Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kellyknits

Hoya lobbii buds

kellyknits
13 years ago

Woo Hoo! Very excited - discovered buds on Hoya lobbii! Got this the summer of 2008 or 2007 and have restarted it twice and it's now about 3 feet tall! Have thought about cutting it up since it's a single stock, but am glad now that I haven't yet. It developed a peduncle probably about 2 years ago, but never even budded. This is a brand new peduncle at the top of the plant (the other peduncle is still doing NOTHING!)! Have no idea what color it will be, but am hoping for the pink/black combo!

Comments (31)

• pirate_girl
    13 years ago

Hi Kelly,

How exciting for you -- finger crossed! Looks kinda cool just like that.

• Denise
    13 years ago

Oh, Kelly, I'm so exccited for you! I got my lobbii as a DL cutting this last summer. It rooted, it's awsome, it's starting to grow, but I'm a LONG way from flowers. Please post back when they open. Woo-hoo for you-hoo!

Denise in Omaha

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

Congrats on the buds! I just got a cutting of this one in the fall and I am hoping for the dark flowers as well. If this Hoya grows well for me I might get another colour form because I love its growth habit.

Mike

• kellyknits
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks!

I have 3 lobbii's now - don't know the color of any of them. I, too, love the growth habit...that said...do I let this keep growing straight up after it blooms or cut it up? Measured it today and it's 44" tall and will soon outgrow the window it's in....

Here's another picture of buds...I swear they're noticably bigger than yesterday!

One of the other lobbii's I have grew well last year as well and grew several peduncles which have never developed buds. Wonder why that happens? Have an australis sanae that has had a peduncle since last summer as well...

Thanks for sharing in my excitement!

Kelly

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

This is a Hoya that likes cooler conditions so bud development migh be linked to temperature. I know all the other Hoyas with this growth habit are cool to cold growers with one even able to take frost.
    I am going to grow my plant on an upper shelf and allow it to hang down naturally. Your plant looks a bit like Jack's beenstock reaching for the sky and it has me a little bit worried about the space this one requires. I would think you could trim your plant at any time because this is to the best of my knoledge species that drops its peduncles and always flowers at the apex of the growth.

Do you find your different Hoya lobbii plants to all look the same or are there slight differences?

Mike

• kellyknits
    Original Author
    13 years ago

With the drapes closed on the window it probably gets down to about 65F. I was thinking this was a cool species. Was surprised to see on Joni's site that it recommends not letting lobbii go below 55F.

This one is on the enclosed porch (brought it in for the picture) where the temps are about 57-63F and it's continued to grow and has peduncles that have yet to produce buds. Had this one outside from May until October of this past year and it probably tripled in size - still growing now on the porch!

This is a cutting I got this past fall. Just took it out of the rooting tank a couple of weeks ago...I left stuff in there TOO long...

I really don't see a difference in them - except maybe a slight different in leaf size. I once asked David Liddle about the different color lobbii's and he seemed to think there are only a few (maybe 2) varieties and the color is dependent on the environment. Watch all three of mine be the same color!

Thinking I'm not going to have a choice but to cut lobbii up after it blooms!

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

I guess intermediate grower would be a better description. Warm growers are good down to 65F, intermediate to about 55F or 50F but these are always just nighttime lows and daytime temps should to climb back up into the 70's. Is your porch only up into the mid 60's during the day?

There are Hoyas that closely resemble Hoya lobbii but that are found farther East then Hoya lobbii's range. Hoya lazaroi was named by Dale Kloppenburg and Dr. Simeona Siar in 2006 and 2007. I cut and pasted the description of this species below.

Hoya lazaroi named after the current Philippine Orchid Society president Mr. Carlos Valeriano C. Lazaro who is also an avid hoya and plant collector . The current poster of the Flora Filipina 2009 will feature this slow growing hoya ! So get you collectible Flora Filipina 2009 poster !
    This is a terrestrial hoya (slow grower) yellow orange corolla with dark red corona 8 -12 flowers per umbel . Collected in the Laguna, Quezon area . Plant habit is similar to Hoya multiflora except the leaves is different.

Taxonomy is a tricky business and not everyone involved always agrees so these plants will probably be sold under the name of Hoya lobbii but collection data will help ID in case you want to go with the currently proposed/published name for these Hoyas.

I love the look of your hanging Hoya lobbii.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Hoya lazaroi on the Apodagis site

• kellyknits
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh, I love the Apodagis site! Hmmm...should I wait until it flowers to see which it most closely resembles? Interesting that their "Black" lobbii looks NOTHING like some of the other pictures I've seen of black lobbii - where the corona is such a deep, deep purple/plum that it almost appears black.

Right now with the outside temps barely getting above freezing during the day, 63F is about the warmest the porch gets unless I turn on the 2nd wall heater (weak central heating, plus 2 wall heaters on the porch. The wall heaters really blow out some air, so it feels oddly much warmer to me than the 57-63F.

Thanks for the info on Hoya lazaroi!

Kelly

• cpawl
    13 years ago

Kelly I really hope to see your photos of the flowers when it opens.I have been planing on getting this hoya this year.
    Good work on growing your hoya.

