Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
klyde_gw

Whooooo Hooooo

klyde
13 years ago

I have always had great success with houseplants, just like the rest of you talented lot. Then I got into hoyas, which may I say has turned out to be quite humbling. Yup, falling off my high horse almost daily when I look at how they are doing. Likely my choices of hoyas for the growing conditions I can provide, I know I know.

Anywho, a lovely generous lass from yonder hills generously sent me a cutting of linearis. I kept lopping off the new growth and now have a modestly full 4 inch pot of it with...wait for it...an umble! Now I know for the rest of you gifted hoyanista's this may not seem like such a big deal, but listen up folks. For this chickie on Vancouver Island it is big.

That linearis is kind of a limp, soft, fuzzy, weakish looking hoya in my humble opinion. I can't figure why it grows for me, but it does. Now the little limpet looks like she's gonna bloom. What I nice surprise for a (may I say?) rather crappy week. Ya, ya, ya, I talk in paragraphs I know get to the point if I haven't already. So what do we know about this linearis anyway? Common for it to be growing (and possibly blooming) at this time of the year?

Kelly

Comments (9)

• kellyknits
    13 years ago

Congrats! Mine grows and grows, but no signs of umbels... I think linearis likes cold weather so maybe this time of year helps!

Hope you can post pictures!

Kelly in WV

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

Congratulations Kelly this is not an easy Hoya to root cuttings of, grow or bloom. My plant makes buds but they never bloom and I attribute that to the fact that the temperature does not fall enough at night to maintain the buds. I aim for around 65F but I am sure that linearis would like it lower still. Do you grow your plant cool?

Mike

• klyde
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Kelly: you generous lass from yonder hills. You would be pleased with how your progeny is doing.

Mike: Indeed I do grow it cool. Mostly cuz I'm too cheap to heat my wee house at night. So for 12 hours the heat is essentially off and then a few hours during the day the heat is on. Old houses don't heat very efficiently, so linearis is never very warm. Mind you I'm PNW, so it's not like it is routinely getting below freezing outside at night. Thermostat says the house goes down to 15 degrees. I have it hanging right by the window as well (not grown with lights). It grows slow to moderately during the warm months, but this winter it has really taken off. The wee umbel is right on the end of the branch and doesn't have much of a stem to it. I'll try to take some photos...well thanks for the kind words. I'm needing them about now.

Kelly :)

• kellyknits
    13 years ago

It does get a little chilly in your house! Mine is currently on my enclosed porch which gets down to about the same temperature as your house.

This is the second time I've heard about cuttings from my mother plants budding/blooming before my mother plant does! One of these days! Can't wait to see a picture of it!

Kelly in WV

• klyde
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ahhhh. Hello to Mama plant! You know, may I say that I have paid large sums for bringing in cuttings that haven't done a darn thing (cv 'Sunrise' you useless ...). Then you sent me that cutting and it grows and grows. I love that plant I really do. It's far out and weird and looks like it needs an iron supplement (lol) but it is by far and away my favourite. I would not have ordered it either, as I am just too predictable (and know too little) when it comes to hoyas. So that is my paragraphy way of saying thank you.

• kellyknits
    13 years ago

Any time! I still love my earrings from the boys!

Thank you!

• klyde
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It was the least I could do...

Bam! Maybe that's how I'll know what my next hoya purchase should be. Let someone else decide. Look how well the linearis gig turned out. Okay Kelly. C'mere Mike. Yo Denise. I'm in need of a hoya personal shopper. Small house, cold at night, modest plant abilities...I trust you all implicitly.

Kelly in Victoria

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

My first thought for a smaller cool grower is Hoya serpens. I really like Hoya shepherdii and longifolia but they can become long hanging plants although they bloom during the cool weather. Hoya thompsonii is an intermediate grower and it would be fine with the conditions you have, thompsonii is an amazing Hoya with thick hard hairy leaves (sometimes spotted) and white highly fragrant flowers.

Mike

• klyde
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I am on the trail oh hoya whisperer. Shepherdii, longifolia, thomsonii, got it. Serpens I have and it has not done a darn thing in 2 years. By all accounts it should do well. I'll start tracking them...

Kelly

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio