Return to the Hoya Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
It's a Bloom...but not a hoya...

Posted by kellyknits 6/WV Eastern Panhand (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 15, 11 at 21:47

Was transplanting some hoyas which have continued to grow through the cold weather and decided to take 5 of the 6 orchids I own and transplant them in a pot together. I've not had great luck with orchids, but they manage to hang in there...looking a bit sad though... One was in bloom! I believe it's Epidendrum cockleata, although I don't know my orchids very well...

Epidendrum cockleata

Epidendrum cockleata

Epidendrum cockleata

I love surprises like this!

Just biding time until my next hoya order....
Kelly

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: It's a Bloom...but not a hoya...

Hi Kelly!

Putting all the orchids in the same pot could be a mistake -- especially if they require different growing conditions. If ya like, email me what you have and some pics and I'll see if I can help you out (though I can't promise to be super prompt -- this time of year tends to craziness workwise)

This one was previously known as Encyclia cochleata. Currently it is called either Anacheilium cochleatum or Prosthechea cochleata -- blasted taxonomists can't make up their bloody minds and keep changing the name.

o

Kelly thanks for sharing your photos of your orchid.I love orchids and would love to grow them but I just don't have much luck.I have kept 6 alive this winter so maybe I getting a bit better with them.
I was also transplanting a bunch of hoyas yesterday getting ready for spring.
My acuta had a seed this fall ripen,so I have tried to grow them and was able to transplant them into bigger pots.They are getting there real leaves and I can see some difference's between the seedlings.It will be interesting to see if i can keep them going.

Cindy

o

Beautiful Orchid Kelly, is this one fragrant? My Anacheilium fragrans was blooming a while ago and it had very long lasting fragrant flowers. In your last photo the bloom looks like a little yellow eyed octopus wearing a cape with a flared neck like Dracula's.

I have a couple orchids in bloom right now as well. My Polystachya rosea has most if its flowers open now and the spike is branched in several places with more buds on the way.
I took this photo last week when the flower spike had only about half the blooms open. The blooms are quite small but when they are all open it looks nice.

Polystachya rosea flower spikes

My Bulbophyllum rothschildianum just dropped its bloom but it was flowering last week as well. There is a possibility that this is a hybrid and I have to take a look at the lip of the flower again to try and figure that out. If I do have a hybrid this is the second time I have gotten this species mislabeled. This one is on tree fern but for the photo it's propped up in a pot.

Bulbophyllum rothschildianum

Cindy that is so exciting that you are raising some Hoya seedlings. I would be interested to see them once you start to see more growth. Is your Hoya acuta a white flowered form?

Mike

o

Mike, nice orchids you have.
I was told my acuta was the green form.Heres a photo of the flower.
Photobucket

Cindy

o

Paul,
I wondered about that...I think the others are Brassavola Little Stars, Psychopsis mendenhall "Hildos", Epidendrum Moon Valley "Sunkist", and Epidendrum floribundum x Enc cordigerum.
Thanks for the name update!

Cindy,
Repotting really starts getting you in the mood for spring, doesn't it?!?! I need to get some more hydroton!
Good luck with your acuta babies! How exciting!

Mike,
I didn't notice any scent. Am still just beside myself that it's blooming! Sure hope the others follow suit! Yours are beautiful! Am very amused by the Bulbophyllum rothschildianum - it's very alien-like (totally agree with your view of mine as well!)!

My rooting tank was almost empty, so decided to cut up some of my bigger rooted cuttings to make fuller plants...I'm a little nervous....LOL....just can't wait until spring!

Kelly

o

Cindy I have the red form of Hoya acuta from David Liddle, we might have to do a trade if I can convince myself that I have room for another big Hoya.

Kelly Bulbophyllums can be pretty weird and that one has a fringe of purple filiments that move and the lip moves up an down and trap flys when they land on it. These are really fascinating orchids and some of my favorites.
I have four other orchids in my grow case that are working on buds. Areangis biloba, Phalaenopsis lowii, Nageliella purpurea and my Bulbophyllum bandischii is trying again so hopefully this bud develops fully.
I keep myself busy in the winter with orchid society meetings and shows and then the Hoyas and other plants take over durinng the summer. Maybe you should figure out what orchids do well for you and then add a few that bloom in the winter.

Mike

o

Mike,
Are you KIDDING me?! Now I TOTALLY want a Bulbophyllum rothschildianum...there's a couple on ebay right now... I love wacky plants!
Snow is just a fallin' right now...Come on spring!
Kelly

o

Mike, I'm always up for a trade.Let me know come spring if you decide you have room for one more:))
Kelly, I hear you about spring, hurry up.Sunday was so warm we broke a record. It was 14/60 degrees and even the sun was out for a bit.This past week has been a mix of everything, Tue/wed we had 6 inches of snow and then by Thur it warmed up and began poring.Good old pineapple express.

Cindy

o

Kelly I thought I would link to a few Bulbo videos on Youtube so that you could see what these orchids are like, truly awesome plants.

This is Bulbo medusae and it is a favorite, grows hot/warm and wet. The blooms are fantastic but smell like gym socks, still it's worth it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6boDfu_abzg

This is a very rare species but Bulbophyllum barbigerum is closely related and much easier to find for sale. These orchids were once thought to be a missing link between plants and animals due to the incredible movement that occurs in even the slightest air movement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1mT1v1g04Q

If you like weird plants then you will love these orchids. There are about 3000 species so they can be very addictive. At one point I had more than 200 different Bulbo but many can be hard to bloom without high humidity, some grow like weeds so you just have to do a little research before you choose. Plants range from less than 1/4" tall to more than three foot long pendant leaves in species like Bulb phalaenopsis and giant species like Bulbo beccarii which has leaves just like Hoya lambii but this plant literally spirals around large jungle trees catching falling leaves and debris in it's large leaves.

