Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pal123_gw

succulent leafed hoyas

pal123
9 years ago

Would love to know from all of you which hoyas have the thickest, most succulent leaves? I'm guessing Kerrii, but am curious your thoughts. Thank you very much.

Comments (7)

• aurorawa
    9 years ago

Hoya meliflua, treubiana, fungii, bicknellii, sp. kunming kina, lyi, cv. Noelle, just to name a few of mine. Lyi and sp. kunming kina are probably the two of mine that have the thickest leaves. Keep in mind that thick leaves does not always mean "water less", and vice versa.

• Denise
    9 years ago

Hoyas are my favortie because so many of them have succulent leaves. Latifolia's leaves become very, very succulent with age. One leaf can be heavier than a whole plant of a smaller, less succulent species. I agree about meliflua, too. What's interesting about meliflua, though, is that the leaves that become so succulent as they mature are the most fragile when they first emerge. I can practically blow on a new leaf and it will fall. You have to keep it someplace where it will not get disturbed at all when it's growing! And even then, few leaves make it to maturity...

Macrophylla has very succulent leaves, and mine can get leaves that are huge. Minibelle's leaves become quite succulent. Some of the pubicalyx cultivars become succulent with age as well as australis ssp. australis.

Denise in Omaha

• greentoe357
    9 years ago

Why are you asking, pal123? Rather than answering the question, we may be of better use of we answer the question behind the question. :-)

I can think of a few more. The whole polystachya / latifolia group, 'Jennifer' and its parent finlaysonii (some more than others), treubiana, some subspecies of H. australis (ssp. australis, ssp. rupicola), marginata, some carnosas ('Chelsea', for example), pachyclada.

• PRO
    Jan Sword-Rossman Realty 239-470-6061
    9 years ago

H cv Christin, Australis rupicola, finnlaysonii ripple leaf.

• pal123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks all for the great information!
    Greentoe357, thanks for your question. I asked because I've admired a hoya that I see in an office I visit on occasion and can't identify it.(asked for a cutting, but the receptionist looked at me like I'm crazy! She's clearly not a plant person) I'd love to find one like it, so I was hoping for some leads since it's distinguishing characteristic is thick, deep green succulent leaves. Photos can be deceptive in showing if the plant has thick leaves or not. Like denise, I find those leaves so beautiful and flowers are just a bonus to me.
    Thanks again.

• greedygh0st
    9 years ago

I would go for a latifolia/polystachya for sure, then. It's the most succulent one that also has an attractive growth habit. It also blooms relatively quickly (for a Hoya), and when it does it's like a firework festival - clusters of peduncles all blooming at once. My sister came out of her I'm-not-a-green-thumb self-doubts via this plant, so I think anyone can grow it easily and happily.

Kerrii's leaves are just as succulent, but it's such an awkward-looking plant. Forever stuck in its pre-teen years where it can't figure out how to curl its bangs and towers over the boys.

Meliflua is a good candidate for succulence too, and has very rewarding flowers, but out of the three it has the least exciting leaves.

There's also a pottsii floating around that has awesomely succulent leaves that are sooooooooo gorgeous!!! But it doesn't have a collection number that I know of, so idk how you'd track it down except by posting a trade request for a succulent pottsii. I've never seen another pottsii/nicholsoniae like it - they usually have just medium-thick leaves - neither thin nor succulent.

This post was edited by greedyghost on Fri, Jan 16, 15 at 16:15

• greentoe357
    9 years ago

> I asked because I've admired a hoya that I see in an office I visit on occasion and can't identify it. (asked for a cutting, but the receptionist looked at me like I'm crazy!
    > I'd love to find one like it

I am glad I asked why you asked then. Take a few pictures! We can ID it from that. Then you'll know what you should be looking for if they are not giving you a cutting.

Or I think an even better idea (but not at all a mutually exclusive one!) is instead of asking the "glass stare" receptionist for a cutting, ask who waters and otherwise takes care of the plant, and then talk to them. (Be ready with a plan B though if it turns out to be the receptionist herself.) Whoever you talk to, warm them up first by chatting them up and complimenting them (deservedly, I understand!) Then tell them, hey, these are easy to multiply by just a piece of stem (use that or other simple language, as many people do not know what a cutting is, or what the word "propagate" means). Ask them for a stem, and quickly add that their cut end will continue right on growing from the place the last leaf grows out of (avoid the word "node" for the same reason). I bet you you have a chance to come out of there with a cutting.

Also (or instead), consider talking to whoever at that office "owes you" the most, even if it's very little. Say, if it's a dental office, and you just had a root canal done, and you are handing them the check for the $300 co-pay, tell them (while extending the check but firmly holding it in your hand HAHA), "hey, can I have a little piece of stem of that gorgeous plant growing in your reception area?" They'll be too eager to get you to let go of the check, and they'll say yes. Well, I am only partially joking and exaggerating here, but you get the idea, hopefully.

And of course even if you get a cutting, there is nothing wrong (and there is everything right!) with researching all the good ones we mentioned to you. Hey, you might even get A FEW succulent hoyas to get you started and to keep them all company.

> There's also a pottsii floating around that has awesomely succulent leaves that are sooooooooo gorgeous! But it doesn't have a collection number that I know of

GG, you didn't REALLY think you'll get away with just mentioning THAT, did you? lol Can we see pics? I love pottsii varieties! But I grow only 2 (hellwigiana and IML 0022). I also grow a cross of pottsii 'Chiang Mai' and [likely] sp. Ko Chang Island - but that one does not even look like pottsii so it should not count.

I am always open to discovering new ones.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville
More Discussions