Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenman28

Three Hoyas for ID (pics)

Hi, all! (Pug, Toni, Pirate Girl, Denise, Norma...!)

Thought I'd broaden my horizons and wander over from the Cacti & Succulents Forum...

Perhaps you know these varieties? I apologize for the photos....not the best, but I hope they'll suffice. No blooms at the moment (so that may make IDing tough). I'll photo the blooms as they appear, of course. The flowers do have a strong scent, almost give me a headache if I sit too close to them at night.

Anyhow, I refer to them as short leaf, round leaf, and long leaf. If you have a specific pic request from some unique close-up or angle, let me know!

Thanks!

Josh

Short:

{{gwi:69232}}

Round:

{{gwi:69233}}

Long:

{{gwi:69234}}

Comments (57)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey, thanks for the ID's and the confirmations!

I will be sure to post pics as the flowers appear.

Denise,
    I think you're right, now that I've looked at images of H. diptera and H. vanuatuensis....I'd say it's one of those ;)

Toni,
    these hanging hoyas really add a lot to a room, I think. It is wonderful to have them inside and blooming. During the summer, I hang them outside in a maple tree, which itself hangs over the front deck - so I can sit and relax among all the greenery.

Pirate Girl,
    you're memory serves you right! ;)
    Good ol' Grandpa Ted the adventurer! He passed the love of plants to my father, and my father passed it to me. Although, I think all three of us would prefer to spend time with our plants alone, or in smaller company.

(Side note: I know that there are many folks who take issue with Ted Green's plant ID's, et cetera, but I hope they won't take it out on me!!! ha!)

Again, thanks for the help. I'll resurrect this Thread with blooms...when the time comes....

Josh

• green971
    15 years ago

Hi Josh. I think that based on your description of the short leafed hoya having creamy, white flowers, it is probably Hoya annulata. Hoya diptera has yellow flowers.

I would agree with the obovata, and the pubicalyx though.

Sara

Original Author
    15 years ago

My father actually collected the original short-leaf Hoya (first pics) on the island of Vanuatu. He hacked it out of a big banyan tree. The Hoya in the pictures above is a cutting from that original specimen.

When it blooms, we'll know for sure!

Josh

• nanw_4wi
    15 years ago

Did your Father collect the specimen with your Grandfather?
    I would think your Grandfather would know the species?

Interesting history!
    Nice plants, too.

Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi, Nan!
    Yes, my father collected the original on Vanuatu with my grandfather (they hiked throughout Guinea, Solomon Islands). I think my father was twenty-six at the time...so that was about twenty-two years ago.

Josh

• pirate_girl
    15 years ago

So Josh,

I didn't know your Dad is/was a Hoya guy too, what's his name?

So come on now, haven't you got some inter-generational Hoya secrets to share w/ us, your loyal Hoya minions???

Original Author
    15 years ago

No, my Dad isn't a Hoya guy.
    He just couldn't pass up a trip to New Guinea at the time! My Dad's into gardening and yardscaping primarily.

Alas, I don't have any Hoya secrets to share! I wish I did. All I know is that we (Grandpa, Dad, and myself) grow Hoyas in bark. My Dad taught me to root Hoyas with both ends of the cutting in the mix, forming a sort of "arch."

Josh

Original Author
    15 years ago

Short leaf Hoya is blooming now...
    and here are the promised pics! So, H. vanuatuensis?

Josh

• pirate_girl
    15 years ago

May I just say BEAU-TI-FUL???????? I don't recall ever seeing yellow Hoya blooms before, how very pretty & exciting -- good growing there!! Also sort of double bloomed too, huh, w/ that inner cluster of buds developing while the outer ones are blooming!!!

• Denise
    15 years ago

How exciting, Josh!! They are pretty. Now I know what I have to look forward to. And yes, according to what I've read, vanuatuensis has solid yellow flowers whereas diptera's are yellow with a red corona. My vanuatuensis is small - got it as a cutting about a year ago, but it has grown like a weed. Maybe I'll get flowers before it gets as big as yours!