Hopefully my Bulbo bandischii blooms because it's a really cool looking one that I have been trying to bloom forever. My orchid case has really helped with my more fussy plants. My Hoya imbricata still is not an easy one though and both my plants showed some die back this fall. The one on tree fern has been quite fussy about moisture and I think it is better to either keep it nice and moist or to have a more solid support for it to cling to.

Mike

o

OH MY GOSH! Just watched the videos! Amazing! Thank you, Mike, for posting!

Found a medusae on eBay!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ORCHID-SPECIES-Habenaria-medusae-5-Bulbs-/260720824572?pt=UK_HomeGarden_Garden_PlantsSeedsBulbs_JN&hash=item3cb42c10fc

o
RE: It's a Bloom...but not a hoya...again....

Mike,
Is your orchid case the fabulous terrarium you've shown pictures of before? (Feel free to post more pictures!)
For Christmas I got a reptile-enclosure to make into a plant terrarium!

o

Kelly that is Habenaria medusae which is a terrestrial species from Thailand but with very nice flowers. Bulbophyllum meduse is not hard to find and if you want I can show you a few sources for Bulbos or orchids in general in the U.S.
I will post some moe orchid photos, need to clean the orchid case before I take any new photos though because the water spots really show up.

Mike

o

Mike,
I would love to good orchid sources in the US!
Thank you!

o

Kelly there are many vendors in the US but some are known for certain types of orchids. Carolina Orchids specializes in Bulbophyllum but Andy's Orchids, J&L Orchids and Oak Hill Gardens usually have a good selection. Ebay has some great plants listed during the warmer months.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: American orchid vendors

o

Hi Kelly,

That is one AMAZING Orchid, congratulations to you on its blooming & thanks much for the Show.

(Unfortunately, I recently lost the H. diptera you'd shared w/ me ;<( .)

If you like wacky plants, remind me in Spring, perhaps I'll send some Ceropegia sandersonii your way (& you can maybe get its VERY ODD flowers to bloom). Google it for pix of bloom & see if you like it.

Warmly,

(PG) Karen

o

Ooooh, Karen those are cool! I've never seen one in person and had forgotten how neat the flowers are. How difficult is the plant to grow?

Kelly, Oakhill is probably the one I would recommend to you. IME, one tends to get the most "bang for your buck" with them. I don't know that I would recommend your perusing Andy's website until you first hand over your wallet to someone who will keep it out of your reach for your own safety and put a drool guard over your keyboard.

innocent smileys

o

Karen,
Sounds like you and I have a trade for the spring! Ceropegia sandersonii is VERY cool and there's more diptera to be had!

Mike,
The evil emoticon is TOTALLY appropriate! After glancing at two of the recommended sites I now have a list of a dozen orchids, not including bulbophyllum medusae! I'm going to need to get a third job if I keep looking at these!
Here's my epanding list:
Dendrobium violaceum
Masdevallia discoida
Mediocalcar decorata
Angraecum distichum
Bulbo careyanum
Gastrochilus japonicus
Rossioglossum Rawdon Jester
Aerangis biloba
Dendrobium unicum
Mediocalcar decontum
Bulbo affine
Bulb blumei

I'm sure some are misspelled...I was scribbling the names down on a used envelop and am now having trouble decyphering it!

o

Kelly Orchids can be even more addictive than Hoyas because there are just so many more species available, I won't even mention the number of Hybrids.

Bulbophyllum blumei would be a good species to start with. Bulbo medusae is a bit hard to grow for some but you should be able to grow and bloom it well in Florida.

Here is my plant blooming when it was small. It has not bloomed since I divided it more than a year ago but it should bloom this summer if I pamper it a little.

Bulbophyllum medusae

A really fantastic awarded Bulbo hybrid that is a good grower and stunning in bloom is Bulbophyllum Elizabeth Anne 'Buckleberry' Am/AOS. This is my plant blooming a while back but it was another that I had to divide up after it filled the basket I had it growing in. These photos are quite old and I don't use this account any longer.

Bulbophyllum Elizabeth Anne \'Buckelberry\'

The big thing to consider with orchids is their temperature tolerances. If it gets hot where you are in the summer avoid cool growers because they stress easily. Andy's has great plants but don't try growing them on the sticks unless you have incredibly high humidity to offer. I have one Bulbo on a stick from Andy's and even though it's in the orchid case it needs daily water and still it does not grow as well as it should.

I will have to check the plants that are about to bloom and see how they are doing, maybe I will be able to take some photos this weekend.

Mike

o

Today I went to the market to buy some sea food and I saw nice orchides, I took pictures just to post here. The quality is not good because I took from my cell phone

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

Mike,

I took those pictures specially for you! I hope you enjoy it.

o

Thanks Mitzicos. :)

I have only grown a Cattleya once but they are not my kind of orchid. I have been growing orchids for quite a while and I have a very particular taste and then only species. There is one Cattleya species that lives in your area of Brazil that I would like to grow and it's called Cattleya forbesii but it's not big and colourful like the ones in your photos. I do grow some Brassavola species from Brazil as well.
Do you grow any orchids? It would be nice to grow them on a tree out in the garden if you have one.

Mike

o

Mike,

I grow some orchids at the farm, but I don't really know them well. My mom uses to grow and she knew a lot about them. All my orchids are in trees. I'll look the one you told. I love orchids but I don't know its names and species as we have inumerous species here.

o

Don't know if I'm helping or or adding to the confusion by posting this Kelly, but the link, assuming I did it correctly, will take you to some pics I recently took at an orchid show.

