Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maocake

H. montana - Weird or not?

Maocake
12 years ago

Recently my Hoya montana cutting started showing signs of new growth! However, not having had any contact at all with any plants whatsoever from the Hoya genus before the last six months, I can't tell if this is what new leaves are supposed to look like or not.

The cutting, along with others, is growing inside of transparent plastic bags to protect them from losing water through their leaves while they focus on producing new roots.

Could this somehow affect the cutting negatively? It doesn't seem very likely as the other cuttings are growing just fine without any miscolourations.

So, fellow Hoya growers, what would you do with this possibly mutated leaf?!

~ a Mao-Post ~

Comments (6)

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

Hoyas have a large diversity of leaf forms, so until you get used to growing a particular species and you know what to expect you will see these unusual characteristics.

Hoya montana and it's closest relatives have rather stiff leaves. When a new leaf is developing it is very soft and only after it has reached it's full potential size will it begin to harden and take on it's final shape.
    Many plants have new growth that is of a different colour than the mature growth and this is at least thought to help deter animals from feeding on the leaves. You will see this in some Hoyas as well although I am not sure of the function. Some species show this bronze coloured new growth while others even have bicoloured new growth where the mid vein is a different colour than the rest of the leaf.

Congratulations on the new Hoya growth. I am sure that as your cuttings grow you will become even more fond of this genus of plants.

Mike

• Maocake
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you for your elaborate reply, Mike!

However your answer was not quite what I was looking for, thank you again though.
    The fact that they have such wonderfully coloured leaves is what made me get the majority of the plants in my collection! What got me wondering this time was not that the new growth had a different colour but rather what a strange look the leave's got. It's got both the bronzed tip, as well as a lighter green and yellowish mottling.

I've been doing some research on it but can't seem to find any pictures of a H. montana actively growing.

If anyone has got a picture for comparison, or perhaps some experience of the specie itself that would be very, very much appreciated!

Happy growing!

~a Mao-Post ~

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

I guess what I was trying to say is that the leaf is still developing and not to worry about it. The leaf is not showing any characteristic that you need to be concerned with, the uneven colouration should disappears as the leaf matures.

Mike

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

Mike, that's an interesting story about the new leaves being a different color to detract animals. Thanks for sharing, even if its application to the realm of Hoyas is unknown.

Mao, that is definitely what new Montana leaves look like - half melted plastic. Enjoy!

If I can find Montana and it has some new growth, I'll snap a picture for you tonight.

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

As promised, here's a picture of a new leaf on my Hoya montana. It's a bit further along than yours, but has the same color and splotchiness. Hope this reassures. ^_^

• Maocake
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi guys! Thought I'd let you know you both were right about the leaf.

Thank you, again.

Ghost,I think your melted plastic description is a very good one! You would almost think someone held a lighter right under the leaf.
    Here's an update picture, it's the top left leaf;

Happy Gardening!

~a Mao-Post ~

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville
More Discussions