Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maggnome

Just starting to grow a hoya

maggnome
12 years ago

Hello everyone! My name is Jacob and I am something of a developing Horticulturist/plant enthusiast. I've been slowly building up my own little indoor garden in my bedroom, and I recently acquired an unknown hoya from a local nursery. I took a few pictures of the plant to share with you, and I have a few questions:

1. Can anyone help me identify which hoya this is? Unfortunately the nursery did not do a good job of labeling it.

2. Does the pot size look okay? I think it's probably a little large, but it's the smallest pot I had that wasn't far too tiny. Hopefully the hoya will "grow into it", so to speak.

3. Does it look like it's getting enough light? I've read a few sources that said hoyas don't generally fair well in direct sunlight, so I put it next to the window rather than in front of it. It seems to be doing alright.

The leaves seem very firm (they don't bend easily), but I'm assuming this is normal? They haven't dried up or anything, and the stem/vine is budding, so I think it's doing well. Any other tips or advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Comments (16)

• Aggie2
    12 years ago

Hi Jacob,
    It's Hoya carnosa possible var. compacta. Leaves are stiff and will break if you try to unbend them. Usually you can keep hoya in the same pot for quiet long time. If new pot is much bigger that one plant was in it may be too big. Hoyas like to be root bound, and I killed my 5 years old carnosa compacta with 6-8 feet long stems by re potting from 8 to 12 in basket. Soil wasn't drying fast enough and whole plant died... Make sure that it's dry before watering again.

Good luck, Aggie

• maggnome
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the advice! The pot it came in was around half the size of the one it's in now. I have a few smaller pots, but they are so small that they couldn't really fit the root ball. Hopefully this one will work out.

I also really appreciate the ID. Now I can read up on this particular species. Thanks!

• tammypie
    12 years ago

I once had this hoya and it did absolutely NOTHING as far as growing. I wound up giving it to my SIL years ago. She no longer has it.

• maggnome
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yikes! Well hopefully mine will have better luck than yours. It seems to be slowly growing some new leaves. Certainly a slow grower compared to many of my other plants, but at least it's alive!

• teisa
    12 years ago

Hi! I personally love this plant. I have several in the all green variety. I have found that the variegated ( like yours) does grow much slower. But they are beautiful!
    Just be careful like others said about over watering and they do like indirect light as much as possible. Keep an eye out on this variety for mealie bugs. If you see presence of white bugs crawling, quickly ask for assistance on how to treat! Hope this helps.

Teisa

• maggnome
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the advice, teisa! I've been very careful not to over-water the plant. In fact I've only watered it a few times since I got it, and I allow it to dry out completely before giving it another drink. I do think that the pot I put it in is a little too larger, but hopefully it will grow into it. It hasn't shown many signs of new growth yet, but it does have some leaves that seem to be slowly getting larger. As far as light goes, I have it near, but not in front of, a large window, so I think it gets just the right amount of sun. I'll keep all of you updated on its progress.

Thanks again!

-Jacob

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

Hi MagGnome. Welcome to Hoyas. The correct name for this Hoya cultivar is Hoya compacta 'Regalis' To quote CB:
    The sad part is that the variegated compactas have names. They are cultivars. If the variegation is "green leaves/white borders," then what it is, is Hoya compacta cv. Regalis. If the variegation is "green leaf borders/ white, cream and/or yellow in the center, what it is, is Hoya compacta cv. Mauna Loa. The latter also was cursed with a "Trademark name," which is cv. Lura Lei
    Source

They really are difficult to repot out of those EA baskets, even if the pot is disproportionate to the current size of the plant. And it's too bad because compacta grows relatively slowly, at least in the midwest (lol). I suspect the trick to growing compacta is to water it fairly frequently but give it super good drainage. You might want to consider putting something to aid drainage in the bottom of your pot if you can. Give it some good strong light. The green is usually almost the shade of peas when it's strong enough to bloom. Yours looks healthy right now for sure.

• scsva
    12 years ago

I have all the compactas and the one with the white edges is the slowest grower for me. The Mauna Loa (I guess that is the correct name) has grown like a weed. For all my exotic angel plants, I water from the bottom (something I have begun in the last year). My hoyas seem much happier.

Susan

• maggnome
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, greedyghost and scsva! I really appreciate your help. I will try to keep it a little more moist from now on, as I had been letting it dry out between waterings.

Also, the ends of both vines are brown, shriveled, and hard as rocks. Should I trim off the ends to encourage growth?

• Lamora
    12 years ago

I just got mine last week too!! :) first one for me. Mine is straight up tho,(small.. like yours) was wondering when it will start to trail "down"? Not that i don't like it the way it is.. I was just wondering is all.. Plus the soil is still wet from the repotting I did a few days ago. How long should it take to dry out? (I used MC-all purpose soil, is that ok?)

Hope it is ok to use this thread for "my" questions as well. If not-- I apologize for my rudeness-- :)

• maggnome
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Lamora,

Feel free to ask your questions in this thread as well. I certainly don't mind. I've been letting mine dry out completely between waterings, but I'm not sure if that's the best method. It's certainly still alive, but it hasn't grown much, if at all, since I got it.

-Jacob

• Lamora
    12 years ago

Jacob...Thanks :) I'm actually having fun learning all this. Sooooo much to learn!!! lol.

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

As for how long it should take to dry out between waterings, it really depends on your individual conditions - your home, the medium, etc. This time of year I usually water my Hoyas around once a week, the thirstier ones twice a week. You need to find your own pace, though. As Mike suggested, get a feel for the weight of your pot when it is wet/dry. If you pick it up whenever you water you will gradually become skilled at making this call. In the meantime, stick your finger down a couple inches into the soil and water when it feels dry. Or do as Josh suggests and stick a wooden chopstick or kabob spear in there, like you were checking a cake to see if it was done. You don't want to keep it wet all the time; what you're really aiming for is that you don't leave it sitting bone dry.

It is true that MG soil is not a good choice for Hoyas, which prefer a medium with better aeration. You have to imagine that in the wild most of them are epiphytic, growing out of the Ys of trees or on fallen logs, so their roots like to breathe, not be under a heavy compact blanket of soil. So it's a good idea to cut peat-based soil, like MG, with orchid mix and perlite, for example. There is no universal SUPREME HOYA MIX, and everyone has their own strategy, but the idea is to concoct something that provides fast drainage and airiness.

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

Oh, and it will start cascading downward when the vine gets longer. They grow upward initially, and then bow under their own weight.

• Lamora
    12 years ago

Greedyghost- thanks for the info on the soil. Will get some better soil for it. It is very humid here. (WA state)so it seems to take a while for plants to dry out. (or anything else for that matter)

silly question?? what is the medium? I thought I knew, but now Im not too sure. :/

But this is a learning exp for me and I am learning!!

• maggnome
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, greedyghost! You're very helpful.

Lamora - The "medium" refers to the soil that your plant is growing in.

-Jacob

Sponsored