Denise in Omaha

• o7sugar
    15 years ago

Hi Josh!! Welcome to the hoya side of the forum !!! hu umm.. excuse me for being 3 months late on the intro :)
    Congrats on the official id of your hoya!! I absolutely love how huge they are!!! Vanuatuensis is beautiful!! Great shots!! I have diptera but I think I still have a long way before it blooms. All I do know is that I'm probably going to end up with tons and tons of blooms all at the same time because there all currently the same age pretty much!!! Hoya heaven here I come!!!!! Can't wait to see more pics when they come!
    -Nicole-

• mdahms1979
    15 years ago

Those are some gorgeous Hoya flowers, translucent in the sun almost like frosted glass. Great plant!

Mike

• puglvr1
    15 years ago

Josh, I absolutely LOVE those yellow flowers!! I must say that is one color that is so unusual, I've not seen many yellow blooms on hoyas(never in person) and rarely in pictures...thanks for sharing with us!!

Very pretty!!

• ines_99
    15 years ago

Hi Josh
    Beautiful plants! I am interested in what you said about growing in bark - what kind of bark? Any specific brand or source? Is it truly ONLY bark, with nothing else mixed in? I have a few hoyas growing in bark or mostly bark and they are pretty happy - and I have yet to lose one to root rot that is growing that way. And what about fertilizing? I would think it would be a necessity when growing in only bark.

I am also curious about the "arch" method of rooting, and wonder what the benefits would be. I will have to try that for sure this summer.

Original Author
    13 years ago

Good morning!
    I'm sorry I never responded to Ines' question about growing in Bark. I use Orchid Bark,
    which I sometimes modify with Perlite and a handful of potting soil - in the past, I've used
    African Violet soil...because I had it on hand. However, I want to re-iterate that the potting
    soil is not necessary. In fact, if you live in a climate where root-rot is an issue, I would advise
    you to eliminate the bagged potting soil entirely. Pure bark, with occasional fertilizing,
    will support large, beautiful Hoyas. Fertilize lightly.

On to the business at hand!
    I thought I'd share a quick pic of my Pubicalyx, as well as a bloom opening on my Obovata.
    My H. vanuatuensis is outdoors in a bad spot for pictures...I'll update when I can.

Josh

• tigerdawn
    13 years ago

What is the plant in the back right of the pubycalyx picture? I love the Monstera too, btw. Mine has entered a growth spurt and I am so excited!

I am jealous of your huge plants! How old are they?

• birdsnblooms
    13 years ago

Hey Josh..long time no talk..How ya doing?
    Your Pub is doing great..does it get much light?
    What's the plant to the right, some type of Caudex? On a table.

I understand when you say Hoyas/plants should be planted in bark, 'especially for those who have a tendency to overwater,' lol. But it would work for people who have time to water and fertilize. W/O soil, 'at least in my opinion,' there isn't any nutrients. Similar to very old soil. If I started using bark instead of soil, I'd be watering 365 days per year. lol.
    All in all, using bark is fine, but a handful of soil adds nutrients. Just my opinion..lol.

Hope you're well. How are your sux doing? It's been a long time since I've been to GW...haven't been to the other or any other forum/s. Take care, Toni

Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Tigerdawn!
    That plant to the right is Polyscias balfouriana - Aralia balfouriana, aka 'Dinner Plate' Aralia.
    It was a gift from my brother...he loves to buy me huge, unweildy plants that take up tons of room! ;)
    (My recently re-potted Pachira to the left, above the Monstera...both are growing wild).

All of the Hoyas are old...the Pubicalyx and Obovata have been a part of the Green family for 15+ years...
    and that Vanuatuensis has got to be over 30 years old!!! It is only through constant pruning that they are kept as
    small as they are. Vines are pushed back into the pot to re-root, further increasing the fullness of these pots.
    The Bark is changed every couple of years.

