Return to the Hoya Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Nice cheap pots from Home Depot (USA)

Posted by BoulderGrower 4-5 (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 28, 14 at 15:28

I was browsing Home Depot's pots and found a box labeled Pennington Vertical Garden Kit. I sealed the drain holes with a metal disk and RTV bathtub caulk and put about an inch of gravel in the bottom. Top to bottom: h. Curtisii, obovata, and pubicalyx are 4 x 4 x 5 inch deep square plastic pots that just fit. Curtisii seems to be growing away from the light.

I have only had them since late November last year and they are all growing faster than I expected.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Nice cheap pots from Home Depot (USA)

They look great!!! Especially the curtisii, which is see is growing away from the window. Not sure it wants direct light like that, maybe too strong for it. But what a handsome arrangement, thanks for showing us!

o

Oh I have to agree those are darling! I love to have my Hoyas hanging and that is a great set up!

o

Here is an update on the pots. More have been purchased and they have been rearranged. The photo shows two separate hanging pot sets that have been merged because I can't figure out how to post multiple photos.

The hoyas are doing well but may end up bigger than I expected.

o

I've seen these and they are a very nice way to display smaller Hoyas, plus the fact that you're getting 3 vertically into the same space you would normally get one appeals to those of us with serious space constraints! I may have to get some myself...

The obovata and the pubicalyx will QUICKLY outgrow those small pots, but they look great in the meantime. I can think of loads of species that would be long-time residents of those pots. Lacunosa, hueschkeliana, DS-70, dicksoniana, krohniana, retusa, tsangii, engleriana, kanyakumariana, and a few for quite awhile if you get them as cuttings, like camphorfolia, cagayensis, micrantha, sigillatis, obscura, wayetti, just off the top of my head. I can see them all lined up, hanging from my curtain rods, in front of my windows. Curtains - I don't need no stinkin' curtains! I have a wall of plants!

Denise in Omaha

o

Ha ha Denise! I chuckled at your curtain comment! My husband mentioned putting up thicker curtains one winter. I only currently have sheers! I told him "now how would my plants get light?". He commented " yes we have to accommodate the plants, NOT him!". I agree with you completely!

o

They look very nice.

I've also tried to find different things to "decorate" with my Hoyas. Found some interesting things at goodwill a couple weeks ago.

Renee

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hoya Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here