Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rennfl

davidcummingii seedlings

rennfl
9 years ago

I have too many davidcummingii x ? seedlings to keep, so I thought I'd offer them out to people on here.

But some conditions:

First of all, don't label it davidcummingii, as I'm not positive it was a selfing. There is a good chance, but not 100%. But if it isn't selfed, we don't need to introduce more mislabeled Hoyas into the market.

Second, I ask that if you take one, or a couple, please update me if it dies, or when it flowers, send me a picture. I'd like to keep track of the variability of the seedlings.

That's all I ask.

Please email me through GW if you would like them. Do be aware they are relatively young seedlings, and of course I will hold them until the weather clears up.

There is a somewhat limited number, and I'll do first come, first serve. Continental US only please.

Renee

This post was edited by rennfl on Fri, Jan 9, 15 at 16:33

Comments (33)

• PRO
    Jan Sword-Rossman Realty 239-470-6061
    9 years ago

Sent you an email. ;)

• aurorawa
    9 years ago

email sent :)

• Liberated
    9 years ago

Sent you an email : 0

• rennfl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

ok, requests are rolling in, but I do have some more available.

Also the person who lives in eastern PA, I can't respond to your email, I received this notice.

(PLEASE NOTE: The member responding to your post has chosen not to reveal his or her email address. Therefore, you cannot reply to this message via email.)

Can you resend with your email listed in the text please?

Thanks,

Renee

• rennfl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

If you had requested a seedling, and did not receive an email from me this morning, could you please resend? I think I have them all, but just in case....

There are a few more available if anyone else wants one.

Renee

• Denise
    9 years ago

Hi Renee. I would take one, but I can't figure out how to contact members privately through this new format. Can someone tell me how?

Denise in Omaha

• rennfl
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Denise, I got your comment in email, but it doesn't include your email address. and nope no idea how to do it :) I tried to reply from my email to you, it didn't work either.

ok, editing. found out can pm people through houzz - so if someone wants one, you can pm me and I'll respond back with my email address.

Renee

• blackwillow87
    9 years ago

Renee do you still have any available? Thanks

• rennfl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

blackwillow 87 - yes still a few left. I tried to send you a message to Houzz, but it's not working for you. Can you try and send me one with your email, and I'll respond via email.

Renee

• blackwillow87
    9 years ago

Thanks Renee. Do you know how to pm on here? It's confusing to say t h e least lol.

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    9 years ago

Rennfl, do you have any of the cummingiana left. If you cannot reply here, could you do on your post. Still finding my way around new "Houzz". Thank you, rcharles_gw.

• blackwillow87
    9 years ago

Renee I think now you can message me. I had the wrong option checked.

• Houndhome
    9 years ago

Hi rennfl, I would love to try one if you have any left. I cant figure out how to email you.

• alobo
    9 years ago

I wish were were as lucky as folks in US to have access to Hoyas.

• rennfl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

alobo, sorry if international shipping wasn't such a pain, I'd be happy to share with you. But unfortunately it is.

And, while I was pulling the plants from outside today to get ready to ship some tomorrow, I found at least one of them looks like it is developing splash leaves. I'm keeping that one :)

Renee

• alobo
    9 years ago

What are splash leaves by the way? new leaves? the Hoya "Chiang Mai" that I started a couple years ago, got its first set of new leaves last summer and they got attacked by some hitherto unknow creature, that did not kill the leaves but left yellowish/beige blotches/lines on them, the second set of baby leaves is just opened and for anything that it takes me, I want to prevent a similar attack by this same unknown critter that my be hiding in the commercial medium that I planted it in, orchidmix and hydroton, thanks for replying to by post.The Hoyas i have have never been outside, its too cold in Edmonton,Canada even in summer or we get hail.

• aurorawa
    9 years ago
    these are splash leaves. first and second pic is of wibergiae, which splashes pink in high light. second pic is of sp. 33 AP 1054, which has the typical silver splash. splash is just a term for irregular splotched markings on a leaf that are different than the leaf color. this should not be confused with variegation, which is coloration different than the leaf color that borders the leaf or is in the leaf center. variegation is not splotched. it is more patterened than splashing, less random.
  • alobo
    9 years ago

Aurorawa, thank you for enlightening me, I have those silver markings on my Carnosa, and I have the Hoya Tricolor, and Hoya Exotica that has variegated leaves, but my Chiang Mai has a different problem, will post a picture as soon as I can, its a surface damage like a leaf miner or spider mite.Nice to keep in touch, before I forget, a few of my leaves mostly new ones have a distorted one side, what causes this?Thanks again.

• aurorawa
    9 years ago
    I got the seedlings! They arrived in great condition! Thanks again!
  • alobo
    9 years ago

I never knew that Hoyas could be obtained out of seedlings, wonderful! so happy for all of you who can share their plants in the states, poor us in Canada feel left out, I have about half a dozen types but 3 of them are a Carnosa, Bella and Chiang Mai thats it.

• PRO
    9 years ago

I received cute seeding. Thank you!

• alobo
    9 years ago

I had posted a question about my Hoya Chiang Mai, believe the white sunken patches in a large area of the leaf is perhaps Leaf Oedema, I googled for more information, they feel its a water inbalance, and leaving the plant on the dry side ma help, if any one has this problem be aware.Gardino nursery was of great help in this.I dont know how to put pictures here

• blackwillow87
    9 years ago

Thanks so much Renee. The seedling arrived in great condition. :)

• Liberated
    9 years ago

Thank you Renee.

• greentoe357
    9 years ago

Alobo, consider starting a new thread here with the unrelated topic of sunken patches - you are likely to get more responses that way, rather than it all being lost here. And you won't distract others who are here because of the seedlings, either.

• Mark Scarlato
    8 years ago

Do you still have any seedlings available?

• tlbean2004
    7 years ago

Do any of you still have these seedlings alive? How are the blooms?

• aurorawa
    7 years ago

Sadly, mine died a few months after receiving them. They grew well, but back then, I had no idea how to properly care for davidcummingii.

• Marcy
    7 years ago

LOL aurorawa! If you can't keep one alive and thriving, I'd be surprised if anyone else can! I'm in awe of your collection and expertise.

• aurorawa
    7 years ago

I DO grow davidcumingii just fine, now. I just had no experience with it (or it's offspring/crosses) back then. And as a newer grower, I should NOT have attempted a seedling. I have learned a TON about each species I own, since then. Lost a few, but grew many! Live and learn!

P.S. I don't grow bella because I have serial killed it. Still cannot figure that one out.

• Klnco
    7 years ago

Bella is a hard one for me as well. It's so finicky! I had bought a bunch of cuttings of varigated bella and potted them up, my solid green Bella HATES bright sunlight. So thinking the variegated one would be the same I put it in the shade with slight indirect light. It immediately started losing leaves so I moved it into bright indirect, now it's putting off new growth! Who knows lol

Also I've found that it likes to be ALMOST completely dried out. just barely a little moisture left, then I water.

Another note on bella, I've found it does well in just regular ole ferti-lome (what I prefer to use) potting mix. I don't think it likes well drained soil.

• PRO
    7 years ago

Mine died too.

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!