Josh

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

NICE Josh! The Hoyas and plants in the background are looking great! Love the blooms, can't wait to see a pic of your H. vanuatuensis.

Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Nancy!
    I have an old bloom pic (from last month), as well as two pics from this afternoon.
    Note the aphid in the bloom pic....this plant was plagued by aphids over the winter...!

Hanging from a maple, putting out masses of growth!

Handfuls and handfuls of new growth...and peduncles galore!

Josh

• wrynsmom
    13 years ago

Josh, your hoyas are just beautiful! Thank you, so much, for sharing.

Carolyn

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

LOVE those yellow blooms Josh, thanks for the picture! Your hoya is absolutely huge,healthy and beautiful :o)

Original Author
    13 years ago

Hello, Hoya growers!

It's nearing that time again...time to bring the Hoya in.
    I've brought the Hoya from around front (where it luxuriated in the shade of a maple all summer)
    to the back deck under a patio umbrella for a day or two of quarantine and clean-up.
    Having hung from a sugar maple, it's positively covered in Aphids and old Aphid husks.
    A deep treatment will be in order!

And, not to toot my own horn, but look at that nicely sanded and re-stained deck! ;)

Distance shot:

A little closer:

Handfuls of new growth:

Josh

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

Hey Josh, your hoya sure seem to like its summer vacation outside :o) What a beautiful and huge Hoya... looks Great! Sorry about the aphids, but your treatment should take of it.

BTW, Love the deck...NICE job! Thanks for the pictures!

• jlt37869
    13 years ago

Hi Josh,

Nice update ,,, your vanu is beautiful. I received a diptera cutting this past spring and I've been debating how to grow it (hanging pot or what). So it's really helpful to see how others grow their plants.

Your deck looks great!! You know, it'd look even better without all the leaves ,,, hahaha (only teasing ,,, your yard looks beautiful with all the trees)!! I recently sanded and re-sealed my deck too ,,, don't you just love that "new" deck feeling!?

Have a great weekend.

Jennifer

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

Josh your Hoya looks happy, huge and from the looks of it heavy as well. Is this one in mostly bark as well?

Jennifer I have my small Hoya diptera sitting on a shelf and for the most part it hangs but the new growth really seems to want to grab hold of something and climb. I have been reluctant to grow it on a trellis because the MyHoyas site mentions that the flowers are easily hidden in the foliage when grown that way. I wonder if a combination of the two methods would work, maybe long metal pot hangers for some climbing stems and then the rest hanging.

Mike

Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Nancy!
    Next year, I might treat the Obovata to a summer vacation!
    I wish I had trees to hang them all in the shade. I'll wait to treat the Aphids until
    most of the frogs have left the container.

Thanks, Jennifer! Do you have pics of your Hoya posted? I'd love to view them.
    As for the deck...no sooner do I sweep, but the leaves have returned again! Ha!
    The new coat of stain makes the surface easier to clean, however...the leaves just
    slide right over the edge into the yard. The cats are happy to have their deck back, too... ;)

Hey, Mike! Thanks!
    It is pretty heavy, but not terribly so. It's awkward to carry, with all those vines,
    more than anything. Yes, this one is in nearly pure bark...although I can see that
    a lot of the bark has broken down to bark dust. The bark mix helps keep the overall weight
    of the container down.

Josh

• jlt37869
    13 years ago

Okay, Josh. Ask, and you shall receive ,,, here's my lil' ole diptera. Just curious, how do you water your vanu (and other large hanging plants) when they're back in the house? Doesn't the water just run thru the bark?

Mike - same deal with mine ,,, that vine initially grew up, but now just hangs down. I'm really glad I got this one ,,, I love the color of its glossy, "winged" leaves.