:)

Here is a link that might be useful: from an orchid show

o

Now I'm just TOTALLY overwhelmed! Thanks for all of the pictures! Definitely think at some point I'll get a Bulbo and, and, and I don't know what else!

Will have to start watching ebay!

o

Here is another Bulbophyllum in bloom. This is Bulbo puchellum and it's an easy grower and bloomer. The blooms develop little beads of liquid and seem to sparkle. The little bright yellow lip rocks back and forth in the breeze.

Bulbophyllum puchellum

My Bulbophyllum bandischii was just about to open a bloom but this morning the bud had wilted. I had been walking on eggshells waiting for this one to finally bloom but the wait continues.
Here is a link just in case mine never actually opens a bud.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Bulbo bandischii

o

Those are beautiful, Mike! Was looking at ebay this morning - there's one grower that has Aerangis biloba, Oncidium Twinkle and Masdevallia infracta which I think are all cool growing/shade loving species for decent prices. Are those relatively easy to grow?

Paul, tried to look up my existing orchids and it looks like they are all warm to intermediate growers? Surprised the one is blooming as it's on an enclosed porch right now that's about 55-60 degrees and 35% humidity!

Kelly

o

Found pots for cool growing orchids -looks interesting!

Here is a link that might be useful: Cool pots for orchids

o

As far as Aerangis goes biloba is one of the easy ones but as a genus they are not easy plants to grow. If you do get one I can let you know if it is a species that wants a rest or one that wants constant moisture all year. High humidity helps but growing Aerangis in a pot is not easy and using a cork mount is a better choice. You can mount the plant and then put the bottom of the mount in a pot with sphagnum or bark and that way the plant can send roots down if it wants more moisture.
Masdevaiila is beyond me although I do grow a warm growing Pleurothallis species. These are fussy orchids and water quality is very important.
The Oncidium hybrid should be an easy one.

You can make pots for cool growers by using two clay pots with the orchid potted in moss in the smaller center pot and the space between the inner and outer pot filled with perlite. As long as you keep both pots moist the evaporation will cool the orchids roots.

Mike

o

Was looking at ebay this morning - there's one grower that has Aerangis biloba, Oncidium Twinkle and Masdevallia infracta which I think are all cool growing/shade loving species for decent prices. Are those relatively easy to grow?

Paul, tried to look up my existing orchids and it looks like they are all warm to intermediate growers? Surprised the one is blooming as it's on an enclosed porch right now that's about 55-60 degrees and 35% humidity!

Kelly

I would agree with Mike about Masdies -- many are cool growers (if not out right cold growers) and can be rather fussy as he puts it. There are some warm tolerant hybrids and relatively warm growing species out there. Tap water would be a no-no for them.

A. biloba, is a warm grower if memory serves me as is the Onc Twinkle. Do keep in mind too, Kelly, that "shade loving" is a matter of degree. Often what we consider shade is too dim for many shade plants. Bright indirect light is often better for even shade lovers that you would like to have bloom.

Warm to intermediate growers are often easiest for many folks. And even with those, cooler temps do sometimes seem to be the ticket for triggering a blooming cycle. Phalanopsis oft times fall into this category.

Are there any orchid growers in an acceptable driving distance for you, Kelly? This might give you an opportunity to check out some different plants in person. I would expect there is likely an orchid society somewhere around you too. They can be great places to find out from folks in your area what grows well for them and to get advice or help if you have questions.

o

I love aerangis, but let me warn you... they do seem to have some pretty specific requirements in order to be happy, and are the whole reason I got into growing in orchid cases in the first place. They need coolish temps, high humidity, and good air circulation. Some more than others. I got an Aerangis citrata, watched it decline, then learned more about it, and realized it was a poor candidate for a potted windowsill orchid. Sheets of acrylic, acrylic cement, a computer fan, lights, a timer, a bag of Hydroton, and a construction project later, I had an orchid case to grow the little fella in. Biloba is the one that is most likely to be able to be grown outside of a case successfully, but I haven't personally tried it. Mine is in my case, and has bloomed in there. I love masdies, but I know my room gets too warm for them. I already have problems with the 75 degree max temp that I aim for with the various aerangis mounties I grow.

I totally find it worthwhile, but I'm just warning you in case you DIDN'T want to end up with big glass cases filled with orchids right now :)

o

Thanks for the warnings and suggestions! Maybe I'll try just the biloba for now...or maybe I'll wait until it's warmer and shipping isn't an issue...

I do have one case now (just got it for Christmas) for a couple of hoyas...could always add some orchids to it!

o

Well, if you ever need more aerangis suggestions, I've got em! Ha ha. An angraecoid, but not an aerangis: Angraecum didieri is a lovely one. I am growing a mounted one, and NOT in a case, and it has done well (until recently, since, as I said, I neglected my plants the past cpl months). This is one that I actually would not grow in a case, I killed the first one by growing it in a case, as it preferred to dry out more between waterings than it did.

o

Quinn I used to grow that Angraecum species as well, had one for years but then it died on me. I recently lost a huge Angraecum scottianum after I tried moving it from an old rotted basket to a mount, should never of messed with its roots because Angraecums are notorious for dieing after than kind of treatment.
Here it is blooming a few years ago. I grew this from a seedling and it was over 10 years old when it died, RIP Angraecum scottianum.

Angraecum scottianum

Does anyone have Joyce Stewart's book on Angraecoids? If you don't it is well worth the price if you like these orchids.

