Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tammypie

What's Left of my H. Linearis...

tammypie
12 years ago

... I want to keep. I have a tiny H. Linearis that is looking healthy yet I neglected it. It was once a beautiful Hoya that died off awhile back.

When do you suggest I replant it in new soil? Can I do it now this time of year? Since it's a cool-growing hoya will this be an issue?

Thanks, TPie

Comments (13)

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

Hi Tammy,

If it looks healthy, I'd leave it be for now. Spring would be a better time to repot it, now's not a good time (the cold of winter & likely slower growth).

I don't know about things being cool growing. I find this Hoya a bit tricky to grow, lost one once before. This bit now, I've had since summer. I'm conservative w/ it to be on the safe side. Let's see what the others say.

• tammypie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

OK, I will leave it alone until May-June and repot it and see what it does.

Tammy

• Laura_Carnosa
    12 years ago

If I may offer my humble .02c...
    TPie, you may want to re-pot just before the active growing season commences. I feel when we repot afer active growing takes place, we could be setting our babies back. I suggest re-pot in March. Interested in what others have to say, esp those who grow linearis, unlike myself*.
    (*my disclaimer re: any bad advice just offered!)

• patrick51
    12 years ago

Tammy...everyone seems to treat their H. linearis differently, depending on where they live. I find that the MOST active time of growth is during my winter, when the temperatures in the house are at 58 degrees. I find that H. linearis does zero growing during the hot summer months, but once we reach December, the plants send up many new vines, which helps to fill in the plants. I have two H. linearis..and both behave the same way. I would suggest that you re-pot your linearis as soon as you like...waiting until spring/summer is not a great idea for a "winter" grower. I see that you live near the tropics, so this might not work for you. Why do you want to re-pot this plant? Both of mine are EA hoyas, and are still in their original mix/hanging basket...they do very well. I try my best to keep mine moist, watering heavily before they dry out, until the water runs from the basket tray...I also will soak them occasionally. Mine look "stressed" during the hot months, but perk up once autumn arrives...and then sends out lots of new vines. Mine are hung above the windows and reach the floor and run along the floor a few feet. I really would like to know why you wish to re-pot? Best wishes, Patrick

• Laura_Carnosa
    12 years ago

You're so wise, Patrick. I always enjoy the wisdom in your posts, and you're always so humble, too. Sincerely.

I must get my hands on linearis. I seem to do well with cool growers.

• tammypie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Laura Carnosa (like your name...lol):

I live in So. California, so our winters are pretty mild, so I will repot in March. In fact, that is the time of year I re-do my African Violets.

Maybe you do well with cool growers is because you live in Canada?

• Laura_Carnosa
    12 years ago

I'd have to agree with you there, Tpie. X-D

I've been doing really well with compacta, carnosa, pubicalyx, bella, serpens, and polyneura.

I'm pretty new to Hoya (almost 5 years with carnosa, hence my name) so I always get a chuckle when someone who lives in a warmer climate can't grow something I find soo easy! (ex. serpens, bella, polyneura) Makes me feel special, I suppose. But I cannot even bother with the warm growers. Intermediate is as warm as I will go. I hate disappointment :-P

I must try linearis. I think I can, I think I can, I think I can... X-P

• tammypie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

What part of Canada do you live in, Laura C?

• Laura_Carnosa
    12 years ago

I live in Southern Manitoba, just half hour south of the capital, Winnipeg.

I'm not too far from Grand Forks, ND. About an hour...

• patrick51
    12 years ago

Laura, thanks for the kind words. Yes, I would encourage you to try H. linearis...a very beautiful plant, and it should do well in your region. I do believe that this hoya desires more light than I'm able to provide. Hence, I get tons of growth and never a bloom. Fondly, Patrick

• Laura_Carnosa
    12 years ago

I seem to do well with bella, serpens and polyneura, so I'd love to give linearis a go. I hope to get some this spring. As you're aware, sunlight this time of year, in my zone, is hard to come by, so I cheat with sunblasters... Tho, as I recall, you had a poor experiance with those...

Pity, to have all that new growth and nary a bloom?

• tammypie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

What's a sunblaster?

• Laura_Carnosa
    12 years ago

Well, I doubt you'd need one in So Cal... lol
    A sunblaster is a type of florescent T-5 grow light.
    Cheap to buy, cheap to run. $20-$30 for a unit, incl bulb.
    And amazing almost natural light...
    Golly I love mine. I have 5.
    One 2 footer, Three 3 footers, and one four footer.
    Been actively growing all winter, with no slowdown!

Sponsored