Jennifer

Original Author
    13 years ago

Good morning, Jennifer!
    I'm sorry that I missed your post.
    (I don't receive the automatic e-mail replies from GardenWeb, so I occasionally miss a response).

To answer your question: My Hoya containers have a built in tray that catches water.

I hope you're still around. Your Hoya looks fantastic.

Josh

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

Josh:

Your Hoya's are AMAZING plus AMAZING!

I need a few of these now..lol
    Or maybe I should up and leave this area and move into my house in the Carribean..Lot's of room there for all my plants plus more.

Mike

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

Okay...I have a question, Please? Are H. vanuatuensis and H. diptera the same hoya but has two different names? By the looks of Jennifer's plants they look very similar or identical to H. vanu? I know pictures aren't always the best methods for comparing...are they one and the same or are they two completely different hoyas? Just wondering...Thanks for any info.

Jennifer your Diptera is VERY nice and healthy too!

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

They are considered two distinct species although they do closely resemble each other. Hoya vanuatuensis is named after the island of Vanuatu where it was found. Vanuatau (Van-a -wa-to) is part of Melanesia and is North East of Australia.
    Hoya diptera is from Fiji which is yet farther East from Vanuatu.
    Hoyas like these make you wonder if they are from a common ancestor, just the same species that was separated for thousands of years or if they just both just happen to resemble each other to attract a similar pollinator?
    There are a bunch of white/pale pink flowered species from this group that closely resemble each other as well.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:929368}}

Original Author
    13 years ago

Hey, Nancy! Mike's correct.

This particular specimen was chopped from a giant banyan tree on Vanuatu.
    Though the banyan has since died, the Hoya lives on!

Josh

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

Thanks for info Mike and Josh!!

Josh...I love that story and remember it well. I have this wonderful vision of how your Hoya was discovered...very cool!

I just LOVE those yellow blooms! So, so beautiful!

• yaslan
    13 years ago

Hello Everyone - I've decided to make the jump over here as well and what a special treat!!

Josh - that yellow on your H. Vanuatuensis is absolutely magical! Thanks for sharing and what a great & endearing story behind it. ( :

-Bo

• greedygh0st
    13 years ago

lol... grows lychee and cherimoya. That'll teach me to curiously check out a GW member profile.

And here it's my ambition just to get to taste a cherimoya. so. jealous. ._.;

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

Welcome Bo!

GG, yes...Bo normally hangs out with us on C&S and Tropical Fruits forum...we grow Mango and Citrus trees as well...the addiction just never ends :o)

• greedygh0st
    13 years ago

Oh I see how it is. I am surrounded by delicious tropical fruit growers. If you only knew how much I spent on mangoes a year, darn you! v_v;

^_~

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

Josh, I hope you don't mind...I must post a picture for GG,lol...I Love Mangoes too! I have 6 planted in the ground and 2 in Containers. Its a lot of work protecting them from freeze and I've lost a couple last winter :o(

Here is a link that might be useful:

• yaslan
    13 years ago

Hi Pug! Nice to see you on the other side lol. Yes, this is true, the addiction never ends! And what fun it is and so much to learn. ( :

GG - LOL cherimoya season is almost here, so if you want a few tasty ones then you must try Cherimoya They'll be available in two weeks! Also, maybe you need a few tropical fruit trees yourself lol

-Bo

• mitzicos
    13 years ago

@puglvr1

Nice mango tree! We have many types of mangos, they are not expensive, as they grow easily here, and Cherimoya which we call atemoya is also an easy growing here, but it is a bit expensive. I love it.
    Does anyone knows this fruit JABUTICABA

Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, good morning!

It looks as though I have some catching up to do! ;)

Nancy, I don't mind seeing your excellent fruit trees at all! Always so well grown!

Bo, it is great to see you over here in the Jungle....!
    The story behind this Hoya is remarkable, even moreso that my dad climbed the banyan and cut it
    from the tree with his own hands (and machete, of course!).