I have another orchid in bloom, a tiny Phalenopsis species but I have yet to take its photo, maybe tomorrow.

This is not an orchid but a Gesneriad,an African Violet relative. I have just started growing these plants and have joined the Gesneriad Society, hopefully this does not become another plant addiction because there are some very interesting plants in this group. I don't grow many hybrid plants but I did get rhizomes of four hybrid Kohlerias this past fall. This cheery little bloom belongs to Kohleria Perdiots Potlatch.

Kohleria Perdiots Potlatch

Mike

o

I DO have that book. It is enjoyable. That is a shame about that Ang. scottianum. My Ang. didieri is still doing ok but could be plumper. I need to try and keep it watered better until it recovers, then go back to letting it dry between waterings. I've considered trying a kohleria but I haven't been having great luck with non AV gessies. Maybe someday, when I feel less overwhelmed space wise.

o

I used to soak my mounted plant for about half and hour so that they can take in as much moisture as they need and then hang them up in their usual spot to dry off. Angraecum didieri was one that hated having anything around its roots, just a bare mount.

I find that Kohleria want a lot of light. Kohleria amabilis is a nice smaller species that can do better with less sun, any of the forest floor sp or their hybrids. I grow many of my more delicate Gesneriads in a covered propitiation dome. My other Kohlerias are mostly large plants and will not bloom until they are aroung a foot tall, Perdiots Potlatch is only a little over six inches tall.

This is my last orchid that is currently blooming. Phalaenopsis parishii is a mini Phal sp. that is found from India to Myanmar. This plant was sold to me as the very rare Phalaenopsis lowii so I was very excited for it to bloom, it's nice but not for the price I paid.

Phalaenopsis parishii plant

Now I just need to get my Hoyas to blooming.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: What I thought I had, Phal lowii

o

My Sinningia eumorpha Saltao is in bloom. I think this Sinningia has the most exotic looking foilage.

Sinningia eumorpha Saltao

A few Hoyas are budding up so hopefully I will be able to add some Hoya flower photos soon.

Mike

o

Oh my, that's quite impressive. I'm surprised I like those glossy leaves so much. Usually, when I'm deciding on Gesneriads, my sentiment is: the fuzzier the better. In fact, whenever I get an especially downy one (like several of my Nautilocalyx or most Kohlerias) I feel soooo tender toward them*.

But that Sinningia is just as classically shiny-sweet as a pair of Mary Janes.

Okay, maybe that wasn't the most flattering description, but I really like Mary Janes!

*Kohleria 'Silver Feather' was torn limb from limb this morning by my cat.... I found her in a fractured and tattered heap on the floor next to her root ball. I just about had a tearful funeral ceremony over the dumpster omw to work. Even though she has a dozen surviving babies, it was just so sad.

o

Oh no that's terrible that your Kohleria got roughed up by yor cat. You should check and see if there are any rhizomesin the pot before you toss it. I have found that Kohleria cuttings root very easily as well.
I have Kohleria Snake Skin which is similar to Silver Feather but there is less pronounced silver veining on the leaves. As nice as some cats are I will never own another because of their plant trashing habits.

Mike

o

Beautiful, Mike!

GG, so sorry about your Kohleria! Hope, like Mike said, you're able to root a part of it!

Kelly

o

Hey, my cats don't trash my plants. Though I do usually group them en masse so that a cat cannot even fit on the shelf. Also, bitter apple spray and lemon essential oil do a lot to repel cats.

Kelly, by any chance you want to try an Aerangis modesta seedling? It likes humidity cases, and if you add a computer fan to the mix, it should be happy. I have too many. I have a hard time letting them go, too. I want them to find nice homes. It's almost like having kittens or puppies to find homes for, ha.

o

I would love to try a Aerangis modesta seedling! Will send you an email!

o

Whoops! Can't find where to send you an email. I think you can email me from the My Page.

Question about the computer fan...Do you wire it to plug into a regular outlet? Or get a USB one and an adapter?

Thanks!

o

Kelly I used an aquarium cooling fan system for my orchid case and you can even get a transformer that allows you to control the speed of the fans. My kit came with two fans and an AC adapter.

I found this inexpensive kit on Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Red-Sea-Max-Cooling-Fan-Kit-2-5-Aquarium-Cooler-/320539081279?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aa19e3a3f

Mike

o

Thanks for the link, Mike! That's what I'll be getting then!
I'm pretty excited with the pre-planning!
Terrarium - check
Light - check
Fan - on the way
Mount....hmmmm....I have a couple of Swamp Sticks left (the terracotta hollow mounts), also have a couple of smaller bark mounts and I just purchased a couple of hollow bamboo pieces (pet store)...

Any thoughts?

o

Bamboo is too smooth but the swamp stick or bark will work well. I use cork for my Angraecoids. My little Aerangis is about to bloom but I forgot to water it for a few days and half the buds dried up. I really do have too many plants, either that or I need to get a misting system for my orchid case. LOL

Mike

o

Huh. Somewhere along the way, the Send me an email box got unchecked. How irritating. That's why I haven't been getting any email notifications about new posts, I guess. I did buy a computer fan and wire it to plug into a regular outlet. It isn't really hard. However, if you only need one, and can find one that requires you to do the least amount of work, then by all means, go for it!

I'd probably send you an already mounted one. The one I am looking at from here has a wooden slab mount, that is thin enough that when it grows more, you can just attach it to a larger mount if you want, without detaching it. Aerangis tends to hate having its roots disturbed, though I've done it here and there with no ill effects.

o

Thanks for the well wishes on the Kohleria. I just threw out the ... leaves and stem and such. The rootball is still in the pot, in the same cat-attracting locale. I was just depressed to throw out all those years worth of growth. You're right, Kohleria are easy to propagate and almost indestructable due to their cutest-root-system-in-the-entire-universe!

