Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plumerias_gw

Help my beloved hoya...

plumerias
9 years ago

This hoya is my favorite plant. It used to be so lush and bloomed all the time, all year round and gave off a beautiful smell.. It's about 3 years old I think.
Sadly, it's gone through a series of unfortunate events, and I *think* it's also becoming malnourished. I'll go through the points in the order that they happened.

1. About a year ago, I moved it from my parent's apartment (very warm and sunny all the time) to my studio at school (mildly warm, but my window does not face the sun). I think that shocked it and made it drop all it's peduncles.. sigh. That was OK, as long as my plant was healthy. A handful of the leaves also began to turn yellow and fall off.

2. Over the summer, I was away, so my mom watered my plants. She had the brilliant idea to place my hanging hoya in a pot, so it sat in a little bit of water. This caused the hanging vines to send out roots because of the water (like when you propagate a cutting...). I'm certain this drained a good amount of the plant's energy. I cut off the roots and scraggly bits the best I could.

3. It's been about a year now, the plant is slowly receding. It used to have a good amount of 12 inch long vines, and gradually over time, the leaves fell off one by one. Now several vines have a single leaf left at the end and the vines are turning yellow, about to fall off. Also, the shorter vines are turning yellow at the tips. My plant is shrinking!

I began foliage feeding with dyna-gro foliage pro at a small dose because I've never fed a plant before and I'm scared I'll over fertilize too quickly. I used the foliage feeding dose in a spray bottle and I was misting it as well as pouring a bit into the soil when I watered it. I'm thinking that I should bring the plant back to my parent's apartment because there's so little light here.

Other than the obvious receding and leaves falling off here and there, parts of the plant look normal and healthy, although the leaves are a bit small. Since I began fertilizing, there has been a little growth, HOWEVER, the new leaves are very thin/slightly curled and are flat, not plump like the old ones.

Thank you for reading my lengthy investigative post. Let me know if I'm doing the right things. I'd hate to lose this plant. I'll try and post pictures soon.

Comments (11)

• greentoe357
    9 years ago

Yeah, a picture or a few would help. A lot.

It sounds like the roots may be compromised in your plant or part of the plants if there are several in the pot. But it also sounds that you can save it, because there are healthy vines, you say. Check by unpotting it - there should be white firm roots in there. If not, then you need to take cuttings and re-root it. Photograph that root ball for us if you do not trust your own opinion entirely.

Also check the soil itself. If it's mucky, smells bad or retains water too long, then you might need to repot even if the roots are healthy. How soon does the soil dry out almost completely after you water the plant thoroughly? If it's still wet more than a week after you watered generously, then the mix needs to retain less water. The simplest most accessible way to achieve that is probably to add perlite to a mix - but we can talk more about that if that turns to be a problem. Bark chips or hydroponic medium can also work - they probably work even better than perlite, actually, unless perlite is very coarse (not common). Post pics of your mix as well.

I would probably stop fertilizing. Only healthy plants that are growing and that get all the good stuff (light, water, airflow, temps) should be fertilized. Fertilizer can never heal a dying plant, and it is more likely to make things worse in many cases, especially when roots are dead. Do post pictures though - I may be wrong on this advice, as I am going by your words only.

New leaves being thin and small is actually OK (but again, post pics, I may change my mind once I see them). That is how they get large and plump and firm - by first growing small and limp and thin. :-)

It's hoya carnosa, I assume?

• plumerias
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's the soil (sorry, I'm not sure how to add multiple photos, so I'll do a series of posts). It doesn't smell bad/rotting. It's usually about a week to two weeks between waterings, depending on if it's summer or winter. I usually let it dry most of the way and bring it to the sink to water thoroughly.

This post was edited by plumerias on Fri, Jan 16, 15 at 20:00

• plumerias
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Awkward looking new leaf? Paper thin, maybe it's normal like you said.

• plumerias
    Original Author
    9 years ago

One of the yellowing vines that previously had leaves.

• plumerias
    Original Author
    9 years ago

A yellowing tip.

• plumerias
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yellowing/discolored leaf

• plumerias
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Overall plant! I have no idea what kind of hoya it is.

Thanks for all your help, greentoe :)

• greentoe357
    9 years ago

The roots look good to me. I would not repot, at least not in this season. The plant is not dying, I do not think, even though parts of it are.

I am not sure what kind of hoya it is. If I had to bet, I'd say lacunosa, but some leaves look like krohniana (which some say is a subspecies or a variety of lacunosa anyway).

That new leaf is indeed strange looking, but there's no reason to worry - hoyas produce out of character looking leaves (very large or very long or deformed) all the time.

It's normal for some vines and leaves to yellow and dry out, especially in the winter. Where are you, by the way? You might want to give it more light and warmth, if those things are lacking in your climate, or specifically in the micro-climate where it lives. I would not worry about the yellowing parts, unless much more of them would start yellowing. You can cut those parts off if it bugs you, or you could just let them dry off on their own.

Are all the yellowing parts on one side of the plant? I could not tell from the last picture. If they are, and if it's the shady side of the plant, then you know for sure it wants more light.

I hope others chime in - I do not have that much experience diagnosing plant problems.

• Denise
    9 years ago

This can be typical behavior for lacunosa, at least for me. It will go along and grow nicely, then I do something to make it mad - maybe let it get too dry, maybe water before it needs it, maybe it's too cold...who knows? And it does what yours is doing. Yellowing leaves, stems that die back. It frustrates me at times!

And BTW, it looks like you have a mix of lacunosa varieties in one pot. I'm not terribly familiar with a lot of them - you can find photos to compare in the link I'm providing. I grow krohniana, and it has never been temperamental like the other lacunosas I grow.

I'm sure the problem is just change of environment. The best thing you can do for it is to choose where it will grow and just leave it there. It'll adjust eventually, just give it time. Once it's happy again, it'll start to grow. This is one I have a lot of trouble propagating, so I usually just whack it back and let it restart if it gets to looking too straggly. It really doesn't look bad at all at this point, though I'm betting it was much fuller and to you, it's disappointing. Give it time...

Denise in Omaha

Here is a link that might be useful: Christina's Hoyas

• rexedwardfairy
    9 years ago

It looks like a lacunosa to me too. I am relatively new to hoyas (a year or two) and i have about 18 now. My lacunosa was the only hoya to perplex me - all the others were seriously well behaved, low maintenance. I treated them all the same (same growing area, some potting mix (al's 511 - they adore it), same watering, fertilising habits... everyone happy except the Lugubrious Lacunosa.

Then one day I happened to decide to feed them all ecoweed (seaweed feed that's fairly nutrient dense). They all liked it.

But wow...what Lacunosa did!... It had been sulking for months and months and months - getting paler-yellower-lime-coloured leaves by the week. Not putting out ANY new growth, dying back in parts. It didnt matter what I did to it, it kept on with this DYING BEHAVIOUR.

Two days after the ecoweed feed, Lacunosa was a new plant. DEEEP GREEN foliage, sitting up all pert, and putting out new growth. TWO DAYS.

So... ya never know - try a little seaweed solution of some sort I would. Because I"m telling you my lacunosa responded to NOTHING ELSE for an entire 18 months!

(yes now it gets a regular eco-weed drink and loves it).

• mimalf
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

So a mix of fish emulsion with seaweed would be good for hoyas?

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional
More Discussions