Greedy, you've got to be careful around these ladies...they'll have you lusting
    after one of everything! I took the citrus "plunge" this Spring, after visiting the Citrus Forum
    and talking with Meyer Mike and Nancy in particular.

Mitzicos, I'd never heard of the tree you mentioned, but I included a quick link for everyone.
    The fruit is unique, and it sounds delicious for the tarts and liquers in which it is used.

Josh

Here is a link that might be useful: Jabuticaba ~ Brazilian Grape Tree

• lightning96
    13 years ago

Speaking of mangoes, I grew a couple from seed last year but lost them during the summer when I neglected them to my vegetable gardening :(

My spouse is from Kerala, India. Apparently in kerala you drop a mango seed in the ground and it sprouts like a weed. Mango trees are all over.

But I also wanted to post a pic of my baby H. diptera to this thread mainly to see if I know how to realy post pics here on GW, I've never done it before. Let me see if it works:

it looks like it worked! or are these pics too small? am i doing something wrong?

I've heard others say H. diptera is more 'plain' or boring than other hoyas but it was the first one to really flourish for me. I only got this plant from Joni in April 2010 and it's grown a lot since then.

Original Author
    13 years ago

Pics are too small...! But I like large pics ;)

I was just reading up on Kerala, India, two weeks ago.
    An amazing State, boasting some of the highest literacy anywhere in the world!

Josh

• lightning96
    13 years ago

How to make the pics bigger? I've no idea, I just cut and pasted the URL.

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

Yes Pug....Your trees are amazing!!!

Josh...Sorry I am a bad influence on you...lol

Hi everyone....Good to see you all.Hi Bo

• greedygh0st
    13 years ago

Pug- What a gorgeous tree! Thanks so much for sharing!! Look at all those mangoes. Now, are those the kind that get really big or the little yellow kind?

Bo- Unfortunately, I live in an apartment annnnnnd in Nebraska, so aside from dwarf citrus that can be grown indoors, there's a limit to how much I can enjoy such a crazily rewarding addiction. I'm stuck on the cherimoya bit, too. It goes without saying that we never see them in even produce-friendly stores around here. I've frequently thought about biting the bullet and just having one shipped to me. My sister is LA for work most weeks, so I've been trying to get her to bring me back one. I'll have to tell her that cherimoya season is nigh and hinthint about Christmas presents.

Mitzicos- Neat plant!! It looks like something someone made up for a video game world. I think I'd fall over laughing if I saw one of those in real life and I wasn't expecting it. Apparently you can bonsai it as a houseplant, so maybe that should be the new playmate of my lemon tree.

Beth- When you copy the html code from your host site, usually somewhere in there you can see where it specifies the height and width of the picture. You can manually edit the code and double or triple these dimensions, before pasting it here.

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Ok Josh..I was reading this thread and I hope no one minds if I bring it up again and ask for an update on these plants!

By the way, what is your method for ridding Aphids for those here curious...These are amazing plants pal and I hope they are all doing good still! Such beautiful yellow flowers!

Imagine that..Yet another fall to bring them inside..lol

Mike

Original Author
    10 years ago

Hello, Mike!
    Yessir, the Hoyas are all doing well. When the aphids hit, I take them outside on a warmish winter day, and hose them off. Occasionally I'll hit 'em with Neem. Here's a crappy picture of the big three in the living room. I chopped the lower two feet off of the H. vanuatuensis (center), and about six feet of heavy vines from the H. obovata (right). The H. obovata spent the summer outdoors and put on the most growth.

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Well Sir!!! GOOD WORK AND THANK YOU!

They love those spots in seems..Lot's of sunlight yet no direct sun...I love it..And then,,,,,
    I can't believe you cut that much off pal!!! Wowow..I would of been a bit more reserved....Maybe an inch or two..

I guess that what explains the awesome shape they are in..

Looking good..You are a good mentor for me on these plants!

Mike

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County