Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardensnail22

Curtsii finally bloomed

gardensnail22
16 years ago

Well, after waiting forever (really only about a month)and after many buds drying up and falling off my little plant bloomed. I hope the pictures do it justice. There are five clusters that made and one is opening since last night. The smell is really nice, I dont know how to describe it.

Comments (14)

• shanna5
    16 years ago

GS

that is the biggest curtsii I have ever seen. Congratulations on your blooms, makes me want one. How long have you had your curtsii and how big was it when you bought it? Is this the first time it's bloomed? Can you tell me what lighting it is getting? Sorry for all the questions but I was pondering on this hoya and now you have convinced me to get one. thanks

shanna

• gardensnail22
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Shanna I purchased the hoya from the Violet Barn no longer than 2 years ago ( I think ) It was a little tiny thing, It is in my kitchen window and sits about 1 foot below a flouresent light fixture. It is a west exposure but there is a porch out of that window and a large Sycamore tree about 25 feet off the porch. I use Elanors VF-11 at every watering and mist it with the same. I water when dry. This is the first time it has bloomed but has been trying to for a while now. If all the buds it had would have bloomed there would be at least 25-30 clusters. WOW That would have been a sight. I have had no touble with this one growing from the begining now if only my Serpens could behave as well!!! Jane

• shanna5
    16 years ago

Jane,
    Again congratulations on your blooms, can't even imagine have 25 or 30 bloom clusters, that would be awsome. Thanks for the info on your curtsii. I have seen one at lowes and didn't buy it but I am thinking about going today and getting it. When purchasing one is there anything I should be aware of with the curtsii (meaning the condition it's in??). Do you consider it a fast grower then? Sounds like it to me the way you described it when you first got it and your pictures of it now. I also use VF-11 and mist with the same. I have North, East and Southern exposure windows but no west. What is your suggestion on the window placing since I have no western exposure. thanks
    shanna

• pirate_girl
    16 years ago

Wow, that's quite something to see. Fun blooms & great set of pix, so nice to see! That's the largest Curtisii I've ever seen as well.

Can you pls. speak abt the size of the plant, how tall the pot is & maybe how long the hanging portion of the leaves hang. Perhaps if more pix are possible, maybe a soda can next to it to indicate size/scale? It really seems gigantic & I've known it to be a pretty slow grower (for other folks as well).

• PRO
    Jan Sword-Rossman Realty 239-470-6061
    16 years ago

Jane, that is one gorgeous plant in bloom. I can't wait for mine to bloom one of these days. I just love every thing about the curtsil.
    Jan

• ima_digger
    16 years ago

beautiful flowers, great pictures. Thanks for sharing.
    Eileen

• gabro14
    16 years ago

Gorgeous blooms! I used to not be a fan of this hoya but decided to get it one day, and I'm glad I did. It has the coolest leaves - great pattern and feel like cardboard. I have mine in eastern exposure and water when dry. Shanna, if all your hoyas are doing well in a certain exposure, then so will this one.

By the way, I always see this hoya spelled incorrectly on many forums for some reason. Just want to clarify that is it H. curtisii - a lot of people forget that first "i". Anyway, just wanted to post that for all those who would be interested in having the correct ID.

Gabi

• shanna5
    16 years ago

Thanks gabi, we'll see which window I have room for it and go from there.

shanna

• gardensnail22
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks everybody, Shanna, for me it has been a fast grower, I think Garbos correct and if your other hoyas are doing well put it with them. Garbo, I love the leaves too. Thanks for the correct spelling. Pirate Girl, Here are a few more pictures so you can see the size. The bulk of the plant hangs about 15" and it is planted a 3" x 3" ceramic pot with the attached saucer. I thought I had too much pearlite in the soil but obviously it is OK. Today one of the other clusters started too bloom. I love these plants Jane

Try as I may I cant figure how to flip the pictures. Sorry

• gabro14
    16 years ago

Wow. That is one big curtisii. I love how it looks with the blooms. I can't believe how fast it grows for you. Maybe you should change your name from Gardensnail to Gardenjaguar!

Gabi

• Denise
    16 years ago

Very interesting flowers! I have a lot of trouble growing curtisii. I got a big one like that at HD a couple years ago when I was visiting my brother in Indiana. I've lost the main plant, but still have some cuttings - a few in a terrarium-like fishbowl, a few others in with other Hoyas. I'm hoping I can salvage them and get it to come back. It's definitely not your typical Hoya, but it's leaves are so unique, it's hard to resist. Glad to see you're having such great success with it! Congrats!

Denise in Omaha

• pirate_girl
    16 years ago

Absolutely amazing, it IS gigantic, thanks for new Pix & size references. Leaps & bounds bigger than any I've ever seen. Also, I don't know of other folks blooming this Hoya indoors so, really Hurrah for you!!

Really gorgeous leaf patterns. I have a friend who grows this quite moist & it's much darker in color, rich, deep green. Thanks for the pix.

• gardensnail22
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks guys for the kind words. The more I try to remember when I purchased the plant I think it maybe more like 3 or more years. These days time just flies. Next mission is getting my huge compacta to bloom!!! Jane

• epiforums
    16 years ago

Jane,

wonderful macro photos. Especially knowing how small these blooms are. But your secret isn't Eleanor's. It's Diet Barq's! ;)

Sponsored