Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
klyde_gw

tell me about carnosa's

klyde
13 years ago

Feeling a bit chatty...

In the past I just didn't care for carnosa's as they are the only hoya that are as common as toast where I live. Then I saw a carnosa KQ at the local Safeway few months back and bought it as it was a nice specimen. Well that's how it usually starts isn't it? Next I saw a lovely carnosa of some sort at a wake I went to a month or so ago-not able to get a cutting as the lovely lady had passed on (RIP Aunt Alice). It had green leaves (of course) and very white young leaves. Can you tell me the name of that plant?

I picked up 3, 4-inch pots of carnosa at the local garden centre today (did I mention that I don't care for carnosa's) that have creamy yellow new growth. I was trying to get the very white leaved one, but this is what they had. It's pretty though. Not too sure of the name of this one.

So I guess I'm on a bit of a carnosa trip. Any thoughts on the different kinds of carnosa's - far out, fab flowers etc. I'd like to hear your thoughts...just don't steer me toward that Hindu rope. I cannot abide that sucker, looks like fortune cookies on a string. Well maybe that's a bit harsh, it is kind of cool...you see, this is how it goes with me. Well cheaper than Italian leather shoes...

Comments (4)

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

Hoya carnosa Krimson Princess has the most white of the varegated casnosa varieties, it's the one with the inner portion of the leaf being white vs Krimson Queen which has variegated leaf margins.

If you are thinking of ordering cuttings there are some other species form this section (section Hoya) of the genus that are interesting and have similar flowers.

Aleya's Garden has a good selection of Hoya carnosa varieties including the white flowered snowball, pink and dark pink/red flowered varieties. Some of the other Thai vendors/growers have varieties (Grey Ghost) that are uniformly covered in silver flecks so that the leaf looks like it's covered in silver dust.

Hoya fungii is a great one to look into if you like Hoya carnosa. There is also a pink/red flowered species (?) that is very similar to Hoya fungii but I can't remember where I saw it.

Hoya sp Doi Tung from Northern Thailand is probably in this section as well and it has beautiful leaves with prominent mid veins and stems covered in bristly hairs.

The species that is often sold as Hoya salweenica and is available from Paul Shirley as Hoya salweenica GPS 02074 is also a interesting species with smaller lance shaped leaves about 4" long by 1" wide. The leaves are sparsely covered in fine hairs but the stems are completely covered in soft short hairs. The white blooms look similar to Hoya carnosas.

Hoya pubicalyx is closely related to Hoya carnosa which is obvious from he flowers. I think that the Hoya pubicalyx varieties are even more interesting than those available of Hoya carnosa.

Hoya dasyantha is another one that is similar to Hoya carnosa and has white flowers and medium sized veined leaves.

The one species from this section that I want the most but can't seem to get my hands on is Hoya sp Kunming Kina/China or Hoya revolubilis. Having seen a friends plant made me realize that I really must have this Hoya, it's growth habit is just stunning. Overall the plant looks similar to Hoya salweenica but with much larger and more elongated leaves and the white flowers have a yellow corona vs the standard white with a red ring that is seen in salweenica and carnosa.

Mike

• Denise
    13 years ago

Klyde,

The one that gets all-white leaves IS 'KQ', so maybe the one you picked up at Safeway is 'KP'? And the all-white leaves always start out pink then turn white with age. 'KQ' has thin, white or cream margins, so if you had looked closely at the one with all white leaves, I'm sure you would have noticed the other leaves would have had some white/cream on the edges.

I agree with Mike - fungii is a good one to get. The flower balls are typically large. I had one a couple years ago with over 75 individual flowers! Another good one to get in the same genre is rubra. Not the variegated one they call rubra (which is one of the Queens), but the one Bob Smoley sells that's all green. It's similar to fungii and is an early/frequent bloomer.

Denise in Omaha

• klyde
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Mike and Denise (as always...)

Whoa lots of different directions there...I'm busy googling all of them.

You are probably right D, mine is likely KP. If the hoya has interesting leaves in some way, is as strong as an ox, and is easy to bloom, then that is the hoya for me. Now you're laughing at (with?) me, but these hoyas do exist I'm told. I seem to do well with cool-growing plants (maybe cuz I keep the house so freaking cold - heating bills you know). Are carnosa's cool growing?

H. fungii? Looks very sturdy. This brings me to my next question which may deserve a thread of it's own. Where does one buy hoyas when one is Canadian? Can I ask these questions on the forum? I know I can order from certain folk, but certain folk only have certain hoyas. I know there are a lot of hoya growers in Canada, and some of them may be willing to sell. Trades are not much of an option for me as I've not much (ha! nothing) to trade.

Kelly in Victoria

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

This entire group of Hoyas could be considered cool growers so any of them should do well for you. There are some true cold growers as well but they are more difficult to find.

Paul Shirley Succulents in the Netherlands is a major source for Hoya cuttings for most Canadians. Cuttings are always healthy and I have never been disappointed.

Aleya's Garden in Thailand sells unrooted cuttings and ships in either a box or a bubble mailer and there is a great selection. Cuttings from Thailand are often stressed when they arrive so if you go this route we can help you with care tips for successful rooting.

Plumerin sells very nice bare rooted plants or cuttings. Shipping from Thailand can be expensive but the faster the cuttings get to you the better.

Often times there is a Canada East and West spring time order to the Liddles in Australia. If you are lucky you can jump onboard and get access to what is probably the worlds largest collection of Hoyas.

Mountain View Tropicals in BC has a few Hoya species available.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Hoya temperature tolerances on SRQ site.

Sponsored
Columbus Premier Design-Build and General Contractor