Return to the Hoya Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Huernia quinta seed

Posted by karyn1 7a (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 9, 11 at 8:00

I finally got a pod to ripen on one of my huernias (hoya relative). It's a H. quinta that was open pollinated. I have a small amount of extra seeds if anyone would like to try them. I was surprised at how fast they have germinated. I planted 5 seeds 2 days ago and 3 have already sprouted. Since it appears that the germination rate will be high I probably have enough for 2 people. BTW this is the first time I've attempted to grow huernias from seed and don't have any idea how easy or difficult they are but I believe they are quite susceptible to rot while young. Please post here if you'd like to try them.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Huernia quinta seed

Karyn,

Let us know how the growth process goes for you. I have never had much success growing from seed, and Huernias I find particularly hard to tend through winter, even hardy old plants. But I keep trying! Their flowers are every bit as exciting as Hoyas, but harder to get.

Denise in Omaha

o
RE: Huernia quinta seed

I'm really surprised at how fast they are growing. They look a bit like adenium seedlings with little horns instead of leaves. The only issues I have with the huernias, stapelias, etc over the winter are the damn mealy bugs. They seem to be a lot hardier then hoya seedlings which I lost early on. I have more difficulty getting my hoyas to bloom then my huernias & stapelias. lol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hoya Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here