I swear, if I had brains that snuggly, I wouldn't need a skull.

o
RE: It's a Bloom...but not a hoya... 3

UPDATE:

I just had an epiphany. I now know why I like Kohleria rhizomes so much! Yes, they remind me of worms, but normally I am not attracted to worms. But these worms are fuzzy, in fact, they bear a marked resemblance to another long-forgotten fuzzy worm.

The Sesame Street Worm.

How can you say no to that?

Let's compare again:

Kohleria rhizome

vs

Sesame Street Worm

I'm onto something here, right?

o

That Sesame St. worm is so cute. Check out the Kohleria rhizome photo I linked to.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Amazing Kohleria rhizomes

o

Whoa! Maybe I need to grow these. In a clear pot! Those are cool.

o

One of my Hoya relatives in blooming for the first time, this is still just a single growth plant since I just got it this fall. It is unusual the the flower has only four points instead of the usual five, maybe the next blooms will have all five.

Tridentia chaonna

Tridentia chaonna

Mike

o

Mike,so nice I love how cute the flowers are . I want to try to grow these type of plants but cant seem to find any around my area.

Cindy

o

Cindy mine come from all over the place but I have never seen them in Canada other than a chance find at Ikea in their mixed succulents. Paul Shirley Succulents has a great selection but they are only available in late spring until fall. The US has good sources but it`s much easier to get plants from overseas.

Mike

o

Very cool! When my fungii has bloomed it has consistently had at least one 4 point bloom! Always find that interesting!
Hoya fungii

o

I think it's neat as well but I do like the five pointed flowers more even though they are not symmetrical.

Mike

o

I have another Galeanrda orchid flowering right now although not as colourful as the last one. This is Galeandra leptoceras and it was an import from Ecugenera a little over a year ago. The plant is still very small so there is only a single flower.

Galeandra leptoceras side view

Mike

o

I have another plant flowering and couldn't resist posting a photo. This is the Sinningia I started with(seed) and it's flowering for the first time, an unknown hybrid.

Sinningia hybrid unknown

Mike

o

Mike,
Those are beautiful!

o

Beautiful and fascinating Sinningia, Mike. Aren't these just the cutest before their blooms unfurl? It's like a messy little bundle of pillowy bedding suspended from a peduncle.

o

Thanks Kelly :)

GG that is just what I was thinking although your description sounds much nicer than the buncked up purple sock I had in mind. LOL

Mike

o

lol!!

My description might be prettier, but yours is extremely apt.

o

Well not much going on with the Hoyas other than Hoya lacanosa Ruby Sue which has a few peduncles blooming and yellow Hoya heuschkeliana has a nice group of buds developing.

Seeing as there are no Hoya flowers to post I thought I would add a few shots of some other plants that are blooming around the apartment today. I procrastinated a little too long and a couple of new orchids that were purchased in bud have since bloomed but hopefully they will bloom again this summer.

Kohleria Monet's Garden is a pretty big hybrid and my plant is flowering at close to two feet high. The flowers are large and the plant puts on quite a show.

Kohleria Monet's Garden pair of flowers

Kohleria Monet's Garden side view

Kohleria Monet's Garden

That little Sinningis hybrid surprised me by developing many buds and it has been holding onto the blooms for a nice long show.

Sinningia Hybrid full bloom

Sinningia hybrid flowers

Sinningia side view 2

Mike

o

This thread got me thinking about an orchid I saw many years ago in California. I visited the fields of flowers in Carlsbad and in the gift area was a little deep purple orchid. I wanted to take it home with me but my Mother-in-law said I couldn't take it on the plane. The plant was about 6-8" tall and the flower reminded me of a Phal. but almost black b/c it was so purple.

Any thoughts on what it might be? Even some guesses might get me on the right track. It didn't occur to me until this evening that I could still own that orchid!

o

That makes me think of Phalaenopsis Black Butterfly. I bet if you look at one of the big US nurseries you could find the plant you are thinking of. The Orchid House site lists vendors by country.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: The Orchid House

o

LOVE the Kohleria Monet's Garden! At some point I'm going to have to get a Kohleria!

Thanks for posting!

o

K. 'Monet's Garden' is very very cute. You really captured the fuzziness well, especially in the first photo. All my Kohlerias have warm red and orange blossoms, so I've often eyed this cultivar, or others like it. But, I don't really know that I have room for more than 3 of these guys. On the other hand, I've never regretted a Kohleria. Somehow, they are just very warm and enthusiastic plants.

Your Sinningia is beautiful, too. I like the compact branching growth habit.

o

Just reread this after seeing GG's post....2 feet high? Is this normal?!?! Wow! What size pot is it in?

o

2' tall is not atypical. I have to say mine are a bit shorter, though. Maybe 1.5+? They start blooming before they reach that height.

