Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kevin8307

help with hindu rope

kevin8307
11 years ago

Hello. I've had both the variegated and regular hindu rope for a couple months now. They seemed to be growing/surviving just fine. Then, I went to visit my family for a week, and came back and the variegated rope is all wrinkly. I have tried to water more, thinking it wanted more water (since the air is so dry in the building they dry out fairly fast), and have even tried the hydrogen peroxide/water in case it was a mold or something. It is still wrinkly, but the regular rope is doing just fine. I know the variegated has a shallower root system, but that shouldn't really matter for this would it? The two ropes are in the same pot with three varieties of Jades. I will include another picture of the pot.

How can I fix this?

Comments (12)

• kevin8307
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is the pot that the 5 plants are in. I've just noticed the first leaf fall of the wrinkled rope. I hope I can save this.

• mrlike2u
    11 years ago

The pot is busy and crowded with conflicting hoyas
    The three Crassula should do okay for a year or two as they are but the two cuts from the Hoya would do better in there own pot perhaps an airy bark mix. Suggest you look at while out and let them root better by re-pot in a hanging three inch allowing both rope cuts to get better established

• teisa
    11 years ago

Hi! Welcome to the Hoya Forum. I grow several Hoya Ropes myself. Like the last post suggested they grow best in a small pot with loose soil. I use potting soil and orchid mix 1:1 ratio. Keep them a little on the moist side but not wet! Even putting a bag over them once they are repotted to give extra humidity may help. Hope this helps and I'm sure others will add more advice. But I wanted to try to help before you lose your plant.

• teisa
    11 years ago

Hi! Welcome to the Hoya Forum. I grow several Hoya Ropes myself. Like the last post suggested they grow best in a small pot with loose soil. I use potting soil and orchid mix 1:1 ratio. Keep them a little on the moist side but not wet! Even putting a bag over them once they are repotted to give extra humidity may help. Hope this helps and I'm sure others will add more advice. But I wanted to try to help before you lose your plant.

• kevin8307
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have repotted the hindu ropes into individual 4" pots, with mixed orchid potting mix and cactus/succulent potting mix. It drains quickly. I am trying to keep the soil moist. We'll see if this helps. It's been a couple days, and no change so far, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

Something tells me that branch is just not taking up water. I would have re-cut the bottom of that stem before putting in into mix. Maybe even soaked it in water first.

• greedygh0st
    11 years ago

You might try taking a cutting and sticking it in the medium next to the main plant. It looks pretty far gone, but you never know.

I definitely think you did a great repotting job, I'm just worried the root system is damaged, and sometimes letting it just start over is best.

Good luck - I feel your pain. I have a plant that looks like this right now too.

• kevin8307
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Pirate girl, if I were to cut the bottom, do I just trim off the roots, or re-cut the entire bottom off (roots and all to get a raw bottom stump)? If I do that, I do just stick the "raw" end back in the soil? Or can I try to grown in a bottle of water a couple days? Your thoughts would be appreciated.

• teisa
    11 years ago

Let me help in case someone doesn't respond in time. Your cut looks pretty wilted so it may be best to soak the entire cutting in a bowl of water. I would use bottled water and do this for at least 24 hours. This will give enough time for others to respond how to repot it up.

• kevin8307
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, putting it in water didn't help. After looking at the root system and the initial cut, it appears that the end was completely dead. I was able to break of two pieces (a long shoot, and a shorter shoot) and the insides were still green. I am going to let them soak in water to see if that will help the leaves. If that works, I will plant the two pieces and see what I get.

Thanks for the help,
    K

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Kevin, that dinosaur with the plant in the back is quite cute.

Good luck with your cutting.

MIke

• kevin8307
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Mike, I have three dinosaur "planters" going at the moment. They were purchases in the dollar bin at Target, and I just cut holes in them for the plant, and for drainage. Kinda cool.

I'm hoping the hindu rope isn't too far gone, we'll wait and see. I have the cuttings in water hoping to plump them up a bit. I put them in the water yesterday, and no real change so far.

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County
More Discussions