Cindy

• Denise
    13 years ago

Oops! When I read "lobbii", my brain went to "lambii"...Duh! It clicked when I saw your photo of that rambling nature of lobbii. Lobbii is one I've been growing for a couple years and it did finally bloom for me last fall. And I had one other peduncle bud up about a month ago, but the blooms never opened quite right. But here's what the blooms looked like last fall...as they opened...

...and fully opened...

It's a beauty! No scent as far as I could detect though.

I grow mine in a hanging pot and it really takes up a lot of space. I plan to cut mine back this spring to try to get it a little more compact, but I have a feeling it's going to be a fight to keep it that way!

As for lobbii, I hope it's more of a climber or twiner, and I don't expect to get blooms anytime soon!

Denise in Omaha

• moonwolf_gw
    13 years ago

Kelly, congrats! I hope your buds make it all the way!

Denise, I love the color of those flowers!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• kellyknits
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Denise,
    Those flowers are beautiful! I'd love for mine to look like that! Do you remember where you got yours? Wondering if we have the same source...
    If it had been my little lambii (DL order as well) I'd be even MORE beside myself!
    Thanks for posting the pictures!

Thanks, Brad!

Kelly

• kellyknits
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hoya lobbii's buds are progressing nicely!

Mike, my Mom was down this weekend and informed me she prefers the hanging basket of lobbii to the bean-stalk lobbii as well! Now that it's hanging in the kitchen as opposed to being in the jungle on the porch, it's getting noticed. As soon as the bean-stalk has bloomed I'm going to cut it up and root it!

Kelly

• greedygh0st
    13 years ago

I really like that picture! Images of buds always make my heart flip-flop.

I have to agree lobbii looks really good as a basket plant. I'm glad you shared that picture because I never would have thought of growing mine in such a way, but now that's the plan. It's a tiny little beanstalk now, so it's not too late to take out the stake. :3

• kellyknits
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Buds are progressing, although not nearly fast enough for me! When I came home this evening there was a freakin' stink bug (those of us in the lower NE states know these guys TOO well) on the buds and sap at near the nodes....

• Denise
    13 years ago

Kelly,

I actually got one in a trade with Shannon (is she still around? Seems like a long time since I've seen a post from her) That one came to me as the "orange" form. Then, the same year (2009), I bought one from CBFM, the one I assume has bloomed for me, which he called the "pink" form. Looks more red than pink to me! Mine's got another bud coming on now, too. I plan to whack mine back this year to work towards a more compact plant!

Denise in Omaha

• kellyknits
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Denise,

Could it have been Shanna? If so, she sold off many of her hoyas last year prior to having her first baby!

There will definitely be some lobbii whacking at my house after this one blooms!

• kellyknits
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I was under the impression that a couple hoyas including lobbii did not branch unless trimmed, so I was really surprised to see this on the beanstalk hoya this evening:

The bottom two nodes have branches forming!

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

That's great and if you do decide to cut the top of the plant at least you know you will get a nice bushy pot full of cuttings.

Mike

• Denise
    13 years ago

Wow, that's cool, Kelly! I'm off to check on mine, now!

Denise in Omaha

• kellyknits
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hoya lobbii's buds are really taking shape! Hope the wait for blooms isn't too much longer! Did lose 2 buds, so down to 11.

• kellyknits
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Buds are getting darker, so I'm hopeful these will be the darker flowers like Denise's!

• cpawl
    13 years ago

Looks like any day now.It will be nice to see if its one of the dark flowered ones.
    I would like to get a cutting of this hoya.

Cindy

• mitzicos
    13 years ago

Kelly,

Thank you for the pictures.... I'm as excited as you with you plant! Everyday I came here to check if the flowers opened. Please keep posting the development. Congrat for your plant, it is really nice, I never considered to grown like you did. The only problem is going to be the roof. LOL

• kellyknits
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for sharing in my excitement! I'm never sure about posting bud pictures, but do it anyway because I love watching the progression of buds! Can remember too when I first started growing hoyas wanting to know what to watch for, etc!

You're absolutely right that the roof is going to be a problem with this one! I'm amazed at how much it has grown this year. After the flowers open and fade I'm goind to chop it up into a full plant...although maybe I'll take the top portion and grow it as a stalk again!

Checked this morning and still no signs of opening... Had really thought they would open this past weekend!

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

I like seeing photos of buds, entire plants for that matter. I have Hoya pachyclada,Hoya lasiantha and Hoya lambii in bud right now and I think I might try and get some photos of them before they bloom. The buds have a charm all their own and some have really peculiar shapes.

It's interesting to see the progression of colour in your plants buds. It looks like you might get a dark pink flower but last time I tried to guess the colour of lobbii's flowers from the bud stage I was way off.

Mike

• greedygh0st
    13 years ago

I totally agree that the buds on Hoyas (and many other plants) are just as spectacular as the actual flowers. Do you ever have the experience where you see the bud and actually get disappointed by the flower? I mean, not on your own plant, of course, but during internet browsing? :P

It really does look like dark flowers! I'm amazed by how much their color has changed. I feel like lobbii is particularly deceitful with its buds, though!

• cpawl
    13 years ago

How pretty, I like the dark and light coloring of the flower.
    It sure took its time to open.

Cindy

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

Very nice and that last photo is STUINNING!

Mike

• squidy
    13 years ago

Wow, they're beautiful! Congrats. :)
    Wonderful texture in the photos~

Sponsored
Style Savvy Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Northern Virginia's Luxurious Interior Designer & Decorator