Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
quinnfyre

Feel like I'm going crazy... is this lacunosa??

quinnfyre
13 years ago

There is this wonderful scent I've been noticing the past couple days. Light, fresh, and it makes me think of hyacinths. Speckled lacunosa is blooming right now, but when I go over to check on it, the odor does not get stronger as I get closer. I can only smell this lovely scent on the complete opposite side of the room from my plants. Does lacunosa have a scent that wafts more away from it? What's the deal? I haven't brought any new fragrance into my room that smells like this, and besides, it's a fresh, almost green smell that I feel like can only come from something living or freshly cut. I'm trying to avoid having to pull the plant out so I can smell the flower directly, but I may have to do that tomorrow. No complaints about the lovely scent, just a little confused as to where it's coming from!

Comments (6)

• quinnfyre
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Alright, I'm answering myself... It IS lacunosa! This time, I went over to that corner, and sniffed, and got a hint of something. When I bent down to look at the flowers, I ended up at a lower level than the flowers, and that's when I smelled it, strongly. I guess the scent sinks downward? There's a small computer fan over there for a little bit of air circulation, which is probably at the right height to hit the sinking scent of lacunosa and disperse it across the room. This wonderful scent that I can smell from the other side of the room is from ONE umbel. Another one or two are getting close to blooming. Wonder how strong it will be with three blooming at once?

• cpawl
    13 years ago

Hi
    I love how some of the lacunosa's have such a strong fragrance.I have 2 lacunosa that when they bloom it just fill the whole room with her smell.Its so nice when I walk in and take a deep sniff LOL.Then I have a couple EA ones that only smell when you are close to the plant.I think this hoya is one of my favs.When you have time could you post a photo of your speckled lacunosa.I would like to see what the leaves look like.

Cindy

• quinnfyre
    Original Author
    13 years ago

This is not a recent pic, but you can see the leaves:

• cpawl
    13 years ago

Thank you,I need to try and find this one.

Cindy

• Denise
    13 years ago

I think lacunosa has the best scent of all the Hoyas I grow, and it's a good thing since it's so strong! When mine has several blooming at once, the scent hits me when I come in the front door, which is about 18 feet from the plant. It's hard to believe such tiny flowers smell so strong!

Initially, though, when you thought it wasn't lacunosa, what came to mind is a Sansevieria in bloom. They, too, have a sweet fragrance. And they almost always catch me off guard when they bloom because I tend to pretty much ignore the very slow growers...

Good growing!

Denise in Omaha

• peanut01
    13 years ago

I can always tell my Lacunosa are blooming by smell first before seeing the flowers. I grow most my Lacunosas in a southern window upstairs near my bedroom. As I walk past that room in the dark I can always smell these. You will notice that the scent peaks at night when the flower is fully open. No other Hoya beats the scent IMO except possibly DS-70 in full bloom. But single umbel vs umbel Lacunosa packs the biggest punch. I do understand that Obscura is another pleasant smelling Hoya that some find to be the best smelling Hoya. I bought H.davidcummingii since it was described as a wonderful smelling Hoya that others describe as smelling like Candy. Only time will tell.

-David

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville
More Discussions