I tend to repot the babies and give them away, so as to control the horizontal size, so I keep mine in 4" azalea pots and they fit right in amidst my vertically growing Hoyas.

o

There are some small Kohlerias but this is a very stately plant with big purple leaves and mine is at least two feet tall and just getting going as far as flowering goes. Some Kohlerias are pretty big but often that translates into big flowers so it's worth it. I grow mine in 4" pots but they need water every day or two so they will be potted up into bigger pots once I can move some stuff outside. Getting a Kohleria's foliage wet is a bad idea so I will have to plan placement carefully if they go outside.
I have Kohleria allenii seedlings right now and I am very excited to grow this species. At the other end of the size spectrum is my little Kohleria amabillis with it's beautiful mottled foliage, can you tell I really like these plants? LOL

Thanks GG, I am usually not one for hybrids but I could not resist these Kohlerias. There really is a huge variety of bloom colour and the leaves are often just as nice, your Silver Feather is an amazing one for foliage.
I just potted up about a dozen other Gesneriads and last night and I have double that amount left but I ran out of pots. I wish I could send plants across the boarder because I would love to share these.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Kohleria allenii

o

I wish you could send them across the border, too! Who's a good source in the states? Didn't see many on ebay unless they go by another name as well.

GG, can you post another pick of your silver feather?

Mike, do you have a picture of the Monet's Garden's leaves?

Thanks!

o

Mike I agree you'll have to be careful about their location. They don't seem to mind being misted, though, so I think summer rain will be okay, as long as we avoid a cold spray. I think I'm going to just stick a few of the babies in a pot and experiment with locations. If they get rough looking, I'll just harvest rhizomes and restart them next summer.

I really wish you could send your little dudes across the border, too! For that matter, I wish I could send mine across the border! No one I know IRL seems to know how to respond to a plant offer. Even people who 5 minutes ago were 'complaining' about not having any plants shy away. Apparently everyone thinks a couple houseplants are the equivalent of taking on a Great Pyrenees puppy or a second husband (Editor's note: These are commonly considered synonymous).

Kelly, I don't think I have any pictures of my 'Silver Feather' on Flickr, but this is it.

Another one that I have really enjoyed is 'Bristol's Possibly Bronze', which really does put out quite a few multicolored leaves.

I got mine from Violet Barn and they might be a good place for you to start your search because they have a strong preference for plants with compact growth habits. They usually note which of their cultivars have this quality. They'll send you a plant that's about 4" tall, and it will shoot up a foot in a month. :P

Of course, I have a swarm of baby 'Silver Feathers' if you want me to send you one. ^_^

Another good thing about Kohlerias is that they go dormant in stressful conditions, falling back to their little rhizomes, so if you think you've killed it, just water and be patient, and it will resurrect. You probably gathered that much from the way Mike sticks his in his closet with his flip flops over the winter >_>

o
RE: It's a Bloom...but not a hoya...2

Oh! I forgot to mention! (Is that even possible with how long my post was?)

Kohleria allenii looks A MAZ ING! I'm totally jealous, Mike.

o

Violet Barn is a great source for Gesneriads and they have a good selection of Kohlerias.
I will try to get a photo of some Kohleria leaves and post them here.

Mike

o

If you're in the mood for something with a similar look, but short and squat, maybe you'd also want to consider an Episcia?

Here's Episcia 'Metallica,' which is blooming now:

Episcia 'Metallica'

Episcia 'Metallica'

o

Cute plant!

Mike

o

OH, the choices! Saw several on Violet Barn I like! Wonder why there aren't more on ebay? I want Mike's Monet's Garden...Am going to check Googele maps to see how far Ontario is from here!

Do like the silver leaf one as well!

Kelly

o

Kelly Kohlerias are pretty common on Ebay during the summer or fall. People divide, repot and store the rhizomes and then sell them but this time of year many are just starting to grow. I started my plants from rhizomes last fall so they take a little while to get to the blooming stage.

My plant should be Kohleria Jardin de Monet but I anglicized the name by accident, woops!

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Kohleria Jardin du Monet Video on Youtube

o

LOL Their website is kind of hard to navigate, even after they updated it. They have Mike's Kohleria.

Here is a link that might be useful: K. 'Jardin du Monet'

o

Woo Hoo! I'll be getting one!

This will be the last time I look at a non-hoya thread again....whoops, I started this one, didn't I?

Oh, well....what's one more plant, right?

o
RE:: It's a Bloom...but not a hoya.....

Hmmmm....just realized I'm totally opposed to paying for shipping for one plant and besides aren't you suppose to buy plants in three's? Or maybe it's your suppose to plant them in threes... Anyhow if anyone has another recommendation or two from the Violet Barn, let me know!

o
RE:: :It's a Bloom...but not a hoya...

Mike,
Keep forgetting to ask you- I got the fan you recommended. Turns out I'll be converting a 55 gallon aquarium to a terrarium in month or so. Will put the orchid baby I'm getting from quinn in there and the hypolasia which you said likes air movement as well...may move imbricata and the others plants I have in the betta aquarium in there as well. Should I get a couple of more fans? Think 2 or 3 would be sufficient?

Thanks!
Kelly

o

Petrocosmeas! They take up almost no space, so they don't count, right? They send up a little thicket of flowers on long necks when they bloom. It's like having a fairy circle on your shelf.

Petrocosmea Forrestii, Fluffernutter (Side)

And let me tell you about a little Begonia named 'Maid Marion,' which I have killed three times but still want to try again.

She is a hundred shades of pink, purple, and silver, with a jagged star of a leaf whorled into a snail shell spiral, richly furred with pink fuzz and hairy edges and a spectacular display of metallic pink AND silver speckles. When I die, I expect to be diving into a tunnel that looks like the leaves of 'Maid Marion.' And keep in mind that I am not a girlie girl and I don't like pink, and I know it is ridiculous to want a plant to be glittery. And yet this little thing is still irresistible to me.

Do they not do the find-the-corgi-for-a-free-plant thing anymore? Well, you can get a free strep anyway, so don't forget that!

Here is a link that might be useful: Petrocosmeas

o

Kelly I use two fan in my orchid case that hang in the middle and blow in opposite directions. I think two is sufficient and you might get away with just one as well because you just need gentle air movement.
I am a big fan of Chiritias and if Columnea microphylla was not out of stock I would insist that you get that plant. Gloxinella lindeniana is a great plant,mine is about to burst into bloom and although it turned out to be anything but a mini I love it for the beautiful foliage. I will have to do a photo shoot with that one some time soon.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Gloxinella lindeniana

o

I love Chiritas too! I went through a phase where I acquired every one VB had (at that time), and now that they are all growing to their full sizes, I don't know what to do. xD Tamiana, Little Dragon and sp. Viet Nam are all cute and small. Except you have to give Tamiana good light or she grows leggy. ALL my other Chiritas grow and bloom in a northern exposure, well back from the window, since that's the only spot I had for them. So, it's a good option if your Hoyas are taking up all the sun.

I don't have C. microphylla, but I do have C. 'Gold Heart' and the picture makes it look a lot larger than it is. Those leaves are about 5mm across. Very very cute and a good grower.

If it wasn't out of stock, I'd also recommend C. orientandina!

I'm doing a little vicarious shopping through you at this point. I HAVE made a VB wish list this year, but I keep telling myself no.

Here is a link that might be useful: C. orientandina

o

Last time I looked, they were still doing that find the corgi, get a free plant thing. I have noticed that now and again, they don't. Maybe during times that they don't want to give away a plant? This is the about the time of year that people start placing all their orders; I think I've noticed that they take that offer off during the early spring before. Also, it is sometimes super frustrating to find the corgi! Sheer stubbornness is the only thing that made me keep looking, otherwise, I'd have realized that there were better things to do with my time. And that I probably was better off just ordering an extra plant :)

o

Thanks for the suggestions! This going to be a tough decision. Figure I have another week to wait for when their shipping goes down from express.

What's the find the corgi-get-a-free-plant deal? At first I thought this was a reference to our previous discussion about trading the lamb for the burmanica (those burmanica pictures COULD have been yours, GG!)!

o

/Quinn LOL I am extremely stubborn about the corgi. I have a whole system and everything. It does seem that they are most often in the instructional or awards sections, although I've also found them in the Hoya section several times, which makes me feel like Hoyas are considered the rejects of the site.

/Kelly Normally, they hide a picture of their two Welsh Corgis somewhere on the site and if you include the caption that's under the picture in your order form, they'll give you a free plant. You can even request the type (but not the specific plant). There's normally a blurb about it somewhere on the homepage, and I saw it somewhere even after they remodeled the website, but I can't see it now, so I think Quinn's right and they took it down for busy season. However, they DO have a 'weekly free plant' where you have to write a review. It's at the top of the store homepage.

LOL I didn't realize I could get a WHOLE blooming burmanica for the price of one lamb! And here I was all set to trade it for a mere cutting! :P My mom's right! The price of lambs is up this year!

Here is a link that might be useful: (THIS page)

o

I normally found them in the FAQ section, sometimes in the kohleria section, and other times in the library section, at the bottom of one of their articles or stories. When did they get a cart system? I never saw that before. I haven't ordered from them in a while. I almost literally have African violets coming out my ears. THIS is why you do not start every leaf that you remove from your AVs when grooming them, or the leaves that get knocked off for whatever reason... you soon have more and more to figure out a place for. And when you think you have them all settled in, you realize that your collection consists of standards and they will all triple in size! Yikes. Anyway, yes, I haven't ordered from them in a while, and the last time I did it was still the order form that you emailed to them.

I'll do myself a favor and not check out their site today :)

o

It was... last fall, I think? I haven't ordered from them since the old form either.

Is it wrong that my head goes:

Voice 1: Let's see if Quinn will send us some of those broken leaves!

Voice 2: Close your head, Doll. You don't have no room, see? We're going to blow those Gessie fellows down once the Liddle deal comes through.

Lacking a DH, my voice of reason is naturally an imaginary Prohibition gangster.

o

Kelly I thought I would post this for you because your mother was interested in another plant from the genus Ornithogalum. This is Ornothogalum dubium and I was happy to find it available at one of the large local greenhouses. This is the only time of year you really see this plant available so I made sure to get one. I am going to try to get seed from my plant so that I can eventually have a nice pot full of this bulb.

Ornithogalum dubium

Mike

o

Thanks, Mike! That's gorgeous! I'll be sure to show her!

o

Me again with yet another non-Hoya flower. This is Kohleria warszewiczii, just starting to bloom but with many more buds on the way.

Kohleria warszewiczii

Mike

o

Mike, very pretty.I love purple colored flowers.

Cindy

o

Mike,
It's beautiful! I waited to order from Violet Barn until after they could something other than expedited shipping and they were sold out of the Monet! Will keep checking back!

o

Thanks Cindy and Kelly.

Kelly that's too bad that Jardin du Monet was sold out but I think it's worth waiting until it's back in stock. My single growth plant has 22 flowers open right now although some are getting a little withered. The Violet barn has a really nice selection of Kohlerias though so lots to choose from.

Mike

o

There's some really awesome and unique NON hoya blooms here. So Pretty!

I have one to share that has a really cool bloom. I just recently got this a couple of weeks ago...I love the unusual bloom and the pretty leaves.

o

Is that a Drymonia? It kinda reminds me of an Impatiens sp. as well, pretty neat looking.

Mike

o

That is a very neat flower! It reminds me of an Impatiens of some sort (or a relative thereof) too.

o

I have Gesneriads on the brain lately, anyways I think your plant is actually Impatiens morsei. I love it!
I used to have a small collection of epiphytic Impatiens but they all died while I was on a camping trip, many are really unforgiving if they dry out.

Mike

o

Oops...sorry I forgot to mention the name Yes, Mike and Paul you're both right its Impatiens morsei 'velvet love'...I love the cute little blooms too!

o

Very pretty. You're right, the leaves are quite striking! ^_^

o

I love the leaves too GG! It reminds me a little of Poinsettia leaves.

o

My Kohleria 'Manchu' is blooming for the first time and there's something about the color and spotting that really grabs my eye from across the room, even though it's tucked at the back of the shelf.

Kohleria 'Manchu' [side]

This one has very beautiful leaves that are hard to describe. They have this subtle bruised purple that spreads outward from the veining and gives the leaves a dappled look. It is somehow reminiscent of a beautiful antique medical drawings.

Kohleria 'Manchu' [wide view]

Also, as long as we're on very small triumphs my Streptocarpus 'Bristol's Sixth Sense' is blooming. It's not a very impressive display for a Strep, but since I killed almost all of my Streps in my move last Aug, I'm beside myself every time one blooms.

Streptocarpus 'Bristol's Sixth Sense'

Thanks for looking. ^_^

o

Oh! I meant to post this too. I found this Kohleria 'Manchu' hummingbird feeder while I was looking up other people's pictures of this plant. I thought you'd be amused, Mike, since you've been tinkering with your plot to lure hummingbirds with Kohleria (among other plants) lately.

o

Those are both beautiful but I am partial to the Kohleria, then again you probably already knew that would be the case. I am bidding on a Kohleria Manchu rhizome right now so hopefully I will win it.

I did see those hummingbird feeders on Etsy but they are $$$$ so I will just admire the craftsmanship. Hopefully the hummers like the real thing just as well and the wind does not leave me with a bunch of tattered Gesneriads. LOL

Mike

o

I LOVE those blooms GG...very pretty!!

o

It's Kohleria time once again! This is Kohleria SnakeSkin blooming. This is a nice compact grower with foliage that develop some silver accents.

Kohleria Snake Skin plant

Kohleria Snake Skin bloom

A flower bud from the same plant.

Kohleria Snake Skin flower bud

This is another photo of Kohleria Peridots Potlatch that I really like. I think this photo shows the fuzzy flowers well.

Kohleria Peridots Potlatch fuzzy flower

Mike

o

Oh Mike! Great bud photo. I don't know why I never thought to photograph these, but your picture is just the best!!

I also like the way you're letting Snakeskin grow as it will - it looks pretty cool that way. I never know what to do with Kohleria, other than to roll them when they get too gangly, so I usually stake mine.

That Peridots Potlatch photo is great too. I think if anyone ever asks me "Why Kohleria?" I will just show them that exact image.

o

GG I just could not resist photographing that bud. I find it so cool that the flower seem to start out completely inside out and then slowly unfurl.
I like the compact growers but I do have my share of sprawlers that need some taming. I wonder how some of the weak stemmed growers would look in a hanging basket?

Mike

o

Love the description of them starting inside out. Exactly so.

That's a great idea. I hadn't thought to do that, but apparently people do. Here's hirsuta. Apparently 'Dark Velvet' is a favorite for baskets, too, which is interesting since I was considering adding this to an order I'm putting together.

Here is a link that might be useful: K. hirsuta

o

I like the look of the more compact growers when they are allowed to just do their thing. Plantings like the one in that photo really allow the plants to develop multiple flowering growths and they make more of an impact that way.

I have decided that I am going to try at least one tall growing Kohleria in a big 12" or larger pot for the summer. I am torn between my Kohleria spicata when it arrives or Kohleria Trinidad because I think the hummingbirds would probably appreciate both. I can only imagine how many rhizomes I could harvest after allowing a Kohleria that much room to grow for a summer.

Mike

o

I really like that look, too. I'm going to have to follow that philosophy with my compact growers.

I was looking up spicata vs Trinidad and have you seen this flickr account? Too fun.

Gesneriaceae-Kohleria spicata (Kunth) Oerst._5
Source: Fundación Jardín Botánico Nacional de Viña del's photostream

I stuck my original pot of 'Silver Feather' out on the balcony and since it's a mass of rhizomes at this point, it must have 20+ baby plants popping up... so far. I think I'll need to transplant it into a bigger pot soon, but I think it will be crazy by the end of the summer. I totally agree that you are going to have a lot of rhizomes on your hands.

Incidentally, I got this order of Episcias (and a couple Streps) in from Out of Africa, and I had to post pictures, because only we Hoya people, who spend hundreds of dollars on a cereal box full of survival-challenged unrooted cuttings... only WE could appreciate how truly deeply and utterly spoiled Gesneriad people are.

Out of Africa 110513 1

Doesn't it look like I'm about to have a baby shower here?

Out of Africa 110513 2

lol... and I didn't even have to find a Corgi to get a free plant! You should have seen me shaking my head in baffled amazement.

o

My first Hoya order of the year seems to have been lost in the mail so I have very little hope in seeing anything green when that package finally arrives. I can hardly believe that Gesneriad order though, so neat and tidy and the plants are big and healthy. My Hoyas are going to start getting jealous if I keep on this Gesneriad kick. LOL

I believe that Kohleria Trinidad was once though to be Kohleria hirsuta but now you see it listed as just Kohleria Trinidad. Many people believe that it is a naturally occurring hybrid which is very common wherever Kohlerias sp rages overlap.

Even though people think Kohleria spicata is a weed I just love that plant for some reason and I have not even grown it yet. Thanks for that Flickr photostream.

Mike

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hoya Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here