Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luvidaho_2010

Happy Birthday to me! ID help too

luvidaho_2010
12 years ago

Had a bit of a milestone last week, turned the big 50! While browsing at my favorite nursery I found a couple presents for myself, 3 actually. LOL

They had three hoyas, two labeled hoya bella and one carnosa. The two bellas looked nothing alike. One had very small thin leaves the other looked exactly like the one I bought labeled carnosa.

Is this bella or carnosa?

I also bought a Crown of Thorns and a Ceropegia woodii, both in bloom.

Tami

Comments (18)

• maggnome
    12 years ago

That's really nice looking! I love the coloring on the leaves.

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

Hi Tami,

Happy Belated Birthday!

Neither Bella nor Carnosa. I believe that's a Hoya Obovata & a speckled one at that, I've only seen pix of this one. Don't know if it has a formal name. VERY nice find & looks VERY healthy too, great find!!! Congrats to you!!!

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

I agree with PG, your plant is a very beautiful variety of Hoya obovata. You should be very proud of that plants because it really is gorgeous.

Mike

• iochroma
    12 years ago

HB 2 U, and many more...

It looks as though it might be the cross between H carnosa and obovata to me. The leaves are a little longer and have a point, and the amount of silvering is really great for it to be obovata.

Whatever it turns out to be it looks very healthy and well-grown.

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

Leaf shape is affected by light levels, fertilizer levels and is very much variable. If you look closely you will also see that there are leaves with a retuse tip and others with an even more pronounced indentation.
    There is a Hoya carnosa x obovata hybrid out there and it can be fairly easily identified when it blooms. I still believe that this is simply a form of Hoya obovata with speckled leaves.

Do a Google search for speckled Hoya obovata and take a look at the photos.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: A page dedicated to the carnosa x obovata hybrid

• luvidaho_2010
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you everyone! I had seen posts with pictures of this one before but I couldn't remember what it was. It is a very nice plant, this particular nursery always has extremely well cared for plants. They don't have a lot of houseplants, mostly focus on outdoor plants and accessories.

From looking at the pictures of bella on the internet, the small leafed one they have is a bella.

Mike, thanks for the link.
    Tami

• patrick51
    12 years ago

Hi Tami...your H. obovata is obovata 'Silver Spot'. I purchased mine from CBFM last June...it's a "rampant" grower, much faster growing that the variegated obovata or the all-green obovata. I find the silver markings to be very stable. Be sure to not over-water this plant..water well and allow to dry out before another heavy drenching. Your obovata looks great...mine was small, but is now quite large. You made a great purchase!! Fondly, Patrick

• luvidaho_2010
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Patrick, thanks for the info! I am very pleased with it. I am glad to hear the leaf markings are stable, they are so beautiful. Now, if it will just bloom for me I will be a very happy girl!
    The nursery is a pretty small family owned business so I am always happy to support their business by purchasing something every time I am there. LOL

• iochroma
    12 years ago

Huh... I got obovata 'Silver Spot' from a reputable grower, but it has no where near as much spotting as the one above, and the leaves are rounder.

Anyone have cuttings of the plants above, I'm interested.

• luvidaho_2010
    Original Author
    12 years ago

iochroma- the nursery I purchased mine from has another one but I don't know that they ship plants. I could ask them if you would like.
    Tami

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

If I might please? I'd be interested in that inquiry as well. TIA.

(PG) Karen

• luvidaho_2010
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sure PG, when I find out I can post whether they ship or not. I keep arguing with myself about going back and buying the other one too. Fortunately, I won't be able to go back until the end of next week so by then hopefully I will have a grip on myself! Hubby isn't nearly as intrigued/obsessed with plants as I am, so he thinks I have more than plenty already. LOL

• iochroma
    12 years ago

Tell Hubby you're going to cut the second one up and sell cuttings, so it won't take up any room...

• luvidaho_2010
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I could try that iochroma, I don't think he will believe me! Usually I just strategically place new ones so they aren't quite as noticeable. Sometimes I get away with it. LOL

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

Well if you go back & find it you could pls. buy it for us. You could split it in 2 for Iochroma & me & then you'd be telling DH the TRUTH!!!!!

a ha hahahaha, only half kidding, half not. I'd sure pay for shipping, am guessing they (he/she) would too.

• iochroma
    12 years ago

I will

• luvidaho_2010
    Original Author
    12 years ago

LOL! I am going back there tomorrow to see if the other one is still there. If it is, it just might come home with me. I did talk to the manager yesterday, they do not ship so that is out. He was going to check to see what supplier the plants came from.

• luvidaho_2010
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The other obovata was still there, it is currently in my "isolation" room with the other one. It begged me to take it home, along with a cute little cactus and a couple really neat terra cotta pots! Sooooo, Karen and Iochroma send me an email we will see what we can figure out.
    Tami

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio