Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moonwolf_gw

OT: What Keeps Me Busy During The Winter

moonwolf_gw
12 years ago

Hi everyone,

Nothing new with me, hoya-wise, but I wanted to share with you what I've been working on lately. I did repot my little motoskei cutting because it was a little rootbound (kept getting dry too quickly). Anyway, on with the pictures!

First, I'm making a boa to go with my Rocky Horror costume. Here it is in progress. I'm thinking of adding two more colors besides the white and gold. Green and black maybe to match my outfit? Or would that look too tacky?

Second, here is my other gardening project: Winter Sowing! These are the containers I did last year. I did 75 total and who knows how many I'll be doing this year lol. Enjoy!

These are just 19 of the containers I did last year.

{{gwi:346607}}

Hope everyone's doing well!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Comments (9)

• ima_digger
    12 years ago

WOW, Brad. You certainly are keeping busy.
    As for your costume--I would add more color. More color, more better!!!
    Also I love your little garden of bottles. LOL They look so good. You've given me an idea. I want to plant dill and everytime it starts to come up, we have no rain and I forget to water. The bottle set-up will be like a terrariaum until they are big enought to stand a litle dry time.

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks ima!

Yes! The more color the better! We can say that because of all the sequins I have on it LOL. Gonna have to dig through my stash of yarn to see what I have. I know I have purple too. I'll let you know what I decide and post a picture of it when it's all finished. :)

LOL Well you really can't grow plants in them, just start seeds. I have heard of soda bottle pots before, so that might work for your dill. This picture was taken last January. With Winter Sowing, you start with seeds that need cold stratification first, like your perennials. There's a whole forum on here that explains the miracle that is Winter Sowing. It's a lot of fun and it's an excellent way to beat the Winter Blues.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• luvidaho_2010
    12 years ago

I agree, more color and sparkles!

I am teaching myself to knit socks to keep myself occupied until spring. The winter has been so mild so far that I am hoping we can start gardening early this year. Gardening is so much easier for me than these darn socks are! LOL

• lightning96
    12 years ago

Brad, I am doing wintersowing too this year, especially after your encouragement over the summer! I joined the GW Winterswap and was thrilled with all the booty (seeds) that came my way. The seeds I sowed include Swamp Milkweed, Purple Milkweed, ButterflyWeed, Vernonia (Ironweed), Oxe-eye Sunflower, Delphiniums, Anise Hyssop, Rose Mallow (Hibiscus) and other bee/butterfly favorites. Here is the result of my labors:

But there is plenty else to keep me busy spring, summer, fall, and winter. Namely:

And with the warmth of last week I impulsively placed an order from Joni:

Although this picture really doesn't do them justice. They are (tallest in back) aff. fischeriana, and (left to right) bicknellii, fitchii, and dischorensis.

Oh, and here are some blooms brightening up my home this winter:

This plumeria spent all summer outdoors, but decided to bloom during the short winter days. It's been blooming nonstop since November!

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Luvidaho, lol knitting can be a little frustrating at times but good luck on the socks! I've never knitted them before but I just may have to attempt it one of these days. LOL More color and sparkles. I was thinking of adding more sequins and rhinestones to the jacket. Now you've given me reason to!

Lightning96, do your daughters help you out with gardening in any way? I know my eldest niece loves to help me and I gave my sister a few different kinds of house plant cuttings for presents and my sister said my niece waters them :). She loves to help me in the garden in the spring and summer too. Congrats on the hoyas and the plumeria blossoms! I love the leaves on the hoyas!

Update on the boa: I have started the second colors. I'm using a multicolored blue yarn and purple yarn (crocheting them together like the white and gold).

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• lightning96
    12 years ago

Brad, I forgot to ask you --- what seeds will you be winter sowing this year? I am amazed that you had 75 containers last year! Did you have enough space for all of those seedlings?

My girls do love to help with gardening. In the house, they love to help me repot plants and water them. Outdoors, in the summer, they help watering, and if I'm not careful they also help with sowing seeds...just not where I intended to plant some! Last year I found my daughter with a pack of seeds, walking around the yard planting them in all kinds of hidden places. LOL
    They also help with the butterfly spotting!

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I am sowing all sorts of seeds! Right now, it's just perennials and I won't start my annuals until late Feb. or early March. I've planted Joe Pye Weed, Swamp Milkweed, several kinds of Columbines, Boneset, Cardinal Flower, Feverfew and a few others. I have both annuals and perennials I haven't tried before and some I have.

Glad to hear that they have an interest in gardening too! Have you guys ever grown morning glories or moonflower vines? The moonflower vines are fun to watch open up at night. My niece and nephew loved it when they saw one a couple years back LOL Well at least they're getting the hang of gardening. You learn as you go I always say! I'm glad they help out with the butterflies too! We always need extra pairs of eyes to see what flutters into our gardens!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• bama_gardener
    12 years ago

Brad, I promised you seeds late last summer from my butterfly weed (orange/gold). The seed pods kept "exploding" when I wasn't looking!! but I finally got some this past week. If you are still interested I could put them in an envelope for you. I also have seeds from my Four O'Clocks that I collected on a trip to see Dr. Dirt's garden over in Mississippi. Dr. Dirt partnered with Felder Rushing for gardening programs around the South and his garden was one his grandmother had tended before she passed away. I also have offsets from my Pregnant Onion (ornithogalum caudatum)- a house plant - if you are interested.
    Just send me an email and let me know.
    Beverly

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Beverly, I will e-mail you!

Just wanted to give an update on the boa. I am working on the last row and here's how it's gonna look. I'm thinking of making the tassels either purple and blue or just one of those colors. Enjoy!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County