marlea or maybe even H chelsea. I'm pretty sure it was either of these rather than the KQ or KP.

Am I the only one remembering this?

Additionally, a year or 2 ago, the Plant & Hoya person Ellen Zachos came & spoke at my Indoor Gardening Group. I thought I recall her having the H. Marlea, &/or Chelsea w/ her.

Welcome to the newcomer,

Whatever it is, pls. enjoy it & just browse around here at a bunch of different threads, you'll begin to see how we work/think.

• moonwolf_gw
    14 years ago

Hi Missy,

Welcome to the hoya forum! My KQ is in a hanging basket and I got it at a local grocery store (Weis) last year for about $10 or so. It's doing beautifully and even has two small peduncles on it!

Congrats on your new addition! Just follow the basics and advice given and your plant should bloom. Keep an eye out for mealy bugs! Good luck and happy hoya growing!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Hi PG, I found this on Amazon and what they are calling
    Strawberries and Cream appears to be Krimson Queen. Not to say that someone hasn't listed H.marlea or H.chelsea Strawberries and cream before.

Here is a link that might be useful: Strawberries and Cream waxplant...amazon

• missyrose7
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for everyone's advice, I am sure it will help. I had no idea there were people who collected them. Mine's leaves look just like the picture and now I can't wait until it blooms. I will let you know how it goes.
    Thanks again,
    Missy

• 069purplehaze
    12 years ago

My mom has a wax plant and she keeps it outside and she lives in south Texas! It gets really hot there. Today it was 102! The plants are green and lush! I read that they are houseplants why is that? Do they grow better inside? Her's looks like the Hoya that puglvr1 has. I had one too but I left it outside and it froze.

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

/Haze I believe a plant may receive the "houseplant" designation merely because it can successfully be grown indoors year round. Hoyas are very happy outside, as your experience indicates. They don't grow better indoors, although there are certainly some varieties that are less tolerant of conditions very dissimilar from their place of origin, and these conditions are easier to control indoors.

Maybe your mom will give you a cutting of her plant and you can start again.

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm
More Discussions