Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
klyde_gw

pruning linearis?

klyde
12 years ago

Happy New Year Hoyanista's! Hope you're all doing well.

I have a question about linearis. Would it respond to a good trim come March? I usually trim the heck out of my bella and lacunosa's in March, and boy do they come back in a big way. My linearis is looking a bit tatty all of a sudden. Mind you it has been blooming for about 2-3 months, and that must be a bit tiring I would think.

Thoughts, comments, suggestions?

Almost time to plan my seasonal roadtrip to visit you all. Who would like me to drop in for tea with them and their hoya's this time around? (Just kidding, but if I win 50 million, you had better believe I am gonna do it. Just nice to have a bit of fantasy during these short, dark, and dreary days...) There are a lot of hoya folk in between me and those fine hoya gals and lads that I have to check on in Florida!

Comments (9)

• geosdee
    12 years ago

You would be most welcome here anytime. Our temps here today are supposed to be in the low 70's. Loving this weather.

Dee

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

Kelly you can prune away as you would with those other monster sized Hoyas you grow. When my tiny little Hoya chinghungensis grows up I am sending you a cutting so that you can show me what it's supposed to look like.

It's six degrees above freezing here today. We really should have three feet of snow but our only real snowfall is all but melted in the warmth. I am drinking tea right now thinking I should probably get outside and enjoy the weather. This is the strangest (warmest) winter I have ever experienced.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Hoya chinghungensis on GrowingHoyas.com

• lightning96
    12 years ago

Mike, you are definitely right about this strange winter. Out here in west central Minnesota January usually means -15 or so (without wind chill). Plus a continuous snow pack from December through April. It was 60 degrees here the other day. 40s this weekend, and next week it'll reach 50. We've only had a dusting of snow once this winter and are now in a serious drought. It is not good!

• klyde
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Right, geosdee is on the list! 70's you say? Jeez I am craving the sun. PNW is dull, dreary with a low ceiling and heavy, heavy cloud cover.

Mike, I will do just that. Wasn't too sure, but linearis has been losing a few leaves on the area close to the soil. Just looks like it needs some stimulatory pruning, and I find early March is the time for that with the other two. Weird about your weather. I'm hearing the same thing from my brother in Edmonton. Not good, they (and you) need the snow. There are some bizarre things happening here as well. A Tupelo tree still has green leaves all over it by my house. Now that bad boy should have dropped its' leaves mid to late October for us. What the heck? We'll I'll scoop you up on my way by to visit geosdee. Fill up a thermos of that tea you got going...lol.

lightning96: I used to live in Winnipeg. Your weather would be somewhat comparable? Was never like that in the 4 years I lived there. Heck, one year I came home for Xmas and it was -45 with the windchill. Hmmmm (knitted brow).

Kelly in Victoria

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

Well Hi Folks,

May I join in? Sorry, no Linearis pointers to share. My small pot of it just plugs along.

It's coffee here for me, w/ unusually warm weather down here too. I'm in NYC & was riding my bicycle on a beach boardwalk nearby on New Year's Day when it would normally be btwn 20s-30s, was 50.

Yesterday was 57, on January 8th? Pretty strange? I'm watching the outdoor plants closely; I believe they're getting confused. I see neighbors' yards w/ the leaves of Spring bulbs like Daffodils & Crocuses starting to push up.

I've got a couple of H/ Pubicalyx types pushing out lots of new growth. Euphorbia miliis blooming too.

• klyde
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I adore coffee Pirate girl. Only one cup mind, the GERD starts to act up. We'll all swing by on the way to Florida. Grind the beans :)

Funny you should mention about the other plants. Some of mine, too, have not gone to 'sleep' this year.

• Laura_Carnosa
    12 years ago

Do come & visit soon, dear Klyde.
    It's been loverly here. Have not had to plug in the car, not once yet.
    Were you living here (Wpg) in December 1996? It's just like that winter, again.
    Warm with very little snow.

No advice re: linearis, other than save some cuts for me.
    Nice to see you out...

Your Friend,
    LC

• klyde
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Laura: You are on the planned route now for sure. Just put you on. Sadly I was not in The Peg in '96, but if you were hanging around the U of M in '89 thru '93, then I was the stick with long dark hair, knicking orchid keiki's from the Agriculture Departments Greenhouse. Oh dear, was that my outside voice again? Gotta watch that. Sigh, good times...

Anyway, I am on my way. Let's go to that little place in Osborne Village that serves gingergread and tea in silver teapots...oooh, and coffee at The Forks Market. Just one cup mind you. And then we will need to drop around the U of M. I'll bring my really big purse and a pair of scissors...LOL

I will need to see your hoya's of course, so I can gush. Pack your bag, cuz we'll be moving on after the above. Lotta miles to cover before Florida and the lads and ladies there.

Kelly in Victoria

• Laura_Carnosa
    12 years ago

Oh my, Klyde!
    I was a chubby 9 y/o in 1989 and in 1993 I was in seventh grade so I wasn't hanging out @ the UofM then, not even to play in V-ball tourneys!!
    Lol! Kelly the Orchid Thief! Now that's something! lol.
    Have u seen the movie "Adaptation"?

I stole books from the school library...What kind of rebel nerd steals library books? Perhaps the same type that knicks orchid babies? ROFLMAO

I must get out to Victoria. Maybe go winter once with my retired parents? I love all your travelling posts about your "visits" you make along the way... I realize Wpg is out of the way to go to Florida, but I'll make it worth your while! I'll go pack.

Sponsored