Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
psyc1210

New to Hoyas...any input appreciated.

psyc1210
13 years ago

Hello,

I have a couple hoyas I was given, and then purchased one on my own. However I don't really know the culture for these plants. I.E what to pot them in, how much light to provide, when they normally bloom, etc.

I have a Hoya serpens that was given to me as a cutting. It has been extremely slow for me. I had it near a NW facing window, but recently switched it to an ESE facing window. I also have a Hoya cummingiana that hasn't been really slow, but I think it wasn't getting enough light, and put it in front of the ESE facing window as well. The other Hoya I have is a carnosa, with the variegated leaves. I found it in a big hanging pot at Home Depot. Not sure what it's potted in. The others came to me in potting soil. I've been waiting til the soil gets dry, for the most part, and then watering again.

Any cultural information for the Hoyas would be greatly appreciated. I hope to one day get them all to bloom :)

Comments (8)

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Welcome to the forum.
    Most Hoyas are easy growers if you understand how they grow in nature. Most species are epiphytes with wind dispersed seeds just like their relatives the milkweeds.
    Hoya habitats range from constantly moist to seasonally dry depending on the what part of the world they come from and what habitat. Some areas even follow a double monsoon cycle so they will have two wet periods separated by a dry period. Other Hoyas can spend months under quite dry conditions that would outright kill the species that enjoy less harsh conditions. The good thing about Hoyas is that as long as you follow a few guide lines most species will do well and if need be you can adjust the light, water or other conditions to suit a certain species.

Potting mix - Most growers use a mix based on orchid bark or coconut hush chips that have been rinsed well for several days minimum to remove salts or an inorganic component like expanded clay beads or turface. You can add potting soil to the mix but added perlite will help keep it open, epiphytes usually hate soggy conditions and a fairly quick wet to dry cycle is the aim. Promix type mixes can also be used but again it's good to open them up with added chunky perlite or bark. If you are a heavy waterer a mix made of pure orchid bark also works.
    Most growers use plastic pots because clay can dry too fast and in the heat of the summer you will be watering constantly.

Light - Hoyas will do well in bright indirect light but there are a few that enjoy shade and a few more that want full sun. I grow most of my plant in sunny south facing windows but that is because those are the windows I have available. An East window or a shaded West window would work and even a North window will be fine for the shade lovers. I have a Hoya lacanosa that grows at least ten feet from the nearest window and it does just fine.

From the sounds of it you have been caring for your Hoyas correctly. Hoya serpens enjoys more moisture and a cooler position. Hoya cummnagiana likes moist conditions and very bright light. Hoya cummangiana is often seen in pretty much full sun growing along road cuts in the Philippines and without intense light it will not bloom. You should aim for compact growth with little stem between the leaves and if the leaves get a red margin then you are right where the plant wants to be to bloom. Some Hoyas are truly slow to grow and many species will slowly develop a root system for up to a year after being rooted from a cutting. Once a cutting settles in some cases it will grow a new vine very quickly and then fill that out with leaves so don't chop anything off. I think most of us on the form have quite a mix of species because some take years to grow and bloom while others are much faster. Many species are beautiful even without blooms and they can be used to fill in a collection of Hoyas.

Hoyas seem to be especially attractive to mealy bugs so you need to keep an eye out for white cottony masses on the stems and leaves. If you do notice any let us know and we can give you suggestions to try and get rid of them.

Sites like Hoyor.net, growinghoyas.com or MyHoyas are great places to learn about these plants. I will put a link to one of the Thai collectors who has made the Stemma Journal issues available for download. Stemma Journal was a free Hoya magazine that was available online, this was the best place for hobby growers to get Hoya info and I would recommend reading the issues when you have time. The issues cover potting, propagation and discuss how Hoyas are grouped as a genus.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Apodagis site with Stemma at the bottom of the page

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

Mike..My...You were so nice to post this info to the OP since I also needed to hear this.

I am over whelmed by the names of so many of them, but not growing the ones that I have.

The thing is, is that everyone I got has come with no name or tag.

If I post my own thread and show you pictures of them, is it possible that you could tell me the needs of each one on brief form, possible the names so I myself can look us their habitat? It seems that most sellers and info I ahve seen is basically telling me to treat them all the same.

I really appreciate your kindness and great question to start this thread .
    I hope you really enjoy these plants which I find impossible to not to do with all these nice people here and the knwoledge dispensed!

Mike

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

Mike if you post your unknown Hoya in a new post we can do our best to ID them for you and give some cultural advice.
    I grow the majority of my Hoyas the same but some have faster draining mixes, some get more or less light and others are on a more specific watering schedule to suit their needs. If a plant is growing well for you there is no need to change anything. I am a firm beliver in the old addage If it isn't broken don't fix it! I have learned that lesson myself the hard way.

When you see a plant listed as difficult to grow it usually just means that it has rather exact cultural needs vs the more common types that have been proven to be pretty tough plants. If you figure out what habitat and conditions a seemingly fussy plant comes from and you can at least try to reproduce those conditions then the chances of success are much greater. I learned this lesson long ago when learning to grow some of the more fussy African Angraecoid orchids. After I learned (from a very experienced Angraecoid grower) not to water much unless there was active root growth my plants did much better. It turns out that the habitats those plants come from are seasonally dry and that species with big thick roots were adapted for these dry environments while thin rooted species were moisture lovers. Hoyas can be looked at in the same way but it's the leaves that tell a story vs the roots. Thick succulent leaves are storage organs and they often occur in plants that can withstand some dryness. This is not a hard and fast rule though so a little investigation is needed before adjusting your plants culture.

Mike

• pirate_girl
    13 years ago

MeyerMike,

Pls. follow Mike's advise, they're not all that different to grow, if you post your pix here, I'd guess folks will try to help w/ the IDs.

It may not be realistic to ask for individual growing care, that's a bit of a tall order. Once you know what they are, am guessing most of the info can be found on here unless you're growing some really unusual, specialty or exotic Hoyas.

Am guessing keeping it simpler to start would be a good idea as well.

Psyc1210,

Welcome, growing Hoyas can be both great fun & somewhat addictive, hold onto your wallet!! ;>)

• mitzicos
    13 years ago

I need help. A friend of mine is asking me to buy hoya blashernaezzi, researching at google I didn't find anything about this specie/name.

Does anyone knows this specie? Thanks for any help.

• mitzicos
    13 years ago

Sorry I wrote the wrong name at my research! I found this specie. Just a doubt is it a thick succulent one or is a thin one?

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

Hoya blasnernazii should travel well because the leaves are quite hard when mature. I got my cutting from Australia and it made the trip just fine although it took almost a year to settle in and begin to grow. This one blooms quite early once it's happy and it's yellow flowers are just beautiful.

Mike

• psyc1210
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for all the info. Sorry it took me so long to finally get back on this forum to respond. I really appreciate the help.

I do grow quite a few orchids in my home. I'm just trying to still figure out the watering for the one I got from Home Depot. It is in an 8 inch hanging pot, and I can't tell what they potted it in...possibly peat moss with other things mixed in. Either way it seems very moisture retentive, and I haven't watered it at all yet. Afraid I will overwater it. It still feels moist at the top when I touch it. How dry should I allow that kind of media to get?

Sponsored