Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aggie2_gw

I caught the Hoya bug!

Aggie2
12 years ago

Hi All,

I caught the Hoya bug! I hope a lot of you don't know how all this hoya craze started, my was sudden and unexpected!

6 months ago, while grocery shopping, I picked up EA basket with miserably looking H.lacunosa. Like a most of people I have seen hoya before. My mother used to have giant carnosa blooming like crazy in her office, I had compacta growing for 5 years on my balcony and later manage to kill it. Didn't even try to root a single cutting to save it! (What was wrong with me?) Then that sad lacunosa happened, followed by (disappointing) trips to local nurseries, HD and Lowes... Soon after first mail order arrived with two 4 inch pots, rooted polyneura and pubicalyx from Rare flora joined recovering lacunosa. Poor plants almost cooked in transit from north to south Florida, sat on my patio for few weeks doing nothing, and slowly stared growing. After discovering this forum, SRQ hoyas and couple other web sites I was hooked. Now there I'm, waiting for my second order from Joni, wondering why no one sells hoyas in Miami!

Lacunosa grew a lot (although leaves look very different now, I guess light conditions etc.) and just started blooming!

carnosa

carnosa noid

And my little babies

My short hoya list:

Carnosa

Carnosa Chelsea

Carnosa var. noid

cumingiana

DS-70

Kerrii

lacunosa

polyneura

pubicalyx ��"hawaian royal purple

rotundiflora

verticilata

I like them all, especially pubescent minis. As of now DS-70 with amazing fuzzy almost purple new growth is a favorite!

Polyneura is enjoying our winter temps and two tiny penducles are growing, don't have much hope for flowers but she is trying! I think this one will need AC in the summer :o)!

Thank you all for spreading hoya bug! Aggie

Comments (11)

• tammypie
    12 years ago

I think my Hoya "Hemmoriods" are flaring up again ...lol yeah sick joke.. lol anyways I re-potted my hoya collection with new potting mix this weekend. I have a single, tiny H. Linearis that I re-potted and put in a small pot in a blown-up baggie. Same with my Fishtail.

Anyways, my hoya fever has returned with a vengeance this year and I can't wait for spring/summer to see the blooms.

Here is my collection:

H. Archboldiana(?)
    H. Caudata
    H. Carnosa (my 87 year old mother in law's cutting)
    H. Carnosa Krimson Queen (13 year old plant, my oldest)
    H. Cummingiana (cutting from Christine Burton)
    H. Diptera
    H. Lacunosa Tove
    H. Lauterbachii
    H. Limoniaca
    H. Linearis
    H. Loherii
    H. Parviflora
    H. Polyneura
    H. Retusa
    H. Ruthie
    H. Schneii
    H. Serpens
    H. Shepherdii

Always a pleasure to show of my pics... enjoy!

• Laura_Carnosa
    12 years ago

Excellent! Fantastic! Beautiful!

Hoya Fever is alive and well. Coming down with a bout myself!!

• iochroma
    12 years ago

Hi Aggie - I caught the bug about 35 years ago - I can tell you that one can live with it as a chronic condition....

If you like pubescent minis, try 'Mathilde', which is easier than its parent, serpens, especially in the heat of Florida.

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

Nice Hoyas Aggie.

If you like minis that have pubescent leaves I would recommend Hoya parvifolia. This species can be hard to find and it's hard to root as it seems to like it dry and rots in high humidity rooting conditions. If you can find a rooted cutting this is a great little Hoya that has thick succulent hairy leaves.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Hoya parvifolia on Hoyor.net

• Aggie2
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Iochroma, I guess it means that it's beneficial one and "mathilde" is coming tomorrow from Joni! :o)
    Thanks Mike, I will keep my eyes open for parvifolia.
    Tammypie, great Hoyas! Could you tell me what is on 4th pic? Looks like my kind of Hoya, small leaves, green fluffy flowers...Yum!
    Laura, you're right! Biggest problem is that once you start it's hard to stop. So many hoyas.......

Aggie

• ssuarkc
    12 years ago

Beautiful pictures!

I just caught the Hoya bug myself. I've been scouring local stores looking for hoya but it seems to be a rare find in my neck of the woods. Boo. :(

I have one hoya - a pubicalyx which I took a couple cuttings from and they quite readily rooted, so I guess I now have 2. :)

I just recently found a lovely Hoya grower who sells little plants and I'm rather addicted to that web site and may find myself accidently on purpose buying a few. ;)

• mitzicos
    12 years ago

OMG..... I read all the thread looking for the bug! What kind of bug did she catch? Didn't see any...... them I realize that "I caught the hoya bug" must be an expression to tell that you are addicted to hoyas............ LOL, it is very funny when you don't speak the language!!!!

Mitzi

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

I can't believe no one responded to your thread all day, Mitzi. This was the first thing I read today after I woke up and I laughed and laughed. :)

This is why I love learning languages.

• mitzicos
    12 years ago

GG,

I still not understanding if this is a common expression "I caught the hoya bug", to mean that the person is addicted in hoya or whatever. Most of the time I understand the things literally, pure and simple the way it is written, I don't use any electronic translator (it is worse than my own translation)I use the wordreference dictionary for helping in some words that I never read before, therefore I get confuse with the things I'm reading here, because there is always some expressions or words that I never heard before! I read many times about EA hoyas, EA mislabel, EA confusion, it took a while to learn that EA means Exotic Angels, one American producer that I'd never imagine its existence. Somehow or other I'm learning new words and improving my English, and making a lot of mistakes is spelling!!!

Mitzi

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

Sorry, Mitzi. I should have clarified.

Yes, as you inferred, "caught the _____ bug" has an informal meaning. It means "a sudden strong interest in doing something."

Example sentence: "I bought one Hoya and immediately caught the bug (=became very interested in Hoyas).

Source: Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English

"Bug" is used informally in this way because bug can also mean a harmful microorganism that causes illness. For example, if you got sick with a cold, you might say "I caught a bug." So, when people say they caught the "Hoya bug" they are saying that they are suddenly very passionate about Hoyas. As though they caught a disease and can't control their behavior.

Hope that makes sense!

For the record, it took me a long time to figure out what they meant by "EA Hoya," too. Even if English is your native language, it takes time to understand the "lingo" (= specific vocabulary) of a group.

Also, I never notice you misspelling anything! You're too hard on yourself. What I do notice is that your English has gotten a lot more fluent since you started talking to us!

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville
More Discussions